White Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OatStraw

Reaction score
Greetings all I'm new to the boards and if you’d like you can read my introduction on the appropriate thread.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f29/greetings-oklahoma-263073/

I made a White Ale last year for the super bowl and it turned out amazingly. I am going to attempt a remake and enter it into a competition in November, but was thinking about making some little changes. Are there any "extra" ingredients you all use on white ales that can give it a little bit more distinction?

I am thinking about adding some type of cream to it to give it a little thicker of body. I have no clue if this would turn the brew into a complete disaster or not. Any ideas?

Hello,

I just read your intro threat and I've also been brewing Extracts for little more than a year now. I agree that it is a not let time consuming than AG and that the results can be pretty spectaculat. My only issue is the color of the beer. I now that extract brewing naturally tends towards darker colors due to carmelization, but I'd love to know how you keep your white ales white using extracts.

For me most of the extracts call to put all the extract in at the beginning. I've found that by spacing this out even If I put 3/4 in at beginning the color is a little lighter. I don't know if this is the right way or not. Also put the irish moss directly into the wart and not the bag helps.

I don't know about adding cream. Or any oil (including fats, such as butterfat). When I make maple syrup, just the amount of cream that sticks to a toothpick is enough to drop the boil foam. On some of my hefe's, the head is -- well, the whole glass is head. Same deal, as little as it is, just dipping a toothpick into cream and swirling that around the top of the head is enough to collapse the head completely, within seconds, and no more head for any beer int the same glass until after the glass has been washed.

Like I said, IDK, I know there are plenty of additives to reduce foaming/boil-over, and some recipes (at least one I've read) advocate the use of a drop or some such amount to the boil to prevent boil-overs.

Anybody? And congrats on the beer! I wish you success in the competition. Just a thought, though - since it was/is already a terrific recipe, why mess with it?:drunk::mug:

Back