Converting from grain to extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtrain

Reaction score
Found this recipe for a beer I truly love was hoping I could get some help converting it to extract.

AMOUNT USE PPG
2-Row Brewers Malt 19.0 lb85 % Mash 37
American Chocolate 16.0 oz4 % Mash 34
2-Row Caramel Malt 60L 16.0 oz4 % Mash 34
Honey Malt 8.0 oz2 % Mash 37
Roasted Barley 6.0 oz1 % Mash 33
Carafa III 6.0 oz1 % Mash 32
Hops

NAME AMOUNT TIME USE FORM AA
Challenger Great Britain 3.0 oz 60 min Boil Pellet 7.5%
Challenger Great Britain 0.75 oz 20 min Boil Pellet 7.5%
Challenger Great Britain 0.75 oz 10 min Boil Pellet 7.5%
Challenger Great Britain 0.5 oz 1 min Boil Pellet 7.5%

The easy way to do it would be to replace the 2-row, chocolate, caramel with dark DME:

14 lbs Dark DME
steep:
6 oz roasted barley
6 oz Carafa III
8 oz Honey Malt.

It would be a little closer to the original recipe if you use 14 lbs Light DME to replace the 2-row and keep all the specialty grains as steeping grains.

My book has a table for these conversions on page 15. On page 198 there is a table of conversions between all grain and DME for most of the different types of malt extract.

Found this recipe for a beer I truly love was hoping I could get some help converting it to extract.

AMOUNT USE PPG
2-Row Brewers Malt 19.0 lb85 % Mash 37
American Chocolate 16.0 oz4 % Mash 34
2-Row Caramel Malt 60L 16.0 oz4 % Mash 34
Honey Malt 8.0 oz2 % Mash 37
Roasted Barley 6.0 oz1 % Mash 33
Carafa III 6.0 oz1 % Mash 32
Hops

NAME AMOUNT TIME USE FORM AA
Challenger Great Britain 3.0 oz 60 min Boil Pellet 7.5%
Challenger Great Britain 0.75 oz 20 min Boil Pellet 7.5%
Challenger Great Britain 0.75 oz 10 min Boil Pellet 7.5%
Challenger Great Britain 0.5 oz 1 min Boil Pellet 7.5%

Here is a good website with a conversion table....http://www.jaysbrewing.com/2011/11/17/lazy-chart-for-converting-dme-lme-grain/

Looks like you would need 14.25 LBS of LME to supplement the 19 LBS of 2-row base malt. I would use Light LME and keep the original recipe for specialty grains.

Just out of curiosity why would you use light malt extract and not dark malt extract?

Just out of curiosity why would you use light malt extract and not dark malt extract?

Well 2-row is pale malt. Your color and flavor comes from specialty grains. If you use dark LME your beer won't have the correct color and flavor according to the style of beer. Also dark LME has other ingredients in it already, hense "dark" LME. If you use dark LME you will have to adjust the recipe for specialty grains in order to keep it as original as possible.

Ah makes sense ty. Ty for the help on this after my ipa brew going to make this bad boy...going to throw some bourbon barrel chunks in the secondary fermenter and let it sit for 4 weeks.

Back