Bought a 2nd fermenting bucket..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carlk47

Reaction score
..now I feel more relaxed that if I "screwup" a batch, I can always have another going anyways :) Only problem is.. who is going to drink all of this beer that I plan to make? My family and friends are going to love me when I start handing out 6 packs to them every couple of weeks

carlk47 said:
..now I feel more relaxed that if I "screwup" a batch, I can always have another going anyways :) Only problem is.. who is going to drink all of this beer that I plan to make? My family and friends are going to love me when I start handing out 6 packs to them every couple of weeks

I want to get a second fermenter too. I was just "complaining" to a few people at work about how I *almost* like brewing better than drinking and am having *trouble* drinking as fast as I brew (I know, pretty great problems to have - life is hard for me...).

Long story short, I have no shortage of willing helpers looking to destroy some beer.

I think my biggest issue is I am very excited to try a bunch of different recipes. I have been seriously considering getting some smaller buckets for 1 or 2 gal batches.

It just seems like so many recipes are set up with standard amounts for 5 gal size. If I go down to a gallon I have to split that 3lb bag and only pull out 0.6lb. I'd have to use my scale and everything.

Also, getting the whole thing set up for bottling and then only bottling like 10-12 bottles seems hard. It's one thing to get it set up and pull out 48 bottles. It seems like loading up the car to drive to your next door neighbors house.

Yeah,that's why I've been doing 5 & 6 gallon batches. I'm giving my old Cooper's micro brew FV a final cleaning/rinsing/sanitizing for today's pm pale ale of my own design. I can ferment up to 6.5 gallons in it & still have good head space. So this 5G ale might not need a blow off. But I'll do it anyway. The micro brew FV is a tough lil fermenter that has worked quite well for me.

Even if you only pop one or two open each day that works out to about 5 gallons a month.

A normal batch for me takes about that if not a bit longer before I would even think of opening one.

Two fermenters is a good idea..:)

bosco

I think my biggest issue is I am very excited to try a bunch of different recipes. I have been seriously considering getting some smaller buckets for 1 or 2 gal batches.

It just seems like so many recipes are set up with standard amounts for 5 gal size. If I go down to a gallon I have to split that 3lb bag and only pull out 0.6lb. I'd have to use my scale and everything.

Also, getting the whole thing set up for bottling and then only bottling like 10-12 bottles seems hard. It's one thing to get it set up and pull out 48 bottles. It seems like loading up the car to drive to your next door neighbors house.

That's where all grain BIAB makes more sense. Smaller bags are easier to handle on a 2 gallon batch and can be done stovetop. Its very easy to scale all grain recipes since they are weighed out at the LHBS and the hops are scaled to order as well.

I take it you don't drink a lot of beer? Well,there are always the holidays & weekend parties...:tank:

I do like me some beer, but yea I don't drink quite as much as I used to(quantity wise).. I probably go through a 12 pack per week, unless it is a party than I might do that in one night :)

Finally got my chest freezer ready for fementation with two carboys going at the same time. Amazing how much time I spend on this new "hobby".

I found with my 1st pm kit from midwest that I can do biab partial mash/partial boil in my 5G SSBK. Worked out real well. Getting ready to do another one now.

I am asking for some 2 gallon buckets for Christmas so I can brew some 1 gallon batches.. It does seem like a lot of work for less beer but then I can experiment and try some styles of beer that I wouldn't normally thinking of doing a 5 gal batch of. I reserve my 5 gallon batches for beers that I am confident I will like

carlk47 said:
I am asking for some 2 gallon buckets for Christmas so I can brew some 1 gallon batches.. It does seem like a lot of work for less beer but then I can experiment and try some styles of beer that I wouldn't normally thinking of doing a 5 gal batch of. I reserve my 5 gallon batches for beers that I am confident I will like

My thoughts exactly.

HD, Menards, and Lowes have food grade 5 gal. buckets for about five bucks with lids. Just drill a hole and. stick a fifty cent grommet in and your good to go.

HD, Menards, and Lowes have food grade 5 gal. buckets for about five bucks with lids. Just drill a hole and. stick a fifty cent grommet in and your good to go.

I actually picked one of those up at Lowe's yesterday to use as my sanitizing bucket.. $3.99 for the bucket.. didn't get a lid so not sure what the cost was

Back