Let's play... name this infection!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HiGravShawn

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My 20th batch apparently has an infection. From what I can tell it looks like Brett. It looks like waxy film with some bubbles and smells like sour + strong alcohol. I'm super careful with sanitation so it's really bumming me. I used two dry packs of Safale-05 and I've heard tale of contaminated yeast before, but who knows when my batch got contaminated. It seems like I keep having issues using this Brewcube thing I got for 10 gallons batches. Never had an infection before (that I know of), but had temp problems and ester problems. Can anyone provide feedback as to this seems like brett?

Pic1

Pic2

I tried to draw samples from below the surface, but matter and cloudiness was in each sample I took.

:( Dumping my first batch tomorrow and its 10 gallons of my favorite brown ale.

looks to me like its just yeast that hasnt fallen. How long has it been in primary? give it a few more weeks and i bet it will be just fine. Yeast has a strange odor during fermentation and by leaving it in the primary a few more weeks you can definatly clean up some of the off flavors.

It's been in primary for 24 days and it REEKS. I mean it will burn the back of your sinus' and smells very sour. It looks nothing like any yeast or krausen I've ever had.

Or Jimbo. I'm a real fan of Jimbo.

I've never seen one in real life, but that doesn't really look like Brett that I've seen in photos. Definitely don't dump it though, unless you can't bear to even taste it. You may have created the most beautiful new beer style known to man.

Siphon some of it in to a bottle, cap it and send it to me. I'll taste it... ...sissy... ;)

i had something like that once, brewed 10 gallons, put in 2 5 gallon fermenter's and used 2 pack's of 05 that i bought at the same time. i batch was great, the other never dropped the krausen and looked like that. only beer i ever got rid of.

I haven't dumped it yet. It's like kicking your kid out. You know you should kick the bum out, but it's so hard. I should have taken a pic of the sample I took in the thief. I guarantee you would think long and hard about putting it in your mouth. It looked like beer mixed with sour milk.

It does NOT look like this

When I tried to make a hole to stick the thief in it bubbled kind of like this

I am a biology buff and the wife is a Biology teacher and it's not mold and doesn't look like a normal growth colony. It's def a pellicle as thorongil said. The only thing that makes me wonder about brett is that is doesn't really smell like acetic acid. I'm thinking now maybe pedio.

This looks exactly like it. And this looks like the sample and it's a pedio contaminated beer supposedly.

Back