1/2" stainless chiller midwest supplies ID or OD??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EuBrew

Reaction score
Does anyone have the 50 ft stainless 1/2" chiller from Midwest supplies? I need to verify ID or OD for the 1/2". I did call the store and the guy said he didn't know then someone in the background said ID which surprises me for stainless, usually it's 1/2" OD.

Can anyone verify??

I have been told that with metal tubing, the measurement is OD. Had to get a part re-welded because of that (thermowell didn't fit probe).

Doesn't seem right considering soft tubing is ID, but that's what it is.

Formable tubing, in my experience, is always measured in OD. Hard copper (and perhaps other) pipe is always measured in ID. Best way is to probably ask MW. In my experience, their answers to e-mail queries are always extremely prompt.

Yeah I called them and they said, though not very convincingly, it was 1/2 ID. I emailed them too but haven't heard back. I guess I'll call them and tell them if it's 1/2 OD consider one sold, if it's ID I can't use it in my setup.

If it was measured ID, then all the SS fittings that many of us have used would be kind of difficult to purchase correctly. I've bought several different wall thicknesses of SS tubing and the OD has always been 1/2" with different ID's.

Awesome! I thought it sounded weird when the guy said it was ID when I called yesterday. Thanks!

Back