What do you put on a hotdog?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What goes on a dog?

• Mustard

• Onions

• Relish

• Tomatoes

• Cucumber

• Sour Kraut

• Hot Peppers

• Ketchup

• Mayo

• Other (specify)

Results are only viewable after voting.

rdwj

Reaction score
Here in the Chicagoland area, we put all sorts of stuff on dogs. Ketchup is considered a sin. What goes on where you live?

I like Mustard, Onions, Relish, tomato, Cucumber, Hot Peppers and Celery Salt. Steamed buns and dogs are a must too!

Mustard, onions, relish, sport peppers and usually a dill pickle spear.

I'm not much for tomatoes and cucumbers, but I love a Chicago style dog.

I'm originally from south of Chitown, so nix on ketchup or mayo. But, what else depends on what's available. A really good dog can get by with some hot, brown mustard. Nothing wrong with chili & cheese or some crisp dill pickles.

And a soft bun. None of the dutch crunch or fake french rolls for me.

Roast green chile, cheese, onion, pickles, mustard, salsa, avacado, cucumber, tomato, pickled peppers, rolled in a fresh tortilla. That's the way we do it in Nuevo Mexico.

For myself, mustard (not that cheapo bright yellow crap) is a must. From there kraut is always good and onion. I also love to take a nice grilled hot dog, add mustard and then add leftover taco meat and crisp, chopped, raw onions ontop of that. I think that's my favorite of all.

david_42 said:
I'm originally from south of Chitown, so nix on ketchup or mayo. But, what else depends on what's available. A really good dog can get by with some hot, brown mustard. Nothing wrong with chili & cheese or some crisp dill pickles.

And a soft bun. None of the dutch crunch or fake french rolls for me.

I wanted to add chili and cheese, but I could only have 10 options :D

Which reminds me...we should go to Famous Freddy's Roudhouse sometime. You can get a chili cheese bratwurst for under $2.00.

Sonoran Dogs are popular here:
Dog is grilled over an open flame
mesquite-smoked bacon
soft bun
fresh-chopped tomatoes
onions
shredded cheese
ketchup
tomatillo salsa
mayonnaise (or mustard)
grilled chiles
sour cream.

Cheesefood said:
Which reminds me...we should go to Famous Freddy's Roudhouse sometime. You can get a chili cheese bratwurst for under $2.00.

Never tried it, but it sounds like it would be right up my alley

rdwj said:
Never tried it, but it sounds like it would be right up my alley

Standard beer selection, but you can pig out for under $5.00. Hot dogs are like $.70, with chili and cheese they're about $1.25. Shrimp are $.25 each.

Cheesefood said:
Standard beer selection, but you can pig out for under $5.00. Hot dogs are like $.70, with chili and cheese they're about $1.25. Shrimp are $.25 each.

I don't know if I'd trust a $.25 shrimp from a hot dog joint - lol

Vienna Beef, Hebrew National or a Nathan's Famous with Gulden's Spicy Brown Mustard and Kraut. Yea baby!

It depends on the dog, where I am and what I'm hungry for.
Hi, I'm Pumbaa and I'm a hotdog snob . . .

Seriously hotdogs are my most absolute favorite food ever and am very particular with what I will put on my dogs and when I will put it on

One day my goal is to travel around to the various hotdog heavens in this country and eat at least 1 dog from each

homebrewer_99 said:
Mustard only.;)

All the rest is considered a salad sandwich...:D
Just like Inspector Callahan (Dirty Harry) said, "Nobody, but nobody eats ketchup on a hotdog"..."Do ya feel lucky punk?"

For a hot dog, ketchup, mustard, relish, and sour kraut. You gotta cover it up and give it as much flavor as possible. The best hot dog is charred on the grill.

Now for a brat, the wonderful flavor link. Just a little bit of ketchup, you don't want to screw around with all that tasty pork and beef fat flavor! Or even better screw the bun, just give me a couple to eat naked (the link with nothing on it.......not me).

I'll take some kraut on the side with my brat, even better some pickled red cabbage!

usually just ketchup. sometimes I'll throw on some diced onion or some hot sauce.

And of course, only Nathan's hot dogs.

At home it's usually just ketchup/mustard/relish. Out it could be whatever strikes my fancy. Kraut, chili, cheese, you name it. I love a good dog.

I am with the pastor (from new mexico myself) green chili is where its at.

Other: Chili and cheese normally, if that is not available I can do mustard and ketchup.

Not sure on the whole "ketchup doesn't belong on a hotdog" philosophy. :confused:

By the way Gray's Papaya in NYC had some pretty good hot dogs.

Mustard, ketchup, and onions. Same for brats, or other sausages.

OR

Kraut, mustard, and onions.

My snobbery ends where the processed meat food products begin. :D

I'm not a fan of the dog unless there's nothing left to eat in the house.

When I do it's mustard or BBQ sauce. Anything to masquerade the so called meat.

Ize

Although we're only 90 miles north of Chicago, good hotdogs here don't need a whole bunch of stuff on them. A good one is fine with mustard or even, gasp!, mustard and ketchup.

If you really want to add something, a little kraut is good on it.

I used to be a ketchup fanboy, but I heard of how the chitown folks did it and haven't gone back since. Usually though that just means mustard I make and saurkraut. Occasionally I get fancy and used minced onion or some form of hot sauce. They go onto my homemade hotdogs.

Here in town we actually have a butcher. Fresh quality meats not the supermarket stuff. This place makes their own dogs and they are better than anything I have ever had. Don't know what they make them from may be better not to know.

Latest posts

Back