Beer Drinking Culture

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JEM Australia

Reaction score
Here is a thread about different pub culture.

Unfortunately some of these traditions are dying out, but in some small country towns, you still see them.

In some states in Australia if you place your empty glass right way up on the bar, you'll get a re-fill, when you are finished drinking you lay your glass on its side on the bar and the bar person knows not to re-fill it for you.

However if you put your glass upside down on the bar, you are signifying that you up for a fight and will take on anyone.

I can wait here all night.
iTANKARD5a.jpg

Hey that's a riot! Especially the upside-down mug. Never heard of that before.

At the pub I worked at for a while, you'd put a coaster on top of your pint glass if you were leaving the bar for a few minutes but would be back.

We didn't have anything to signify you were ready for a good brawl, though ;)

Janx

In Germany:

Glass: When you're empty the server just asks if you want another, not before.

Ceramic Mug (without a pewter lip/top): Lay it over on its side for a refill.

Ceramic Mug (with a pewter lip/top): Closed means you're OK. Open means a refill. If you look like you don't know what you're doing and leave it open they will check and correct your "gasthaus etiquette".

Other than that they can read the "glasses" from across the room and don't bother you like American servers do.

In Germany you also get a new glass not just a refilled old glass. The glasses have markings on the side (near the top) that indicate how much beer is supposed to be in the glass - it's a law. If you get one that is below the line you can send it back to be filled. If you've been in the gasthaus most of the night and/or are a regular and are close to leaving but don't want a full beer then you can ask for a "schnitt" (which means to cut or slice) which is a half beer or a fast pour. Sometimes they won't even charge you for it. :D

You also don't get/order another unless the other one is empty first.

That line on the glass law is a good idea. I see pint glasses in the states that have the line, but so few beertenders know how to pour a proper beer. 3 inches of head...no head at all...underfills. Pretty sloppy.

As far as always getting a new glass, I always tell the bartender I don't want a new glass (so as not to be a pain and because what do I care, especially if it's the same kind of beer), but they always get me a new one at pubs in California.

I think most bars here give you a new glass with your beer. Havent really seen any beer traditions around here. Usually the sign for wanting a fight is putting someone in a headlock or swinging a pool stick at them.....but i stay away from that, just watch for entertainment.

Tophe96 said:
I think most bars here give you a new glass with your beer. Havent really seen any beer traditions around here. Usually the sign for wanting a fight is putting someone in a headlock or swinging a pool stick at them.....but i stay away from that, just watch for entertainment.

...uh, after how many brews are you able to read these alleged signs? :D

homebrewer_99 said:
In Germany:

Ceramic Mug (without a pewter lip/top): Lay it over on its side for a refill.

Ceramic Mug (with a pewter lip/top): Closed means you're OK. Open means a refill. If you look like you don't know what you're doing and leave it open they will check and correct your "gasthaus etiquette".

Other than that they can read the "glasses" from across the room and don't bother you like American servers do.

The glasses have markings on the side (near the top) that indicate how much beer is supposed to be in the glass - it's a law. If you get one that is below the line you can send it back to be filled.

Oh, that's good. Those clever Germans. Some friends once tried laying our glasses on the side because the bartender was not very interested in us and way too interested in the hottie at the end of the bar. He noticed that the glasses were empty becasue they were on their side, but generally just got annoyed about it.

I can't tell you how many times I tried to get a bartender to fill my mug or pitcher all the way, instead of leaving it half head because they don't know how to pull a draft. A full 100% of the time, they've just looked at me like I just landed from Mars, instead of "Geez, I guess I did give you too much foam. I'll top it off for you right away, Sir!"

Wow...I totally missed this thread until now.....cool info about Germany that I didn't know....

The only thing I'll add is when I was in Germany the servers wouldn't give you the time of day if you didn't order it in Duetsch. Ein bier bitte!!! Make sure you hold up your thumb only, because if you hold up your index finger (like we'd do in the states) as in one (1), you're getting two beers. Thumbs up over there means one I guess.

Back