Mast tun design help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benzy4010

Reaction score
M making a mash run but want to do somthing different with the internal parts. I have a brass nipple on the inside of the cooler where I was planning on attaching a braid however has anyone uses somthing else instead if a mesh braid? I don't really want to use a cpvc manifold either. Can you use tubing like a silicone tube and just plug one end and somehow poke small holes? Or should I just go Witt mesh? I'm just thinking the weight of grain will crush the mesh tube or it will end up corroding

I batch sparge and I think a braid works the best. its also the cheapest and its easy to do.

just a 5 gallon rubbermaid poverty pail , a bargainfittings 2-piece valve kit and a toilet braid. works like a charm.

Poking holes in silicone won't work. It's so flexible that the holes will basically close themselves back up. You would have to drill holes to actually remove some material.

Basically, any heat resistant material could make a manifold. The sky is the limit. It's just a matter of making a million little holes in it. (The braided mesh comes with those million holes already, so it is pretty convenient. ) If you are batch sparging, it's' pretty simple. If you are fly sparging, you'll want to look at some common configurations to make sure your design creates uniform flow.

+1 for copper manifold. Take a dremel or a hack saw and cut slits into it. They make excellent false bottoms and last forever.

+1 for the copper manifold. The silicone will just collapse. I used to use a SS braid but switched that out as well because I was leaving too much wort in the MT. I designed a square manifold that fits snug into a round cooler. I did not solder any joints and it slips right onto the nipple of the ball valve with a slight "snap" into place. When done mashing I can remove it easily, take it apart and clean it out and it almost completely drains my tun.

I already have a ten foot piece of cpvc but not sure how to connect the manifold to the nipple or ball value

I have been using a stainless braided hose for years. No problems, easy to make, and cheap. Remember to pull the plastic liner out.

Thread a 1/2" copper fitting onto that nipple and make a nice manifold from there. Like someone said before, no need to solder since the fittings don't need to be water tight.

Here is my manifold, I drilled holes into all the tubes and they are on the bottom, not visible, this set up leaves only .25 gallons of wort as dead space.

image-1874788172.jpg

With a toilet braid will this be sufficient? Is that dip gonna cause a problem?

Back