White Labs Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madrean

Reaction score
I bought some refigerated WL yeast yesterday (for making a Bass in case you were wondering...).

Anyway, it was several hours from the time i left the shop and the time i put it in the fridge, and some of that time it was prolly at around 90F or so.

Do you think it is ruined?

alemonkey said:
I'd make a starter and find out.
I agree. Make the starter a few days ahead of brew day if you can and if it doesn't take off you have time to replace it.
If I had to bet I would say that it will be OK but you want to be sure.

Yup, make a starter, and you will find out for sure. My bet is that its still okay. I read that liquid yeasts are able to survive up to 110 degrees. (Im at work so I cant show my math...lol) So your brief time unrefrigerated should be okay. Not preferred, but okay.

A cool idea (pardon the pun) if you buy yeast and do not go home right away, is to get a thermos that a tube of yeast will fit into easily, add an ice cube or two, add some water, and viola! You are set. Drop in the tube and you have plenty of time.

Just a couple hours will not ruin the yeast. A starter is always a good idea.
I once put my tube in a zip lock with ice cubes and rolled it up in a heavy towel. It survived several hours in my car in the sun and made a great fermentation.

thanks for the thread link!

i was wondering, can i use the malt extract that came with my Bass kit?

how much should i add? about a cup or so?

i'm thinking that specific amounts of water/sugar aren't really all that critical??

madrean said:
thanks for the thread link!

i was wondering, can i use the malt extract that came with my Bass kit?

how much should i add? about a cup or so?

i'm thinking that specific amounts of water/sugar aren't really all that critical??

it kind of is critical, you dont want the yeast struggling in a super-strong starter...i go by what Dr. chris white says (of white labs yeast):

1 c. dme/3 qt h20
if youve got liquid extract, you can add a little more extract(1.25 c.), or use a little less water(2.5 qt.).

you want about 1.040 for a starter.

what if all i have is LME? (liquid)?

thanks

it's like 35 miles to the LHBS.... even with a TDI it adds up...

bump

sorry to bug you guys--- i'm hoping to get the starter going tonight so i can cook on sat afternoon.

is it okay to use LME instead of dry ME?

thx a bunch:rockin:

There is a difference betweent the density of sugar between lme and dme.
.8 lbs of DME is equal to 1 lbs of LME
Not enough of a difference to worry about IMHO.

Greyhair

ok guys, thanks!

just one more question----

whatever amount of LME i use, do i have to replace it to make up for it since i'm taking it from the container that was to be used for my actual recipe?

in other words, if i take 1 cup out to make the starter, is it okay if i use the remainer for my recipe or do i need to replace what i took out for the starter?

madrean said:
ok guys, thanks!

just one more question----

whatever amount of LME i use, do i have to replace it to make up for it since i'm taking it from the container that was to be used for my actual recipe?

in other words, if i take 1 cup out to make the starter, is it okay if i use the remainer for my recipe or do i need to replace what i took out for the starter?

you could. its not critical but, i would. In the future just buy a 1 lbs. or 3 lbs. bag of extra light dry extract just to use just for starters...

Back