First Time Ferm Temp Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopChef

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey all, getting ready to start my first brew tomorrow. I have been monitoring my fermenting room (spare bathroom) with a digital monitor for a week and it is a steady 70 degrees, with a 3-4 degree swing between 68 and 72. I've debated fermenting in a swamp cooler but wanted to know with these temps if it was really necessary. I'm brewing a Brewer's Best PSA IPA.

Thanks, and let the addiction begin!

I ferment at room temp (70 deg F)--probably varies like yours but I've never checked. My guess is that the 4 degree variation in temp that you describe should not have a discernable impact on the final product. It does however depend on the yeast strain. You can check that. Not sure what yeast is in that kit. Probably ale and you should be fine.

HopChef said:
Hey all, getting ready to start my first brew tomorrow. I have been monitoring my fermenting room (spare bathroom) with a digital monitor for a week and it is a steady 70 degrees, with a 3-4 degree swing between 68 and 72. I've debated fermenting in a swamp cooler but wanted to know with these temps if it was really necessary. I'm brewing a Brewer's Best PSA IPA.

Thanks, and let the addiction begin!

Short answer: use the swamp cooler, active fermentation will raise the actual temp in the primary 5-10 degrees:)

duboman said:
Short answer: use the swamp cooler, active fermentation will raise the actual temp in the primary 5-10 degrees:)

That and the yeast will ALWAYS throw less off flavors the more stable the temperature. Yeast do not like rapid temperature fluctuations. The swamp cooler will help you get the temp you need and minimize the swings.

Hooking a temp controller up to a mini fridge was the best thing I ever did for my beer.

Back