Help! Oxygen!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerhead

Reaction score
So today i decided to rack my bavarian hefe to the keg as it was about that time. I planned on naturally carbing and added my corn sugar as needed

However todays process went terribly, the plastic hose clamp i used did almost nothing to stop air flowing into my transferring beer and i had to start my siphon several times before I could finish the transfer.

Since i am very worried now about oxygenated beer I was wondering if it might be able to try and purge the oxygen out of the beer through possibly a force carb method or some other use of my CO2 tank. I loved the taste of the beer as it came out of secondary and it would be a shame to see this beer go bad.

While im on the subject, does anyone have any other tips on how to better connect your racking cane and siphon tube? Because although using the clamp normally works i never want to have to go through this again.

Cheers

I'd say relax. It might slightly effect the long term stability of the beer a tiny bit, but I really doubt there was enough air in there to produce oxidation.

Relax...It takes a lot of O2 to really damage your beer, I remember a podcast that said that it would really take like pumping an entire red bottle of o2 into your fermented beer to set up the conditions for oxydation, most things we normally do, and even most of the mistakes we make, are really not enough to do so, and besides, oxydation isn't an immediate issue for most of us...it appears months down the road, most of us have peed out our homebrews months before oxydation would rear it's ugly head...

You have also helped yourself here since you are planning to naturally carb. The yeast will go a long way in scavenging any oxygen in there. Plus, oxygenation takes time, you will probably drink the hefe before it would have time to show up.

You might look at getting some smaller tubing. The tubing I use is tight on the racking cane, takes a little work to get it on there, but does not need a clamp.

Back