Dusseldorf Sticke Alt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sonvolt

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Safale US-56
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Additional Fermentation
Dusseldorf Sticke Altbier

Grain Bill:
8 lbs. Pilsen Malt
2 lbs. Light Munich Malt
.50 lbs. Vienna Malt
1 oz. Chocolate Malt
2 oz. Carafa Malt
.50 lbs CaraVienne Malt

Hops:

1.0 oz. Spalt (60)
.50 oz. Tettnang (60
.50 oz. Spalt (30)
.50 oz. Tettnang (30)
.50 oz. Spalt (15)
.25 oz. Tettnang (15)

Yeast:
Safale 1056 – Cali Ale

OG – 1.054
FG – 1.008

Baron von BeeGee said:
Looks good! Just curious, what's the idea behind chocolate + carafa, as opposed to just one or the other...

I liked the idea of getting the color that I desired from 3 oz. of the darker grain. I did want a bit of astringent bitterness/chocomalt flavors. In short, I wasn't completely sure that the carafa was going to be flavorful enough.

I may try it with only the Carafa sometime, but this beer is so good that I brew it a lot. I am afraid of messing with a good thing :p

I'm hesitant to screw with success. I hear you on the carafa. I used 4oz of carafa II in my Doppelbock and while it certainly darkened it up, I really didn't get the roastiness I was expecting (shooting for a Celebrator-esque flavor profile). I'm going to go with 6oz-8oz of carafa I next time.

Can you comment on how close this is to Uerige Sticke Alt if you've had that before? Because I love that beer and should try to make it sometime!

old bump, but how did this turn out? im wondering about the safale 56 (S-05 now), i also plan on using it, would you use it again? i kind of had an english strong ale at first but turned it into this which might end up like some kind of doppelsticke? my recipe is

6kg (13.2lb) vienna
1kg (2.2lb) munich
1/2lb crystal 135
2oz roasted barley

expected OG - 1.079

likely will make a mild ale before to make a big bunch of S-05 slurry for this recipe

1oz magnum at 60
0.5 oz spalt at 30
0.25oz spalt at 15
0.25oz spalt at 5

.. pointless bump maybe.. but yeah i just noticed i posted in this thread. i ended up going with

43% munich, 55% pilsner and 2% chocolate with 2oz of spalt and safales 1056 equivalent and a much lower og of 1.049

just secondaried it after 2 weeks, got a yeast filled sample and it smells and tastes poopy atm but it should clean up in time

Back