A Mistake -- but what to call it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

texasgeorge

Reaction score
I was inspired by a thread last week to come up with a "House" ale. So I did! It was an American-style Pale Ale, looked a little something like this:

Somewhere in the neighborhood of OG:1.053, 44 IBU's, and 5.5 SRM.

7.0# 2-row Pale
2.0# Vienna
1.0# Carapils
0.5# Biscuit
0.5# Torrefied Wheat

0.5oz N. Brewer pellet (11.2%) 60m
0.5oz Cascade pellet (7.5%) 15m
0.5oz EK Golding pellet (6.9%) 15m
1.0oz Cascade pellet (7.5%) 5m
1.0oz EK Golding pellet (6.9%) 5m
0.5oz Cascade pellet (7.5%) 0m
0.5oz EK Golding pellet (6.9%) 0m
1.0oz Cascade whole Dry
1.0oz EK Golding whole Dry

WLP001 CA Ale

Well, when I received my grains, I discovered that I told the clerk VICTORY instead of VIENNA. TWO POUNDS!! So what do we have, boys and girls? Nut Pale Ale? And is it going to convert itself?

I think you will be fine except that it will not be exactly what you are looking for. You will end up with a very nutty tasting pale ale. I would mash lower at 150 and maybe up the ibu's. I brewed a pale ale with similar hops and did not like the combo of EKG and cascade because the cascade seemed to dominate. I love EKG but the american citrus hops just over power the flavor of ekg.

It could be a good experiment. Brew this one and then brew one with the exact same grain bill and just add cascade and then do another one with just ekg. It will give a great example of what each hop can do. Just my .02 cents.

I do want the citrusy American hops to stand out.... American Pale, after all ;)

BUT... I love the aroma of the EKGs too... I ended up buying 2 oz of whole EKGs... maybe I could cut out the dry Cascades and just dry hop with 2 oz of EKG's. Yeah, that sounds like it might work.

Must be some nutty hopped-up brown american you can name this after.

One part Cascades and 2 parts EKG makes a nice combo for dry hopping.

Names?

Mork's Nanoo Nutty ElixR.
Yosemite Sam's Nutty Ale
Tommy Boy's "Brother's Gotta Hug!" Brown Ale.
Gibson's Mess
Ace Ventura Ale

- WW

Or....

"If I was going to brew a beer..." OJ Simpson Brown Ale.

There seems to be more than one twist to this one.

- WW

david_42 said:
One part Cascades and 2 parts EKG makes a nice combo for dry hopping.

I'm doing this just because you said so. Thanks for the tip! :ban:

Latest posts

Back