Adding Sugar Later... Ok to Boil Now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jalgayer

Reaction score
Hey

I have a tripel going. I am adding 2# of clear candi sugar after fermentation winds down.

I just boiled it in some water and let it cool down and I am going to throw it in the fridge until I add it - maybe 4-5 days or so.

Any problems with this?

Not at all......Just brewed a Quad IPA that rounded out just shy of 19% ABV. We made 3 additions post boil. After fermentation went for 5 days, we boiled and added 3lbs DME, and again 3 days later with DME and Sugar, and again 3 days later with more sugar. Each time adding a champagne yeast followed by a high gravity yeast. However you should have no problem adding sugar to it. Don't want to boil it long though, just enough to purify the water and disolve the sugar. Good luck!

i dont have experience in this, but i would question throwing it in the fridge to sit for 5 days before adding it to the fermenting beer. seems like an open invitation to pick up nasties during those 5 days

boil as needed, cover, and cool in fridge. Shouldn't take but an hour to cool. Keep it covered tight to reduce contamination.

Back