Washing/ Harvesting/ Re-Using Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcbethenstein

Reaction score
Ok, so I'm sure somewhere in 95 different threads are the answers to my questions, but I'm gonna ask anyway.

I'm new to washing yeast and have only washed 3 times and re-used on 3 beers with varying success. So my issue is this... I washed and built up a starter for a hefe using WLP300. The first beer wash great, huge banana flavor. The second one, not so much. I think I learned my lesson that hefe yeast probably shouldn't be re-used since SO much of the beer relies on the yeast.

So Q1: what yeasts should not be washed and re-used? Why? (if you have any insight)

Q2: would building up a starter with fresh yeast and then washing & storing improve the integrity of the yeast? As opposed to washing after primary?

Q3: are there any strains that are very stable, from one generation to the next that lend very well to washing?

I don't brew enough of the same styles to rack onto the cake. And I am not yet ready to slant yeast, but I can make starters and wash, so I'm hoping for a solution that works at the step I'm at.

This would be good info to have IMO. I was planning to wash the yeast from an IPA i have thats ready, but after more reading it looks like since it is

A. a big beer with an OG of 1.082
and
B. has a lot of hops

that this isn't the ideal scenario to wash yeast. I'm looking forward to seeing what the pros here suggest.

Back