Where do you buy grains?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ALPS

Reaction score
Where is your favorite place to buy grains? My "local HBS" is unpredictable at best with what they stock, when they have it and what it costs. I'm looking to buy several 55# sacks of grain with a brewing buddy and want to get the best dea lI can.

I've always ended buying them at the LHBS. When shipping costs are taken into account, it ends up being the best value. I get #55 sacks of 2 row then purchase the specialty grains as I need them.

RichBrewer said:
I've always ended buying them at the LHBS. When shipping costs are taken into account, it ends up being the best value. I get #55 sacks of 2 row then purchase the specialty grains as I need them.

Yeah,shipping costs do add up in a hurry.

What do you pay for for your 55 lbs of 2 row?

RichBrewer said:
If I remember correctly, I paid about $28.00 for a 55 pound bag and then 8.1% tax.

Malted barley is food and is not taxed. $28 is a good price though. Too bad Denver is about 1400 miles away, but it is a nice area to visit.

ALPS said:
Malted barley is food and is not taxed. $28 is a good price though. Too bad Denver is about 1400 miles away, but it is a nice area to visit.

Food is not taxed unless you live in Tennessee. Everything that is sold is taxed at the local rate of 9.25% in Johnson City, including food. Good thing there isn't an income tax. Although as I'm spending more than I'm making, maybe I should consider moving...

Steering back on topic - My local homebrew shop can get me a 50 pound sack of 2-row for $35. I get all my grain locally, or semi locally, which means I'll drive up to an hour away as long as I can get grain and a good pint in the same town.

Lucky for me, there's no tax on grain. But ask me about my property tax. I could get a kickass B3 sculpture and many years supply of grain for my annual property tax.

ALPS said:
That's correct. I didn't get charged tax. I forgot about that.

LHBS
$.99/lb crushed
Huge selection, they are actually the back half of a brew Pub, so the consistency seems to be there

www.pointbrewsupply.com

They treat me great. I drive up there when I can, but when I can't shipping isn't bad. I just ordered a 50# sack of cracked wheat, a few specialty grains, some hops, and a vial of yeast. Under $50 including shipping. I am a loyal customer of thiers.

Some places have set shipping costs. Austinhomebrew is $5.99, and morebeer is free if you buy more that $60 worth of stuff. So, the weight of the grains doesnt come into play.

Sir Sudster said:
ALPS, if your on the east coast check out :

:http://www.northcountrymalt.com/index.html:ban:

Yeah, I found them, too. I can get a pallet of up to 40 sacks (2200#!!) shipped for a flat rate of $90. Prices are really good, too, but I'd like to find some other brewers in the area to share the shipping with just to lower the cost even more.

ALPS said:
Yeah, I found them, too. I can get a pallet of up to 40 sacks (2200#!!) shipped for a flat rate of $90. Prices are really good, too, but I'd like to find some other brewers in the area to share the shipping with just to lower the cost even more.

2,200 pounds of two-row. Man, that's a serious amount of beer. Like 1,100 gallons if you figure that a five gallon batch uses about 10 pounds of 2-row. :drunk:

Back