wine yeast cake?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimbobminogue

Reaction score
When making wine coolers can you just siphon off you finished product and reuse the same yeast at the bottom? Do you need any yeast nutrient/energizer? If you can, how many times can it be repeated or is once the max?

I have a yeast slurry of Lalvin 71B that I started on a white grape peach wine and is now at the bottom of a clearing skeeter pee wine. I plan to use it again on a mead coming up soon. It should work. However I will still use normal nutrient additions as I would with fresh yeast.

How exactly is that done if you are using it on a different receipe? Do you strain all the liquid off and then scrape it back into a carboy?

There is a small amount of flavor that carries from recipe to recipe but when dealing with 5 gallons at a time it Is not much. I just use simple cheese cloth to strain out any pulp and then pour in the yeast cake when ready.

You can either dump it right on top or then shake the hell out of the fermenter or you can yeast wash.

Back