1 week taste test

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kronin

Reaction score
Heya,
I bottled my first brew in a long time a week ago, I have another in secondary already ( https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/my-lager-102016/ )
and started an Irish Stout a few days ago...

I opened my first bottle at 6 days, nice hiss but not carbonated yet... exactly what i expected to be honest, lots of CO2 but not in the beer yet :)

taste green but no off flavours, I can tell this is going to be a great tasting brew! :ban:

Thanks, I am planning to have one or two each week, and see how it improves... :)

Yeah the botles are stacked in cases, in my brewing room which is held steady at about 72.

Just finished another, at day 10... still green but much better! nice pop/hiss upon opening and some carbonation retention in the beer too! I'm happy this is going so well... it's like magic! Beer Magic! :mug:

The sweet spot for carbonation is right at 21 days...assuming you're holding those beers at 70 degrees. Cooler and it can take longer.

I was started to get worried about my brew. I bottled it about three weeks ago and as of last week it still seems flat. But since they are sitting in my basement at 66-68 degrees I'm hoping that its just taking a little longer than I expected.

I was started to get worried about my brew. I bottled it about three weeks ago and as of last week it still seems flat. But since they are sitting in my basement at 66-68 degrees I'm hoping that its just taking a little longer than I expected.

I just bottled my first batch on sunday. Its the brewers best american nut brown ale extract kit. My fridge is holding at 68 so we'll see how long it takes. I probably won't sample till the second or third week.

3 and a half weeks now and had a couple (last night and today) and it is improving in carbonation a lot with lots of little bubble trails running up inside the glass..., but nothing really noticable in flavour. still very sour apple green... hmmmm.

also, these are very clear.. but they seem to get a little bit hazy when i chill them... anyone know why this is?

also, these are very clear.. but they seem to get a little bit hazy when i chill them... anyone know why this is?

That's called "chill haze". It is proteins that are in solution in the beer that come out when the beer is chilled down.

What method did you use to cool your wort before you put it into the fermenter? If you cool it fast enough you'll get a good cold break, which will cause a lot of that stuff to drop out of the wort.

thanks Hopaholic,

no wort cooling to speak of... i just used a kit with a large tin of the wort... just pour it into some hot hot water to mix, then add cold up to 23 litres... pitch and done,

Gotcha. If you want to reduce this quite a bit, place your brew kettle in your sink, put ice and water around the kettle, and stir it. It might not be enough to get a strong cold break, but it will help. Some people also use ice as part of the top-off water, but I have seen mixed opinions on whether this is a good idea or not.

Chill haze is mostly a cosmetic problem, but from what I have read the proteins in the beer can possibly make it go bad sooner. Oh well... just gotta drink it faster!! :mug:

No, his is a no boil kit. You can do stuff to minimize chill haze in a no boil but it is not worth the effort. Time is the best cure for it.

Once you start boiling there are a few things you can do to clarify your beer.

Like hopalic says though, it is strictly cosmetic and no big deal.

4.5 weeks now and still strong green apple smell and taste (well there was a couple that were really good buy many are sour)
the ones that are sour (most of them) are really really sour. One was so bad I just dumped it as I could not stomach it. so Odd!

I am asuming this is the aldehide stuff but I am not sure if it will get better?
will the yeasties in the bottles take care of this? if so, how long?

Back