This is odd, STRONG chlorine smell when cleaning bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AugustDerleth

Reaction score
Okay so I just bought a polyethylene bucket that has the same number 2 as my food grade buckets and I'm fairly certain that this bucket is food-grade. I poured, actually quite a bit, of iodine into the bucket and filled it with the hose. There was a STRONG STRONG smell of chlorine, bordering on vinegar but the water alone has no stench. I went inside to let it sit for 2 minutes and sani, and the smell is still in my nose. What the hell just happened?! Is this just what iodine smells like in very strong concentrations? Or is there something else going on?

Did you clean the bucket out before the iodine was added? Any chance bleach had previously been in the bucket - i.e. was it used before?

Did you clean the bucket out before the iodine was added? Any chance bleach had previously been in the bucket - i.e. was it used before?

I sprayed it with a very narrow-streamed nozzle on a garden hose, so it sprayed the inside out very hard and no it was brand new! I actually opened another bottle of Iodophor and it smelled similar but not as bad. I'm concerned at this point. :(

Any chance you got the PH dipsticks with the iodophor? Might tell you if you have the right quantities and the iodophor is doing what it's supposed to be.

I know from other research I've done that over concentrations of iodophor can impart some off flavors or unnatural sensations on the palate. I guess you'll have to let us know how it all turns out...but good luck with the brew and keep us posted, I'm very interested in your results.

I know from other research I've done that over concentrations of iodophor can impart some off flavors or unnatural sensations on the palate. I guess you'll have to let us know how it all turns out...but good luck with the brew and keep us posted, I'm very interested in your results.

I will update! One thing already, after I added the raspberries I could see this odd film on the top of the bucket in certain areas. I chalked this up to very minute amounts of vodka still clinging to the raspberries, but it may very well have been excess iodophor! grrrrr. I'll update upon racking (and sampling) and let you know how it's coming along. Thanks!

Back