Reverse a cold crash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dougal

Reaction score
Have an imperial stout in the secondary, got impatient and decided I wanted to keg it so that I can pull a pint every now and then while it does some more aging. So i started cold crashing it at 33F. Going to be leaving town and wont get around to kegging it for another couple weeks. If I raise the temp back up will the yeast come back into suspension or are they done for good after cold crashing?

My last batch of brew was ridden with diacetyl dew to my impatience (most likely). Im worried about this one now. Its been crashing for a week, if I raise the temp will the yeast go back to work cleaning things up?
Thanks

I'm going to disagree. Diacetyl reduction may happen slowly after cold crashing, but may not. All of that alcohol is going to dramatically lower your chances of success. Impatience rarely does a beer good.
This would have been a perfect opportunity for you to NOT be impatient, since you aren't even going to be around while it's sitting cold. If you need beer sooner, brew more frequently or hit up the liquor store.
would suggest if you come back and notice more diacetyl than you can stand, make a 1L starter of ale yeast and pitch into it 18hr later at 68° along with a few ounces of corn sugar, leave it for five or ten days (relieving pressure a couple of times daily if it's kegged) and hope it cleans up.
If you're running low on beer, an eight-hour double brew day will do wonders for the long run. ;-)

Back