anyone use paint.net?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unionrdr

Homebrewer, author & air gun collector
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've just about had it! I'm trying to use paint.net's replacement for windows paint to make beer bottle labels. This freaking thing won't let me take another image & put it on the label. It let's me move/adjust the box for the image,but doesn't move the image itself. Does anybody know how to use this friggin thing. I'm getting beyond frustrated.
I tried to register on their site,but got errors with the link in the e-mail. Even the id# & string of #'s & characters doesn't work. I've got the total kill here. I just wanna finish my dang label,not to mention copy a page full for printing.:mad::mad::mad:

I've been using GIMP which is a very powerful free open source image editor. It's on the same level as Photoshop. It's worth learning how to use. It sounds like what you want to do involves "layers" (superimposing one image over another). You can't do that with MS Paint. I don't know about Paint.net though.

http://www.gimp.org

I'm pretty familiar w/ Paint.NET. Its a pretty nice upgrade from MS Paint but not as full featured as say, Photoshop. Lord Garth is correct. You need to put the image on its own layer if you would like to move them independently.

Find the Layers window and click the left most button w/ the little green plus sign to create a new layer.

layersx.png

Hope that is helpful.

Here are some other Paint.NET layer related tutorials:
http://www.techtutor.tv/tag/basic-paintnet

Thanx for the links guys. Especially the tutorial on paint.net. I'll try to figure this one out 1st. If I still can't get it to work,then onto the next one. I have a week or so left to git-r-done. I just have trouble with how to manipulate the layers to get the pic in place,resize,etc. I can put the little box where I want it,adjust the size,but can't get the actual pic in that spot.

Oh happy day! I finally figured out what I was doing wrong. I tried to use an image I'd already altered to insert in the artwork. You have to design your label, save it,(always save each step with a different file name),then go to "layer" in the upper tool bar,& click on it. Go down to "import from file" to upload your chosen pic. It'll put it in the upper left hand corner of the work area. The program will auto-select the "move select pixels" icon in the tool window. You use that to re-size the pic pretty close (you don't have to,but easier to see around it). Then left click to grab the image & drag it to where you want it. You can then resize it more precisely to the chosen area.
You can then go to the tool window & select the "rectangle select" icon to click on the edges of the pic to get rid of them. You are then free to complete your artwork. Have fun. I'll put my 1st self designed label in the "show us your label" thread.

Alright! Glad to hear you were able to get paint.net to work. Its not perfect but its free, which goes a long way in my book.

Thanx! Glad I finally figured out what you were saying. I saved a copy of it with a blank black center. That way,I can change the artwork to suite the name inserted in the orange field. I posted my label on page 19 of the "show us your label" thread.:ban:

Latest posts

Back