Ceramic bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A number of beers come in the Ceramic bottles such as Rogue. I am wondering if anyone has found a source for these bottles? They are usually only found for premium beers that are $10+ a piece. I have purchased a number and used as gifts, but I am now running out. I located a company in china that sells bottle that look like these on their website, but communication was not fruitful.

I am considering importing them from this company or contacting some old friends in Taiwan to see if they want to put something together, but not worth it if I am the only one interested or if there is another source I am just missing.

I'd love to find a source of these too. They would be perfect for the rice wine I started last weekend.

What sort of cost would you consider? Obviously everyone is interested at $1.

What about $5+ shipping from continental US? Probably minimum order of 12.
Would it matter what size?

Since I use them as gifts primarily the $5+brewing cost is still pretty cheap for me.

For me, it would depend on the size of the bottles. For something the size of a wine, or large beer, bottle I'd be willing to pay about $4 a bottle + shipping in the continental US. Minimum of an order of 12 would be fine too. If we are talking about 12oz bottles, then I'd be willing to go about $2.5/bottle, same minimum order and shipping would be fine.

Yeah, I know I'm a cheapskate....

For $5 per bottle, plus shipping, they better be some damned sexy bottles and be able to withstand at least the same CO2 volumes as the swing-top bottles. I'd go up to $50 per case of 12, delivered, (they'll need to be 500ml or better in size) for them. Otherwise, I'll just keep using the 500ml [glass] swing top bottles and not worry about it.

As much as they would be nice to have, paying more is just not in the cards. Also, the $50 per case of 12 would have to be really great looking bottles. Ones that can handle repeated use without failing/breaking, just as the swing-top bottles do.

I'd also be interested in some that you could/would cork. Perhaps more along the lines of Belgian style, so you can cork and cage them. I'd be looking to use them for meads, so I don't care (so much) if they can handle carbonation levels. I also think they would be really nice for some really BIG beers. Such as something over 10% ABV that won't have a lot of carbonation anyway. Although there has to be a place bringing them into the US since some breweries are selling beers in them. :cross: :D

I can't believe we are the only 3 who want these. I mean, they would be perfect for long term aging. Absolutely no chance of damage from light.

Well, for most people, light isn't an issue. They either store the bottles in the boxes, or someplace dark. Since I've been kegging, light hasn't been an issue. I also have bottles in the basement, where very little light is coming even close to the bottles. I would like to use these for things that will be getting aged for an extended period, but only if the cost is good. Especially since I can get glass bottles at a good rate.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kollig/2166745008/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kollig/2165950291/in/photostream/
That is the bottle I found the maker for, or at least one very similar. Without paint of course. I believe the bottles are 24 ounces(not the normal St. Sebastian bottles).

Someone is doing me a favor next week. The favor is going to save me somewhere around $30. If I give them a 24 oz glass bottle glass bottle of mead it looks like a POS I found in the corner of my garage that probably should have been thrown away. I put it in a bottle like this, and it looks like something they should keep displayed in their office/man cave. Lightly carbonated mead seems to be very popular with both sexes.

If I go the "Taiwan connection" route, it would likely be produced by students at the school I attended at as an exchange student. White porcelain. Probably limited on quantity that way. Limited a little on size as I would want it to stay as a single piece.

They do store well, but draping a blanket over the box is much cheaper for long term storage.

With this little interest I don't think it is worth bothering. Probably just work on a few on my own.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kollig/2166745008/
That is the bottle I found the maker for, or at least one very similar. Without paint of course. I believe the bottles are 24 ounces.

Someone is doing me a favor next week. The favor is going to save me somewhere around $30. If I give them a 24 oz glass bottle glass bottle of mead it looks like a POS I found in the corner of my garage that probably should have been thrown away. I put it in a bottle like this, and it looks like something they should keep displayed in their office/man cave.

Find out how much to get the bottles like that... Once I'm working again I'll have more funds to get things like that with. Right now I really don't need any more bottles like that. I would like some that had corking options though. Even if they're Belgian style bottles, in ceramic. I got a new corker on Thursday, so I can easily insert the corks (champagne corker, so no issues now).

As for the favor thing... I had a friend come over (a plumber) to help me with my new washing wand (for sanke kegs mostly) the other weekend. Took him all of a minute to get the one fitting on I couldn't get to seal (he also used a slightly different fitting, that was far easier). Saved me headaches more than anything else. Of course, I treated him to a pint for his troubles. :D

I really like the Ceramic Bottles 3 and 4 on that page. Number 5 is ok, but I'd rather have either of the other two. Actually, I think the black ones would be much better. :D

Now, how do we go about ordering them, or convince a store to get a pallet of them in for us?? :D
That's a good question. Now, if there are no more questions...

I was actually liking 1, but 3 would suit me very well also. :)

That's a good question. Now, if there are no more questions...

I was actually liking 1, but 3 would suit me very well also. :)

Depending on cost, I'd be good for a case or five of number three. :D I'd be looking to use them with my meads, so longer term storage is more important. Which is why I would rather have the cork option. Plus, I have a new corker that I'm itching to use. :D

[email protected]

If you have the space and willingness to resell that's the guy to email. I have the willingness to resell but I don't have the space.

Other than that you can just ask major homebrew stores to do it. I doubt any will bite though. I suspect that the Vinny bottles were picked up by Brewer Supply Group or LD Carlson and that's the only reason homebrew retailers are carrying them. I bet very few homebrew stores order directly from any vendors.

I like the looks of #2 better, but the capacity is only 500ml.

#3 is still my choice. If that's not available, I'm not buying. :p Since it's a 750ml bottle, you only get 77 cases per pallet. So less cases to sell to clear them. Now, IF they'll mix up pallet loads so that we can get two (or three) different versions, that could be good. I might give a case of the #1 a shot, if it came down to that. But I'd still rather get a couple (or more) cases of the #3 bottles. :D

No mix and match. That was my first question.
I could settle on Number one with the 750 ML capacity. I want something that uses EZ-top and/or a normal cap.

No mix and match. That was my first question.
I could settle on Number one with the 750 ML capacity. I want something that uses EZ-top and/or a normal cap.

Guess I'll have to see about getting them elsewhere then. I'm looking to use them for mead and such. So they need to hold up for several years. I don't think the gaskets will do that.

I believe that is the same supplier I ran into before and have been unable to reach. My guess is they are the actual manufacturer and the goup out of Canada is purchasing from them. I can speak a little Chinese, but do not read or write. It seems they have no one who speaks English. I have resources that do though. I may just have to spend another bottle of mead...

United Bottles does not make bottles, they are just a broker. Well that is to the best of my knowledge. They have their emblem on the new "vinnie" bottles but that just means that was part of the design mold. I don't know what bottle plant actually makes the Vinnie bottles. I do recall them saying that they are made on the continent of North America. My guess is St. Gobain is the real manufacturer but they have like 10 plant locations in the US.

How long is a while? I have a Brett old ale in old grolsch fliptops and its been over 2years now. Still perfectly carbed. Now these do have a quality ceramic top not plastic like modern fliptops. Either way you can still cap, but I do get your desire for the corked bottles.

How long is a while? I have a Brett old ale in old grolsch fliptops and its been over 2years now. Still perfectly carbed. Now these do have a quality ceramic top not plastic like modern fliptops. Either way you can still cap, but I do get your desire for the corked bottles.

I could be looking at 10+ years in bottle. Most likely these would be used for bigger batches of mead (over 18%) that will really benefit from even more time aging. I have a couple of batches that are either already started or planned to be started in the next few weeks that will be opened when the country is back on track. So, that could be many years from now. :eek: :D

I could be looking at 10+ years in bottle. Most likely these would be used for bigger batches of mead (over 18%) that will really benefit from even more time aging. I have a couple of batches that are either already started or planned to be started in the next few weeks that will be opened when the country is back on track. So, that could be many years from now. :eek: :D
This belongs on the, "You know your a homebrewer when", thread. I thought having home remodeling plans going out 7 years was excessive....

Agreed currently drinking my last bottle of clover honey mead I made in Wisconsin a couple of years before moving to Florida. It's over 20 and sips like a fine cognac. Mead and aging go hand in hand. I prefer the cork, tipped to keep it wet and waxed for long term. Go to Golddie :D

I know of people in a ceramics lab that I attend who make tall skinny ceramic bottles with a grolsch style cap on them. They turn out really cool!

This belongs on the, "You know your a homebrewer when", thread. I thought having home remodeling plans going out 7 years was excessive....
Well, depending on the actual remodel extent, 7 years could be fast. :eek: Of course, that long of a span is usually either dictated by budget limits, SWMBO parameters, or the plan is just too epic to be done quickly. :D

Agreed currently drinking my last bottle of clover honey mead I made in Wisconsin a couple of years before moving to Florida. It's over 20 and sips like a fine cognac. Mead and aging go hand in hand. I prefer the cork, tipped to keep it wet and waxed for long term. Go to Golddie :D

I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that I can get my epic mead to target. I want it to be north of 24% ABV. :rockin: :ban: :drunk: :tank:

Did anyone end up ordering any of bottles? I'd be interested in some if the shipping to me or to a friend across the border wasn't outrageous.

I also would like to know if anyone purchased the bottles. Does anyone know what the cost was from the Canadian place? Also I have room to re-sell but I am only ingested in the 750 ml black bottles and since they won't mix and match...

Bottles were less than $1.84 a bottle with a purchase of 1056 bottles(one pallet CM002).
Shipping to me was $550, which added another $.50 a bottle. Shiiping another pallet was only and additional $100 though.
By the time I figured shipping from me to other people in small lots I figured I would be over the price people seemed interested in. I may look at the project down the road when I have more money and I wouldn't have to worry about selling them. I simply can't tie up $2500 in bottles hoping to sell them over the next 3-4 years at cost.

Hi everyone!
Im a factory manager in a hungarian ceramic factory. And i want to start a product line for ceramic bottles. But first i need to know what are the expectations (material, color, with glaze or without, price). I make deals right now with some hungarian breweries, to make unique series. contact: [email protected]

Back