NB Pliny the Elder clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grizzly2378

Reaction score
I was browsing the Northern Brewer site today and noticed they have a new kit called The Plinian Legacy. It doesn't come right out and say it in the description, but it's obviously a Pliny the Elder clone. Since I live in South Dakota and have virtually zero chance of getting my hands on the real thing, I am intrigued. I know there are other Pliny clone kits out there. And experiences, good or bad, with them?

Just saw this also. Check out Morebeer. They carry Pliney the Elder in a kit. It comes direct from their brewers.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Home Brew mobile app

I ordered this yesterday! BTW I'm new here but have been brewing for a few years, roughly 40-50 gal a year. Lots of great info here.

I've not seen Amarillo in a Pliny recipe before nor hopshot but what's not to like.
I'm doing Pliny this weekend but I'm following Vinnie's recipe. Still, I like the fact that Austin and NB as well as others, have a Pliny kit.

The Pliney The Elder recipe is out in public and published in the AHA Magazine a couple years ago. You can look it up and compare the kit ingredients to the recipe, or brew it all grain from the recipe. I've tried the recipe from the AHA Magazine and it is an exact clone.

By the way, for best results use reverse osmosis or distilled water and 3 grams (approx 2 tsp) of Sulfate. This will accentuate the hops and make it taste dry and crisp.

Cheers

I am also about to brew this kit but not sure which to do.....any reason why there is over TWENTY DOLLAR difference b/w Morebeer's kit and AHS's kit??? Morebeer loads on shipping (about 18bucks), but if you purchase over 80$ then it's free shipping....meaning their pliny is 50 and AHS's is upper 70's!!! Has anyone tried both? is one better than the other?

I've brewed Vinnie's recipe several times. Even living 20 mins from the brew pub it's hard to get. The line on any weekend day is generally an hour wait just to get in the door. The recipe has worked well for me. I just googled Pliney clone and the first hit was a PDF of a 6 page document written by Vinnie that included a recipe and suggestions for expanding to Pliney the Younger. If I use slap packs of Wyeast 1056 and go with two as the recipe suggests its about $85 for supplies. I've got a batch in secondary right now. It smells great.

The NB kit is only $50, a bit more depending on your yeast choice. Wonder why the More Beer and Austin kits are more?

Thoughts on secondary for this kit? The NB instructions recommend it (as they seem to do for every beer) but I'd need to buy another 6 gal carboy since the volume is higher for this recipe to account for hop loss. I have two secondaries, but they're both 5 gal (and being used). So many beers, so little space!

The NB kit is only $50, a bit more depending on your yeast choice. Wonder why the More Beer and Austin kits are more?

Thoughts on secondary for this kit? The NB instructions recommend it (as they seem to do for every beer) but I'd need to buy another 6 gal carboy since the volume is higher for this recipe to account for hop loss. I have two secondaries, but they're both 5 gal (and being used). So many beers, so little space!

Morebeer is 50 as well. I wouldn't worry with secondary if you cold crash and/or use mesh bag when siphoning to bottle bucket.

Back