Exterior keg cleaning tips?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cardcon

Reaction score
Hi All,
I was just wondering if you guys have any tips for cleaning the outside of a corny keg. I have a couple with some nasty glue and dried scale like stuff on them. Steel Wool and Oxy maybe?

One of the best ways to get started is to fill the keg with very hot water. This will loosen the glue and stickers enought that you can get much of it off with a scrubbing pad and some mild detergent or oxyclean. Don't use anything too hot (maybe 130 max) or it might loosen the glue holding on the rubber bottom as well. (If it does, they can be glue on pretty easily).

For more stubborn residue, any vegetable oil or pam spray will help.

You might try to find a cleaner that contains either "d-limonene" or "citrus based solvent" on the label. D-limonene does a pretty bang up job on removing adhesive

I had great luck with 'Goo Gone' to remove stickers and then 'Barkeeper's Friend' to clean up the stainless steel.

Brian

A rag soaked in paint thinner is great for removing sticky residue. Just soak the rag and leave it on the affected area for 3-5 minutes. Then just scrape off (I like using a putty knife).

I just fill the keg with hot water and oxyclean and let it oerflow over sides of keg. Then took razor blade and scraped off all stickers and residue easily. Then used 400 grit superfine sandpaper that I had laying around in garage and wet sanded outside of kegs and now they look brand new and shiny! Maybe took all of about 10 minutes per keg! Cant believe how good they look compared to the nasty stickered up kegs they once were!

I've needed to try and bring back 10 second-hand Cornis kegs covered in labels of all sorts.
First I filled them with 55ºC hot water and with the help of an aluminum scraper (this prevents scratching), was able to remove most of them. I then sprayed them with Oomph, Goo And Stain Remover letting it sit for a while, then used the aluminum scraper to remove all the glue.
All gone, now to tackle the black rubber marks.

Back