Green Tea Pale recipe help?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jazzimi

Reaction score
Hey everyone, someone just told me about a recent trip they took out to Portland where they tried some green tea infused beer. All they could tell me was that it was "incredibly refreshing". So I read around on the forums, and out of just a couple threads and not much in the way of recipes. So I'ma give it a shot...

For the Base Recipe via Hopville:

Batch size: 2.0 gallons edit

Original Gravity: 1.054 / 13.3° Plato (1.048 to 1.056)
Final Gravity: 1.015 / 3.8° Plato (1.013 to 1.016)
Color: 8° SRM / 16° EBC (Gold to Copper)
Bitterness: 27.7 IBU
Alcohol: 5.2% ABV
Mash Efficiency ? 70% edit

% LB OZ MALT OR FERMENTABLE PPG °L
47% 2 0 American Two-row Pale
35% 1 8 White Wheat Malt
12% 0 8 Honey Malt
6% 0 4 Belgian Aromatic

hops
boil 45 mins 0.125 Sorachi Ace pellet 13.7
boil 15 mins 0.125 Sorachi Ace pellet 13.7
boil 5 mins 0.25 Sorachi Ace pellet 13.7

yeast:
1/2 packet US-05

I figure to mash higher - around 154-155 and should get some sweetness out of the honey malt. Then with the Sorachi Ace, maybe have a bit of lemony flavor some through.

The only problem now is how to add the tea. Since I'll be bottling this one, I thought I could just boil the sugar for bottling and afterwards steep a 1/2 oz of some nice green tea from teavana for 5 minutes while it's cooling down, then just strain and bottle like normal. I saw some people had talked about using matcha powder?

Any thoughts or suggestions from past experience would be great. Thanks!

sounds good just steep it with the priming sugar,Im shure the flavor will fade over time, is 5 min recommended for that tea itself?

Jazzimi said:
Hey everyone, someone just told me about a recent trip they took out to Portland where they tried some green tea infused beer. All they could tell me was that it was "incredibly refreshing". So I read around on the forums, and out of just a couple threads and not much in the way of recipes. So I'ma give it a shot...

For the Base Recipe via Hopville:

Batch size: 2.0 gallons edit

Original Gravity: 1.054 / 13.3° Plato (1.048 to 1.056)
Final Gravity: 1.015 / 3.8° Plato (1.013 to 1.016)
Color: 8° SRM / 16° EBC (Gold to Copper)
Bitterness: 27.7 IBU
Alcohol: 5.2% ABV
Mash Efficiency ? 70% edit

% LB OZ MALT OR FERMENTABLE PPG °L
47% 2 0 American Two-row Pale
35% 1 8 White Wheat Malt
12% 0 8 Honey Malt
6% 0 4 Belgian Aromatic

hops
boil 45 mins 0.125 Sorachi Ace pellet 13.7
boil 15 mins 0.125 Sorachi Ace pellet 13.7
boil 5 mins 0.25 Sorachi Ace pellet 13.7

yeast:
1/2 packet US-05

I figure to mash higher - around 154-155 and should get some sweetness out of the honey malt. Then with the Sorachi Ace, maybe have a bit of lemony flavor some through.

The only problem now is how to add the tea. Since I'll be bottling this one, I thought I could just boil the sugar for bottling and afterwards steep a 1/2 oz of some nice green tea from teavana for 5 minutes while it's cooling down, then just strain and bottle like normal. I saw some people had talked about using matcha powder?

Any thoughts or suggestions from past experience would be great. Thanks!

I have made several batches of Green Tea Ale. I steep 6 green tea bags in a half gallon jug of cold water for 90 minutes (shaking occasionally). Then I remove the tea bags and dump the half gallon of tea into my secondary.

sounds good just steep it with the priming sugar,Im shure the flavor will fade over time, is 5 min recommended for that tea itself?

I believe so? I'll check what's recommended. I know that when you're using hot/boiling water too much time can lead to lots of tannins getting pulled out. My original thought would just be making something that's 10X normal strength and having it all neatly incorporated in the priming sugar.

I have made several batches of Green Tea Ale. I steep 6 green tea bags in a half gallon jug of cold water for 90 minutes (shaking occasionally). Then I remove the tea bags and dump the half gallon of tea into my secondary.

Good to know this method. I'll have to scale it down for the smaller batch though. Do you think it'd be a problem to do this, then boil it briefly afterwards as a way to get my priming sugar in?

Back