awefull apple wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kinstmatt

Reaction score
My fresh squeezed apple wine turned out awefull tasting so bad I don't want to bother bottling it.
How do I tell if it turned to vinegar?
Would a ph test let me know?

Yes, but it would be easier to just smell it and see if it smells like vinegar. Acetic acid has a distinct smell.

How did you sanitize/ferment?

I have made a couple of batches and have the same experience. It's not vinegar, but it is just as you said, "AWFUL". Kind of a rotten taste with a little touch of nail polish remover. Never did figure out what went wrong. Some of it has been aging for almost 2 yrs, because I thought it might get better. It' maybe not quite as AWFUL, but that's about it.

Skyforger is right, smelling is the test for vinegar. The nail polish smell is acetaldehyde, caused by too much oxygen contact. Of course you need oxygen for vinegar to form, so somewhere in the process too much air is getting in. sulphite is an anti-oxidant and helps protect against this sort of thing.

I'd bottle it in very big bottles or containers and taste a new one ever month or so. It may turn out good eventually:)

Back