Founders All Day IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wayne1 said:
Simcoe and Amarillo are pretty much sold out across the country. Some vendors may have small quantities that they want a fair amount of money for.

You can try LabelPeelers

My LHBS changed to hopunion for their supplier recently and has both in stock in pellet and leaf for $2.49/oz like all their other hops. Problem is you can't really sub these hops out because they are too unique and distinctive.

I'll brew this (extract) recipe next week (start 4-14-12).

Thanks!

Did you get a chance to brew this? I am drinking a glass of mine that I bottled 3/20 and it is tasting pretty darn good. I also picked up a 6er of the real stuff and notice some differences from my original bottle (I think there is some variance in their finished product or with aging more than a couple of weeks). A little stronger on the flavors and diminished on the aromas, which start to fade very, very quickly anyway. I want to brew this again, but everything is full right now! I think it will be a June brew for me :(

Did you get a chance to brew this? I am drinking a glass of mine that I bottled 3/20 and it is tasting pretty darn good. I also picked up a 6er of the real stuff and notice some differences from my original bottle (I think there is some variance in their finished product or with aging more than a couple of weeks). A little stronger on the flavors and diminished on the aromas, which start to fade very, very quickly anyway. I want to brew this again, but everything is full right now! I think it will be a June brew for me :(

That is what I found too. I prefer this brew from draft when I can find it. I had a bottle in my fridge that was in there for about a month and it was kind of blah. I think the bottle is missing a lot of the aromas coming from the amarillo (or citra) where they come through quite well when you get it on draft.

ColumbusAmongus said:
That is what I found too. I prefer this brew from draft when I can find it. I had a bottle in my fridge that was in there for about a month and it was kind of blah. I think the bottle is missing a lot of the aromas coming from the amarillo (or citra) where they come through quite well when you get it on draft.

I guess that means I'll be brewing this with a tight turnaround in the future to get the wonderful aromas. Not such a bad think though to have to drink the batch in 2 weeks

I had a similar problem. A friend brought a 6 pack over, and we drank 4 of them. They had this great aroma and taste. I had another a few days later. Same great aroma and taste. I decided to wait save the last one for a day when I needed a really tasty beer. When I opened it a few weeks later, a lot of the hop aroma and taste that I loved in the first 5 bottles was gone.

I had a similar problem. A friend brought a 6 pack over, and we drank 4 of them. They had this great aroma and taste. I had another a few days later. Same great aroma and taste. I decided to wait save the last one for a day when I needed a really tasty beer. When I opened it a few weeks later, a lot of the hop aroma and taste that I loved in the first 5 bottles was gone.

Here is a quick blog article about hop aroma where they guy talked to Sierra Nevada and Great Divide about it all. They said aromas in professional beers could last up to 3-4 months (even if diminished). I suspect it is less for a more flawed homebrew process (and I have no doubt my process is more flawed than either SN or GD). <http://captainsbeerblog.com/2010/03/23/fading-hops/>

still looking for something i saw a while back talking about volatility of hop compounds...

Just brewed this ag man it was awesome for a session excellent beer

thanks, we put some work into the recipe formulation. have you had the all day ipa? wondering if this needs more tweaking to be a proper clone. let us know what you think.

I contacted the brewer about the beer and his reply was that they use barley, corn, oats, and wheat along with crystal, simcoe, and amarillo hops. I haven't tried to brew it yet. Hopefully someone can construct a recipe from the info

I contacted the brewer about the beer and his reply was that they use barley, corn, oats, and wheat along with crystal, simcoe, and amarillo hops. I haven't tried to brew it yet. Hopefully someone can construct a recipe from the info

any chance you could post the actual text of the email? thx

Updated Recipe SG=1.048 @75% Efficiency FG=1.012 SRM=6 IBU=43.2 using Rager ABV=4.8%

6lb 15oz Briess 2-row Pale (78%)
1lb 2oz Briess Caramel 20L (13%)
4oz Briess Red Wheat Malt (3%)
4oz Flaked Oats (3%)
4oz Flaked Maize (Corn) (3%)
Mash at a low temp like 148 for 1 hour.

I don't really get the point of using the flaked corn and the flaked oats at the same time. The corn thins the beer and lightens the mouthfeel while the oats thicken the beer and makes the mouthfeel more viscous. Whatever, still a good beer when its fresh. If you want to, double the flaked oats and corn to 8oz each and drop the 2-row to 6lb 7oz.

Hop Schedule
0.25oz Simcoe 60 minutes
0.5oz Simcoe 30 minutes
0.25oz Amarillo 30 minutes
0.75oz Amarillo 8 minutes Dryhop
0.5oz Amarillo 7 days
0.5oz Simcoe 7 days

WLP001 California Ale

I am going to use a very small gypsum addition next time i brew this (literally 1/4 teaspoon for a 5 gallon batch) as I already have pretty good IPA/Pale Ale water. Just something to consider if you are interested.

Extract version does not include wheat or flaked adjuncts, but should still be relatively close. Use 2 cans of Briess CBW Golden Light Extract (1.5kg per can) and 6oz Briess 20L steeped at 150-160F for 30-60 minutes.

Where would the crystal hops go? Worth bothering with them?

They'd probably be an aroma addition, possibly part of the dry hop. I'd probably skip them if I had all the other ingredients, but they would definitely add something significant to the aroma.

Here is the email from the brewer

“Thanks for taking the time to write. We are very committed to making great beer and it always great to hear that people enjoy it. Unfortunately, we cannot share recipe or process details on our beers, but we do wish you all the best on your quest to recreate our All Day IPA. As they say, “The Journey is the Reward”.”

I can say (I think) that we use corn, oats, wheat and barley to 4.7% abv, and hop with crystal, simcoe and amarillo to 42 ibus. I am sure you understand and hope you still enjoy our beers. Thanks again!

Cheers,

Alec

i'm not sure what the crystal hops add to the beer. maybe that's what i thought i picked up as centennial ??? i'd have to brew a batch with crystal to see how it turned out and where i would want to use them. doing a chinook single hop soon. maybe i'll do a crystal single hop after that...

Updated Recipe SG=1.048 @75% Efficiency FG=1.012 SRM=6 IBU=43.2 using Rager ABV=4.8%

6lb 15oz Briess 2-row Pale (78%)
1lb 2oz Briess Caramel 20L (13%)
4oz Briess Red Wheat Malt (3%)
4oz Flaked Oats (3%)
4oz Flaked Maize (Corn) (3%)
Mash at a low temp like 148 for 1 hour.

I don't really get the point of using the flaked corn and the flaked oats at the same time. The corn thins the beer and lightens the mouthfeel while the oats thicken the beer and makes the mouthfeel more viscous. Whatever, still a good beer when its fresh. If you want to, double the flaked oats and corn to 8oz each and drop the 2-row to 6lb 7oz.

Hop Schedule
0.25oz Simcoe 60 minutes
0.5oz Simcoe 30 minutes
0.25oz Amarillo 30 minutes
0.75oz Amarillo 8 minutes Dryhop
0.5oz Amarillo 7 days
0.5oz Simcoe 7 days

WLP001 California Ale

I am going to use a very small gypsum addition next time i brew this (literally 1/4 teaspoon for a 5 gallon batch) as I already have pretty good IPA/Pale Ale water. Just something to consider if you are interested.

Extract version does not include wheat or flaked adjuncts, but should still be relatively close. Use 2 cans of Briess CBW Golden Light Extract (1.5kg per can) and 6oz Briess 20L steeped at 150-160F for 30-60 minutes.

So, did you brew this revised recipe? Any tasting notes? Just curious how close it came to the real thing.

So, did you brew this revised recipe? Any tasting notes? Just curious how close it came to the real thing.

I was just trying to figure out what I was going to brew next. I think it will be this (withing the next 2 weeks).

New recipe notes - I had a really nice pale that used Citra in the dry hops and got some great tangerine notes out of it. The rate was 0.5oz/5gal. I would maybe back down a little off of that, but it could be a good addition if this next batch isn't right (not going to do it in the next one). As far as the Crystal hops go, I would say up to 0.25oz at flame out and maybe a 45-60 minute bittering addition, though I am not sure I would mess with the Simcoe there. I'll stew over it until I brew this and see if I decide to pick up some new hops, or just go with what we have so far.

Thanks for the motivation to brew this again :mug:

Where would the crystal hops go? Worth bothering with them?

Doing a single hop pale ale with Crystal right now. Just wow so far. I have to say this is a nice, undervalued low alpha hop. I am updating my recipe and will be brewing very soon. the Crystal is going to be a flavor and aroma addition for sure, maybe some dry hops (see how it turns out). Very, very nice hop.:mug:

I'm replying to subscribe to this thread and also say thank you to the guys (notably brewski, apparently) who have worked on this recipe for quite some time.

I finally had All Day IPA this Saturday - dang, what a beer! Session IPA is my new favorite "category". :)

That being said, I'm going to throw out a recipe that I'll be brewing once I get my hands on a couple ounces of Amarillo:

7.5# 2-row
1# C20
1# Flaked Oats
--------------
0.25 oz Simcoe - 60 - 13%
0.50 oz Simcoe - 30
0.25 oz Amarillo - 30 - 8.6%
0.75 oz Amarillo - 5
1.00 oz Simcoe - DH (5d)
1.00 oz Amarillo - DH (5d)
1.00 oz Mt. Hood - DH (5d) ...Mt. Hood is a sister to Crystal, so why not?
------------
US-05

It's a bit simpler and fits with what I have (except the 2 oz of Amarillo) in stock. If I write this down, I'll be more likely to brew it in the coming months.

Cheers! :mug:

No Citra. Despite the name, Citra is a tropical and fruity hop. If it's in here then it's only like 0.25 oz. per 5 gallons at whirlpool or dryhop.

Definitely focuses mostly on Centennial. This is a citrusy, orangey, grapefruity beer... not particularly piney and definitely not fruity.

I imagine Founders is trying to make their own version of a more sessionable Bell's Two Hearted. So take that insight with some consideration.

Most likely has Amarillo. Amarillo can be citrusy/floral in small amounts... in large amounts, things get rather fruity.

Possibly Cascade and/or Simcoe... Though I get just a hint of pine and that may be from the Centennial.

In the end, I would settle on the following for total hops by weight:

2/3 (or 3/4) Centennial
1/3 (or 1/4) Amarillo

Very possible, but ZYTHOS is an IPA style hop blend of about 3-4 different proprietary varieties.

Very possible, but ZYTHOS is an IPA style hop blend of about 3-4 different proprietary varieties.

Zythos sounds kinda like a Citra, Simcoe, Sorachi Ace, Amarillo blend from reading reviews. No doubt it would make a killer beer and be a good tweak to the All Day IPA recipe, but it doesn't quite sound right. I'll have to pick some up and try it though.

No Citra. Despite the name, Citra is a tropical and fruity hop. If it's in here then it's only like 0.25 oz. per 5 gallons at whirlpool or dryhop.

Definitely focuses mostly on Centennial. This is a citrusy, orangey, grapefruity beer... not particularly piney and definitely not fruity.

I imagine Founders is trying to make their own version of a more sessionable Bell's Two Hearted. So take that insight with some consideration.

Most likely has Amarillo. Amarillo can be citrusy/floral in small amounts... in large amounts, things get rather fruity.

Possibly Cascade and/or Simcoe... Though I get just a hint of pine and that may be from the Centennial.

In the end, I would settle on the following for total hops by weight:

2/3 (or 3/4) Centennial
1/3 (or 1/4) Amarillo

Funny thing is, I was considering taking part of my next batch and dryhopping it with Citra at a rate of .25-.5oz/5gal batch. Had a friends clone of Hocus Pocus and thought that dryhopping scheme would be great in this beer. As for the hops, I'll be using Amarillo, Simcoe, and Crystal in the next batch. Crystal has similar properties to Centennial though.

I've been listening to Can You Brew It a lot lately and settled on a 60/20/5 minute addition scheme after some test brews. I think it will work out well. I split the Simcoe and Crystal as bittering hops for 60 minutes and 1/2 oz each Simcoe, Amarillo, Crystal with 20 minutes left and 5 minutes left. I plan on dryhopping with 1/2 oz each Simcoe, Amarillo, and Crystal for a week once the beer is in secondary (planning on about a 10 day primary).

Projected SG=1.048, FG=1.012, IBU=44 (Rager), SRM=6, BU:GU=0.92

Grain bill
6# 12oz Briess 2 row pale ale
1# 2ox Briess 20L
12oz Flaked oats
4oz Briess Red Wheat
mashed at 150F for 1 hour.

I haven't used flaked corn yet, so I didn't want to mess with it (something about mass marketed beer and lightening body with corn adjunct kinda spoils it for me).

2 weeks to carbonate once the beer is bottled. I'll let you know what I think when its done.

Have you or anyone else tried this recipe? Looks too simple for some reason.

UPDATED: Using Amarillo hops

I'm thinking its just base malt with some light caramels for a touch of color.

single infusion mash with 75% efficiency. SG=1.048 FG=1.012 SRM=6 IBU=42.1 using Rager. ABV clocks in between 4.4% and 4.8% depending on the yeast strain used.

3.36kg 2-row base malt
0.63kg Caramel 20L

0.75oz Cascade 8.9%AA 50 minutes
0.50oz Amarillo 8.6%AA 25 minutes
1 oz Amarillo 8.6%AA 10 minutes
1 oz Centennial 9.9%AA Dryhop for 1 week

Use a neutral yeast like WLP001, or whatever you use for your house strain. Wyeast 1056? Safale US-05?

You can sub in 3kg Briess CBW Golden Light LME and remove all grains to get about 4.5%ABV and SRM=5 with IBU=43. Let's get some discussion on this idea and see what people think about it. If you want to adjust the color darker, use a little bit of Chocolate malt since it acts like a Caramel malt in small quantities and won't change the flavor like a roasted barley or black patent malt will. You also don't need to mash chocolate malt, just steep for 30 minutes between 140-170F (closer to 140 for less bitterness from the husk).

I used Cascade for bitterness and the citrus peel flavor. i used the centennial dry hopping flavors and aroma because i use it frequently and thought i tasted it, but not overpowering.

:mug:

Have you or anyone else tried this recipe? Looks too simple for some reason.

yeah, i made it and it wasn't right. nice beer though. doing this right now (dryhopped today) so I am still about 3-4 weeks out from having beer to really try for this.

5 gal
Projected SG=1.048, FG=1.012, IBU=44 (Rager), SRM=6, BU:GU=0.92

Grain bill
6# 12oz Briess 2 row pale ale
1# 2ox Briess 20L
12oz Flaked oats
4oz Briess Red Wheat
mashed at 150F for 1 hour.

hop arrangement
bittering: 50% simcoe and 50% crystal
20 minutes: 0.5oz each of Simcoe, Amarillo, and Crystal.
5 minutes: 0.5oz each of Simcoe, Amarillo, and Crystal (I would increase the Amarillo here I think).
Dryhop: 0.5oz each of Simcoe, Amarillo, and Crystal.

I used WLP862 Cry Havoc which was fresh off a lager cycle and it fermented beautifully (and very clean at 68F).

I need to use what hops I have in the freezer... so what do you all think: dry hop with Simcoe, or Cascade/Columbus blend?

(used only Simcoe/Amarillo during the boil)

Or Citra... I know it's not the recipe but has anyone tried a Citra dryhop? How'd it turn out?

BassBeer said:
I need to use what hops I have in the freezer... so what do you all think: dry hop with Simcoe, or Cascade/Columbus blend?

(used only Simcoe/Amarillo during the boil)

I would put some of the simcoe in dry hop. If you we're light handed with the cascade/Cbus hopping, it should remain in the background nicely. I would probably use about 1/2-3/4 oz of simcoe, no more than 1/4 oz each of cascade and Cbus, and you could try out the citra, but I'm not sure how it would meld with the other dry hops. It would probably do well subbing for the simcoe though.

image-2367724255.jpg

My clone today. I think the hops are right, just need a little adjusting.

Nice, just read through this whole thread and awesome dedication in sticking with it!
This beer is really great but with it's high drinkability it disappears quickly so a clone would be awesome. I've had this idea in my mind for a little while now that I want a session IPA, perhaps even closer to 4% than this, that I could just plow through a handful of pints and still not feel like I'm going to fall over.

Question is do I go this route or go my own way?

5 Gallon batch size
OG=1.040 FG=1.012 SRM=6 IBU=40 (Rager) I got 70% Extract efficiency. I think I mashed at 148F.

6# 12oz Briess 2-row
1# 2oz Briess Caramel 20L
12oz flaked oats
4oz Briess Red Wheat

8g Crystal 3.4AA leaf 60 min
6g Simcoe 14.1AA leaf 60 min
14g Amarillo 8.6AA pellet 20 min
14g Crystal 3.4AA leaf 20 min
14g Simcoe 14.1AA leaf 20 min
14g Amarillo 8.6AA pellet 5 min
14g Crystal 3.4AA leaf 5 min

Dryhop (7 days)
14g Simcoe 14.1AA
14g Amarillo 8.6AA
14g Crystal 3.4AA

I used WLP862 Cry Havoc (british yeast qualities) because its my house strain. I plan on culturing some Bells yeast soon. Suggest WLP001 or equivalent if you don't have Bells yeast, but anything mild/neutral will work.

My only change would be less of the Crystal hops for flavor, maybe half, and add simcoe to balance the IBU, or just increase one of the bittering additions. I also love Amarillo, so I wouldn't be opposed to bumping up the 5 minute addition of Amarillo for more aroma. I thought this was a really close recipe as it is. I will probably add about 1/4 oz of Citra for dryhop next time to get a mild tangerine.

For extract, just use some Briess CBW Golden Light and make sure you pitch enough yeast and have a healthy fermentation. You will finish a tiny bit higher (1.014 maybe?), but it should be close enough. If you think that's a little dark or too much crystal malt in the extract, the Briess CBW Pilsen Light has less crystal malt sweetness to me. I don't think the flaked adjuncts are all that important in this beer.

Cheers :mug:

^^ ill be brewing this up very soon, in ten gallon batches. Thanks for doing the legwork!

5 Gallon batch size
OG=1.040 FG=1.012 SRM=6 IBU=40 (Rager) I got 70% Extract efficiency. I think I mashed at 148F.

6# 12oz Briess 2-row
1# 2oz Briess Caramel 20L
12oz flaked oats
4oz Briess Red Wheat

8g Crystal 3.4AA leaf 60 min
6g Simcoe 14.1AA leaf 60 min
14g Amarillo 8.6AA pellet 20 min
14g Crystal 3.4AA leaf 20 min
14g Simcoe 14.1AA leaf 20 min
14g Amarillo 8.6AA pellet 5 min
14g Crystal 3.4AA leaf 5 min

Dryhop (7 days)
14g Simcoe 14.1AA
14g Amarillo 8.6AA
14g Crystal 3.4AA

I used WLP862 Cry Havoc (british yeast qualities) because its my house strain. I plan on culturing some Bells yeast soon. Suggest WLP001 or equivalent if you don't have Bells yeast, but anything mild/neutral will work.

My only change would be less of the Crystal hops for flavor, maybe half, and add simcoe to balance the IBU, or just increase one of the bittering additions. I also love Amarillo, so I wouldn't be opposed to bumping up the 5 minute addition of Amarillo for more aroma. I thought this was a really close recipe as it is. I will probably add about 1/4 oz of Citra for dryhop next time to get a mild tangerine.

For extract, just use some Briess CBW Golden Light and make sure you pitch enough yeast and have a healthy fermentation. You will finish a tiny bit higher (1.014 maybe?), but it should be close enough. If you think that's a little dark or too much crystal malt in the extract, the Briess CBW Pilsen Light has less crystal malt sweetness to me. I don't think the flaked adjuncts are all that important in this beer.

Cheers :mug:

I may have to try this with your suggestions. I'd hate to ruin it by adding citra. Citra = cat urine.

BrewmeisterSmith said:
I may have to try this with your suggestions. I'd hate to ruin it by adding citra. Citra = cat urine.

Also half the crystal dry hop addition. Enjoy

Never understood the whole 'Citra = cat piss' thing. Smells and tastes amazing to most, but the others hate it. Not sure if there's a more polarizing hop.

Taking my chances with a very similar brew next weekend using simcoe, amarillo, and citra. Yes, citra.

Back