IPA wort not bitter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zickefoose

Reaction score
4.75gal batch
8lb American 2-Row Pale
2lb 4oz Vienna
2lb 4oz Rye
2lb Rice
1lb Crystal 90L

1oz Warrior 60min
.5oz Warrior 30min
.5oz Citra 30min
1oz Cascade 25min
.5oz Citra 5min

WLP023 Burton Ale Yeast

Due to a stuck sparge, we only got 45% efficiency :( so our OG is 1.053 instead of 1.087. After pitching the yeast and checking gravity we tasted it and there was no bitterness in it at all. Rooftop brew put it at 122 IBU's. Is this normal?

I've already decided that we won't be getting a true Imperial IPA due to the gravity, but I'm afraid it'll be far too bitter to drink.

4.75gal batch
8lb American 2-Row Pale
2lb 4oz Vienna
2lb 4oz Rye
2lb Rice
1lb Crystal 90L

1oz Warrior 60min
.5oz Warrior 30min
.5oz Citra 30min
1oz Cascade 25min
.5oz Citra 5min

WLP023 Burton Ale Yeast

Due to a stuck sparge, we only got 45% efficiency :( so our OG is 1.053 instead of 1.087. After pitching the yeast and checking gravity we tasted it and there was no bitterness in it at all. Rooftop brew put it at 122 IBU's. Is this normal?

I've already decided that we won't be getting a true Imperial IPA due to the gravity, but I'm afraid it'll be far too bitter to drink.

Sorry to hear about the gravity issues - if it really turns out too bitter, you may look into brewing something malty with a similar grain bill and combining the two batches.

As far as the taste of the wort, in my experience it will always taste sweet because the massive amount of unfermented sugar overrides the bitterness.

Thanks. That makes sense, didn't think of that... This might be an excuse for me to brew something along side it :)

What if I added a pound of honey into my primary to drive down my final gravity, try to get somemore alcohol content out of it.

Wouldn't the honey ferment a little, driving your ABV up?

I have a few left from an IPA I did back in October. It came in at 117IBU. I like hoppy/bitter beers, but this was WAY out of my comfort zone. What you can do is bottle it, try it, and if its too hoppy, let it sit for a few months. Mine is really starting to mellow out and its starting to taste pretty freakin' good.

It would bump the gravity and therefore ABV, but you'd be risking the body and mouthfeel of the finished product. What was your mash temp? If it was in the higher range, you might get away with it. I'd opt for the less expensive corn sugar, though.

Personally, I would strongly recommend giving it a taste before adding sugar. Let it run its course, taste it, and then add a pound of sugar if you're really unhappy.

I think you're still going to have good beer if you let nature take its course, even though it won't be the screaming monster that was planned. :)

I wanted to mash at 150 but mashing is pretty new to me (this is my 3rd mash) and I ended up at 158... :/

My IBU's are at 122 right now so I'm gonna add a pound of corn sugar which should bring me to 110 I believe.

Back