American Porter Bee Cave Brewery Robust Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdWort

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Nottingham Dry
Yeast Starter
Nope
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
36 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
10 days at 68 degrees then keg
This will make 5.5 gallons of Porter. Preboil is 7 gallons.

11# 2 Row
1# Chocolate Malt
1# Crystal 40
4 oz. Black Patent
1 oz. Roasted Barley
8 oz. Flaked Barley

Mash at 150 degrees for 60 minutes

Add 8 oz. of Malto Dextrin to boil at 20 minutes

Hops.

1 oz. Northern Brewer at 60 min.
0.5 oz Cascade at 60 min.

Hydrate a package of Nottingham.

This ferments vigorously, so use a blow off or be prepared to wipe up some beer. :)

Ferment for 2 weeks, then rack to keg or secondary.

BCBPorter.jpg

EdWort said:
11# 2 Row
1# Chocolate Malt
1# Crystal 40
4 oz. Black Patent
1 oz. Black Roasted Barley

Mash at 150 degrees for 60 minutes

Add 8 oz. of Malto Dextrin to boil at 20 minutes

Hops.

1 oz. Northern Brewer
0.5 oz Cascade

Hydrate a package of Nottingham.
Hi Ed,

Just wondering why the 1 oz black roasted barley? I thought barley was for the stouts? Thanks!

Jason

Jayfro21 said:
Hi Ed,

Just wondering why the 1 oz black roasted barley? I thought barley was for the stouts? Thanks!

Jason

The one ounce will add just a touch of some coffee flavor to the porter which will go nicely with it. This is a big beer, lots of body & kinda chewy yet tasty. Something you can nurse for a while and enjoy the full flavors of it.

Kegged 10 gallons of this Porter this weekend. Very tasty. Finished out at 1.017 with an OG of 1.065 for 6.4% abv. Two cornies on gas in the Keezer.

I'm very happy with this recipe.

BierMuncher said:
Looking forward to a taste...

It's on the list for the next HBT O'Fallon homebrew-meet. I'm actually sending it in for the Sam Adams Longshot contest.

Ed gave me and a buddy a taste of this yesterday. Very nice! If you're looking for a good porter recipe, don't hesitate to give this a try.

Lil' Sparky said:
Ed gave me and a buddy a taste of this yesterday. Very nice! If you're looking for a good porter recipe, don't hesitate to give this a try.

Thanks Clint! I'm very happy with how it turned out.

It was nice meeting you yesterday. I'll bring some more and some other brews over when you have the Guys Brew Day. I'm very interested in seeing a single tier system with pump in action.

Ground breaking on the Brew Haus is April 25th! I hope to have it under roof by Sunday evening.

Newb all grain question, but when I enter the ingredients in promash, I get an SG of 1.072 with an efficiency of 70%, am I missing something?

just looking at that recipe reminds me of my old recipe for the porter I useto use a lot of black patent in my porter but I thought it made it to harsh. Did you have any harsh flavors?? whats the malto dextrin for in this recipe?? I still use N.brewer and cascade I love that combo in a porter. good choice
JJ

Jaybird said:
just looking at that recipe reminds me of my old recipe for the porter I useto use a lot of black patent in my porter but I thought it made it to harsh. Did you have any harsh flavors?? whats the malto dextrin for in this recipe?? I still use N.brewer and cascade I love that combo in a porter. good choice
JJ

The malto dextrin adds a little chewiness to it.

Would Hallertau or Perle work as a good sub for the Northern Brewer? My LBS is out of Northern. I have the Hallertau and Perle on hand. If not those...what would make the best sub for Northern in a porter? Ed I am enjoyig a nice bottle of your Haus Pale as I type.........good stuff.

hi is it ok if i don't use the Malto Dextrin and the black patent instead of 1 oz of roasted i use 2 oz to make up for not using the black patent would this work cause i can't get my hands on those to ingredients.
thanks.

nikko said:
hi is it ok if i don't use the Malto Dextrin and the black patent instead of 1 oz of roasted i use 2 oz to make up for not using the black patent would this work cause i can't get my hands on those to ingredients.
thanks.

Sure, but it will be a different beer though. It will have less body and more coffee flavor to it.

How does this beer compare to a Sierra Nevada porter? I had a SN porter last night and I think it's my new favorite porter. I prefer the chocolate flavor over the coffee flavor. With only 1 oz of roasted barely and 1lb of chocolate, I have a feeling it might be close.

drunkatuw said:
How does this beer compare to a Sierra Nevada porter? I had a SN porter last night and I think it's my new favorite porter. I prefer the chocolate flavor over the coffee flavor. With only 1 oz of roasted barely and 1lb of chocolate, I have a feeling it might be close.

Good question. I'll have to buy one and let you know.

What's your thoughts on adding some vanilla bean to this? I'm looking for a heavy porter recipe but would like to make a vanilla porter in its place.

What's your thoughts on adding some vanilla bean to this? I'm looking for a heavy porter recipe but would like to make a vanilla porter in its place.

Give it a try.

After primary, slit open 2 vanilla beans. Scrape the insides, chop the pods into quarters, add to secondary fermenter, rack beer onto vanilla. Taste periodically for the correct balance.

Alternatively, you might add pure (real) vanilla extract to the bottling bucket as well.

Hey Ed i am becoming a fan of your beers and i was wondering how long i could leave this into a secondary? also when would i bottle this bad boy?

It's a big beer, you could leave it in a secondary for a month or so for some bulk aging before bottling.

I am wanting to try this recipe for my first AG brew attempt. Do you think this is a feasible recipe for a first time All Grainer?

I have done mini-mashes up to this point, but am ready to take the plunge.

I still need to make my mash/tun and I am thinking of using a CPVC manifold in the bottom of the cooler.

What was your boil amount on this recipe? I may have to get a bigger pot.

It's not any harder than my Haus Pale Ale, just more grains. I like to boil 7 gallons down to 5.5 gallons.

I am wanting to try this recipe for my first AG brew attempt. Do you think this is a feasible recipe for a first time All Grainer?

I have done mini-mashes up to this point, but am ready to take the plunge.

I still need to make my mash/tun and I am thinking of using a CPVC manifold in the bottom of the cooler.

What was your boil amount on this recipe? I may have to get a bigger pot.

I did this recipe for my 2nd AG and it turned out great. AG won't be a problem since you've been doing PMs.

It's not any harder than my Haus Pale Ale, just more grains. I like to boil 7 gallons down to 5.5 gallons.

So I should expect that 1.5 gallon burn off to take 90 minutes?

Also, why 5.5 gallons? Don't you have a 5 gallon keg? Are you leaving room for any sediment that might be at the bottom of the fermentor with the last .5 gallon?

So I should expect that 1.5 gallon burn off to take 90 minutes?

Also, why 5.5 gallons? Don't you have a 5 gallon keg? Are you leaving room for any sediment that might be at the bottom of the fermentor with the last .5 gallon?

That depends on your kettle and burner system. You'll find out after you do a batch or two for 90 minutes.

I do 5.5 gallons as the extra two quarts come in handy to ensure that I have 5 gallons in a keg after racking and clearing the spigot and filling hydrometer jars.

Thank you for all of the help so far on this. I am preparing to brew this as my first AG recipe this coming weekend.

Here is the equipment that I will have to do so:

• 30 qt turkey fryer and gas burner
  • 10 gallon rubbermaid mash tun converted over with flyguys help (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/cheap-easy-10-gallon-rubbermaid-mlt-conversion-23008/)
  • Stainless steel false bottom (plastic tubing to go to spigot)
  • copper wort chiller, the pool will also be cold which I dip into and have found that works really well too.
  • 6.5 gallon glass carboy
  • bucket with spigot
  • hydrometer/thermometer
  • stiring sticks
  • PH 5.2
  • cleaning solutions
  • airlock
  • little stuff I can't think of

Can you think of anything I may be missing? I think I will have to batch sparge with this batch as I don't have anything to dispense with unless I use a bucket with a spigot on it, but then need something to evenly distribute the sparge water with. Anyone used a strainer before?

Also, I was wondering if anyone has mashed with a course ground coffee in a porter recipe, just some thoughts as I prepare for this first AG brew.

So, I am trying this recipe for my first AG brew this weekend. I have been a mini-mash guy up to this point, but with that being said.

Should I just plan on low efficiency or am I just paranoid? I am wondering if I should essentially plan a 6.5 gallon batch with grain, but plan a 5.5 gallon batch with water. What's the worst that could happen, a higher gravity beer?

What are you going to use for a mash tun and what is your sparge method?

Here is the equipment that I will have to do so:

* 30 qt turkey fryer and gas burner
* 10 gallon rubbermaid mash tun converted over with flyguys help (Cheap & Easy 10 Gallon Rubbermaid MLT Conversion)
* Stainless steel false bottom (plastic tubing to go to spigot)
* copper wort chiller, the pool will also be cold which I dip into and have found that works really well too.
* 6.5 gallon glass carboy
* bucket with spigot
* hydrometer/thermometer
* stiring sticks
* PH 5.2
* cleaning solutions
* airlock
* little stuff I can't think of

I plan on Batch Sparging.

Beersmith says to mash in with 17.38 qt of water and sparge with 7 qt at 75% effeciency. I don't know if that means with each batch or what.

Also, what Mash profile should I be using for Batch sparging.

EDIT:

Just did some more math and if I initially mash with 17 qts of water or just over 4.25 gallons of water. That is 3.18 gallons into the pot at the first draining with 75% efficiency. I then need 4.3 gallons more.

Seems like doing 2 sparges to yield 2.15 each or 2.86 gallons of hot water in each batch. This should get me close to the 7.5 gallons to boil.

Ed, you said this beer is chewy but you're mashing at 150F and using Notty. How are you getting that kind of mouthfeel?

You are on the right track. RDWHAHB.

You'll do fine. Just watch your temps. Use this site to help with your strike temp.

Green Bay Rackers--Mash Calculators

Thanks for the vote of confidence, but it's hard to relax and have a home brew when my keg is empty :(

But in all seriousness, thanks for you help Ed, I hope to do just fine with your help.

Ed, I am thinking about brewing this one. My main goal is to achieve an aroma of roast and cocoa. Would you keep the same proportions to get that result?

Back