Extracting wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jknapp12105

Reaction score
I did my first AG batch and when I was trying to extract the wort, I made a freaking mess. I was using cheesecloth. Maybe I did not layer it good enough. Any tips on making this process easier?
How do y'all do it? Thanks for the help!

Man, that one question has many answers. I use a mash tun. What is your mashing process? It is a vital piece of information in this question.

I layered my cooler with cheese cloth, then placed grains on top of cheesecloth, poured my hot water on top of it, let it sit, then pressed to extract wort. It was hard to get all the extract because the grain wasn't elevated from the bottom of the cooler. It was a cluster

I layered my cooler with cheese cloth, then placed grains on top of cheesecloth, poured my hot water on top of it, let it sit, then pressed to extract wort. It was hard to get all the extract because the grain wasn't elevated from the bottom of the cooler. It was a cluster

Yeah, that sounds like it would be a cluster all right.

I'd either suggest getting some huge mesh bags and using them (BIAB, brewing in a bag) or build a manifold or a braid as a separation medium for your grain/wort.

Yooper said:
Yeah, that sounds like it would be a cluster all right.

I'd either suggest getting some huge mesh bags and using them (BIAB, brewing in a bag) or build a manifold or a braid as a separation medium for your grain/wort.

I like your idea. I will build basically a big strainer in my bucket

P1010033.jpg

a braid is your cheapest option. Otherwise you can rig up a manifold

lautermanifold.jpg

or get a false bottom

Lauter_tun(2).jpg

That does sound like a hot mess.. Full of dough balls, and a crap ton of husks in the beer!

I'd suggest getting the stuff to build a valve on your cooler, and getting a SS braid, or a Bazooka tube. Makes it really simple.

Or, go the easier approach if you aren't concerned with loss on efficiency, which might not much much of anything, and do the BIAB approach. Grab some paint strainer bags, or make your own. Bag in the cooler, water in the cooler, stir, sit, and drain.

Back