Oh No! Busted IC mid brew day!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopheadNJ

Reaction score
So I'm just finishing up my mash and while cleaning my immersion chiller I notice a kink with a small slit!

Should I try my first BIAB No Chill? Boil for 90 minutes, spray the lid with starsan, toss it on for last few minutes of boil, starsan the outside and put her in the garage until tomorrow, than pitch?

Or am I really risking infection here? Attempt to chill in the bathtub with ice bottles? Wouldn't be a brew day without some sort of issue...

Give it a go, oh and after you repair you immersion chiller you may want to hang it upside down after use. It sound like it had water in it, froze and split. Good luck.

exactly what it looks like, I do hang it upside down but there must have been just enough left in the kinked section. If nothing else, it gives the starter I made last night some time to get rippin'

I hang my chiller and blow a bit of air threw it to clear any trapped water. It gets cold here in Ohio.

20 lb bag of ice at the store is 5 bucks, cold water, rock salt and ice, you will be chilled faster than you were with the chiller.

20 lb bag of ice at the store is 5 bucks, cold water, rock salt and ice, you will be chilled faster than you were with the chiller.

I think I'm gonna take the time to chill in the bathtub with ice as I have a lot of late hop additions and not sure how the no chill would affect this.

bad67z said:
Give it a go, oh and after you repair you immersion chiller you may want to hang it upside down after use. It sound like it had water in it, froze and split. Good luck.

I was trying to imagine how one might break an immersion chiller, and completely forgot about this thing you call "winter"...

I no chill all my beers. It is fine overnight. I would boil the regular recipe time and leave the lid off for 15 min post boil because it is so hot (I do it inside tho so YMMV). In my house after 15-20 min w lid off it gets to about 180-190 so I cap it then.

Also, I would delay all aroma/flavor hops by 20 min.
So for example if you have 0 min hops, after boil time is over, kill the heat, set a timer for 20 min and then when timer goes off add the hops and put sanitized lid on. I also sometimes saran wrap the edge all around the pot lid.

Why don't you just flux where it's split and solder? Should be a 5 min job.

Don't have all the essentials...Didn't want to deal with going to the hardware store or anywhere for that matter during mid boil.

All is good, chilled pretty quickly with ~20lb ice in the bathtub. My efficiency with BIAB has been all over the place. The last two batches I was ~65%, this recipe was designed to be an APA but after checking preboil gravity I adjusted my hop schedule more towards an IPA.

Looks like a starting gravity of 1.069, much bigger than expected, but my volume was spot on. 82% brewhouse efficiency according to Beersmith.

Back