First Brew Choice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great choice, assuming you like it. Pale Ale, Mild, Brown Ale are all good too. I'd stay away from lagering at first, or really big beers, or lambic.

If you like American Ambers, then it's a good choice. English Brown ales tend to be good for first time brewers, too. It's really about what you like and what you want to make. As McGarnigle said, the only things to stay away from are lagers, and "big" beers or anything with a ton of ingredients to complicate matters. A simple recipe of any type of ale would work good.

One nice thing about most American styles is that they tend to have a lot of yeast character, so it's not a huge deal if your fermentation temp controls aren't perfect. Wheat beers are another good choice for that reason, and because they're best young. Trust me, you'll have a hard time letting that first batch age!

:ban:

It seems like the boards tradition is Ed's House ale or Brewmunchers Blonde. Both are great for a learning experience.

Sounds good to me!! It's whats in my carboy at the moment.

My plan (today) is to make a small variety of styles but concentrate on what "I" like and make the best I can.

I'm a Nut Brown Ale sort of guy but love most darker beers - not a Hop Head so my Hop Head friends will have to go elsewhere.

Latest posts

Back