How active is it supposed to be?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLem

Reaction score
I'm concerned. I know I'm not supposed to be, but I am. I'm attempting my first cider and I'm not sure it is going well. A week ago, I put 3 gallons of "all natural" cider into my 5 gallon glass carboy, added 3 tsp yeast nutrients and a vial of ale yeast. I had expected to see some activity when I woke up in the morning, but had none. Then I went away for 3 days. When I came back, I had some activity, but nothing too furious. Right now, I'm timing one bubble in the airlock every 20 seconds. Does this sound OK? Did I miss the really active fermentation? I thought cider was really active over a long time. Maybe I just need to understand what "active" means. :confused:

That sounds right. It doesn't ferment like beer and only occasionally makes a krausen. It just kind of sits there and does its thing quietly.

What are your Hydrometer reading saying? If its dropping its fermenting.

I haven't taken any (other than the OG - 1.050). I haven't figured out how to get a sample out of the carboy yet (my turkey baster has gone AWOL)!

Cider can have a very furious fermentation, and sometimes it has a very calm and quiet one. Depends on the yeast, the juice, any additives, etc. Also, if it is a strong fermentation, it isn't going to last terribly long. If its going strong, the sugars in there are so basic, that the yeast will eat the bulk of them up pretty quick.

My first batch is burping one bubble every 3 seconds. Oh, and that's with a potassium sorbate treated cider (oops!) I'm using montrachet yeast.

My first batch is burping one bubble every 3 seconds. Oh, and that's with a potassium sorbate treated cider (oops!) I'm using montrachet yeast.

How far along are you? Mine's 7 days old and down to a bubble only every 35 seconds. I guess as long as it's bubbling, it's doing something, right?

I'm actually just one day in. It took about 24 hours to get cranked up, but it's hopping now. I guess it will slow sooner or later, but this is all uncharted territory for me. Sounds to me like you're OK, but maybe someone else would know better.

Back