Double Chocolate Stout...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluedragoon85

Reaction score
Hi. I am going to be brewing a 5 gallon batch of AHS extract double chocolate stout tomorrow. I wanted to try something funky, yet tasty. I haven't heard much about people brewing chocolate stouts on this forum, so I guess it isn't that common. I was hoping to get some feedback from does who have brewed it and if it actually has a strong chocolate flavor to it.

My recipe includes:

Malt Extract: 2 lb. Amber Extract, 5 lb. Dark Extract.
Specialty Grains: 3/4 lb. Chocolate, 1/2 lb 2-Row, 1/4 lb. Crystal 40 L, 1/8 lb. Black Patent, and 1/8 lb. Roasted Barley.
Additional Sugars: 1/2 lb. Malto Dextrin.
Hops: 1 oz. Galena (bittering)
Other: 1 oz. Unsweeted Cocoa.

Yeast: Muntons Ale (2 packets)

Mod edit: This is recipe related, it's been moved to the relevant forum.

I brewed Northern Brewers variant of that, its a Double Chocolate Cherry Stoudt. Im kegging it tonight but so far it tastse great!! If you like stoudt youll really enjoy the one you got, it has similar ingredients the one I brewed. Good Luck.:mug:

I've done the BYO AG Young's Double Chocolate Stout recipe. Came out great, when it was young. For some reason, it didn't age well. The chocolate taste was very evident as it used cocoa powder and chocolate extract. Be careful when adding the cocoa to the boil, if that's what your recipe calls for, as the powder provides a great opportunity for a massive boilover.

I've done the BYO AG Young's Double Chocolate Stout recipe. Came out great, when it was young. For some reason, it didn't age well. The chocolate taste was very evident as it used cocoa powder and chocolate extract. Be careful when adding the cocoa to the boil, if that's what your recipe calls for, as the powder provides a great opportunity for a massive boilover.

Thanks for the tip :) I will be adding the Cocoa during the las 5 minutes of the boil. Man, I can't wait! I love chocolate, and I love beer! Plus, the satisfaction of saying I brewed a chocolate flavored beer is priceless. I will try to hold of tasting the brew until it has been at least 3 weeks in bottles and then see how it tastes from there. How young did you drink yours?

I don't know that 1 oz. of cocoa will give you that much of a chocolate flavor. I use 4 oz. of unsweetened bakers chocolate in my chocolate stout, is powdered cocoa that much stronger?

I did that same kit from AHS when I was doing PM's. I added dark cherry extract along with the cocoa powder at bottling and I aged it on oak chips for a few weeks. It wasn't terrible, but the flavors did not go very well together.

I'd recommend that you follow the AHS instructions and see if you like the end result.

I'm curious about why you're using the 2 row...aren't you just steeping?

2-row is a base malt and needs to be mashed to get starch conversion. You won't get anything out of it just from steeping.

There were a couple of threads just last week on brewing chocolate stouts. And several recipes, if you haven't already, use the search function.

Revvy said:
I'm curious about why you're using the 2 row...aren't you just steeping?

2-row is a base malt and needs to be mashed to get starch conversion. You won't get anything out of it just from steeping.

There were a couple of threads just last week on brewing chocolate stouts. And several recipes, if you haven't already, use the search function.

Easy Revvy. If you haven't already researched the kit(s), here they are.

From AHS website
Fermentable Sugars:
Extract: 7 lbs. Liquid Malt Extract, .5 lbs. Base Grains, 1.25 lbs. Specialty Grains.
Mini Mash: 5 lbs. Liquid Malt Extract, 2.5 lbs. Base Grains, 1.25 lbs. Specialty Grains.
All Grain: 9 lbs. Base Grains, 1.25 lbs. Specialty Grains
http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?cPath=178_452_42_159&products_id=310

Bluedragoon, I would be interested in the instructions. Would you mind posting the reference to the two row addition?

Bluedragoon, I would be interested in the instructions. Would you mind posting the reference to the two row addition?

The instructions state:

In a 16 to 20 quart stainless stockpot, bring 2 1/2 gallons of water to 155 F and turn off heat.

Put the crushed grains in the grain bag:
3/4 lb. Chocolate, 1/2 lb 2-Row, 1/4 lb. Crystal 40L, 1/8 lb. Black Patent, 1/8 lb. Roasted Barley.

Soak the grain in the hot water for 15 minutes. Lift the grain bag in and out of the water as if it is a teabag. After soaking the grains, lift the grain bag our of the water being careful not to splash yourself. Once the bag has dripped almost all of the water out, discard the grains and return to heat until boiling.

... and that is about it. I was curious to about the 2-row since I read somewhere that it is a base grain. However, it is an extract brew, but it would be nice to get that doubt out of my head as to why I'm using 2-row.

bluedragoon85 said:
... and that is about it. I was curious to about the 2-row since I read somewhere that it is a base grain. However, it is an extract brew, but it would be nice to get that doubt out of my head as to why I'm using 2-row.

I know with victory malt, you can both mash and steep...So that can be used either in Extract with grains or AG... I've not seen 2 row in the grainbill for other company's kits...I wonder if Forrest at Austin Homebrew Supply can jump on to explain why. I googled "steeping 2 row" last night and found no info....

But I did find a couple extract w/grains recipes on the web that included it (one for a hefe), but they usually called for a 60 minute steep rather than the traditional 30 minutes. hmmm...

But looking at some AG info, it looks like 155 is an acceptable temp for mashing with 2 row... SO it looks like there is some enzymatic action gained from steeping with it.

Even HBT's own wiki lists it as requiring mashing https://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Malts_Chart

I just ran through a bunch of the recipes on LD carlson's website, they don't include it in the grainbills for their BB extract w/spc grains kits.

Methinks the AHS kit will make a really complex and excellant beer...but 15 minutes steeping doesn't sound long enough though...I'd go a minimum 30...maybe even consider treating it like a PM or the hefe recipe and give it a whole hour...

But it's really interesting that they included it...

Professor Frink said:
I don't know that 1 oz. of cocoa will give you that much of a chocolate flavor. I use 4 oz. of unsweetened bakers chocolate in my chocolate stout, is powdered cocoa that much stronger?

I don't think the powder is stronger per se than the unsweetened chocolate, but I'm no expert. I used 4 oz in my mint chocolate stout, and its perfect for me. I agree though that 1 oz is low.

Professor Frink said:

Trust me I wouldn't steer you wrong. This is my recipe and people really like it as is. I get the most complaints when people throw other ingredients in. 1 oz. of unsweetened cocoa is 1/4 cup. It is a fair amount of chocolate on top of the chocolate grains in the recipe.

Forrest

I thought 1 oz was 1/8 of a cup? But anyway, if the recipe works as is and everyone states they like. I guess follow it!

Austinhomebrew said:
Trust me I wouldn't steer you wrong. This is my recipe and people really like it as is. I get the most complaints when people throw other ingredients in. 1 oz. of unsweetened cocoa is 1/4 cup. It is a fair amount of chocolate on top of the chocolate grains in the recipe.

Forrest

MY hero...I knew you'd come!!!! :D

So why 2 row in your steeping grainbill? Until this thread came up I never saw it mentioned in conjunction with Extract w/ grain recipes before....Should we be adding some with our own recipes as well?

We added 2-row to all of our kits. 2-row has enzymes that (in theory) help "convert" more sugars and flavor out of the specialty grains. It is a good idea to add a little to every recipe. If you read about 2-row and mashing. it has nothing to do with getting the sugars out of the 1/2 pound of 2 row added. We add it for the enzymes and not the sugar. If you were trying to convert the sugars of the 2-row then you would need to steep it longer. If you follow the instructions you will be ok.

Forrest

Austinhomebrew said:
We added 2-row to all of our kits. 2-row has enzymes that (in theory) help "convert" more sugars and flavor out of the specialty grains. It is a good idea to add a little to every recipe. If you read about 2-row and mashing. it has nothing to do with getting the sugars out of the 1/2 pound of 2 row added. We add it for the enzymes and not the sugar. If you were trying to convert the sugars of the 2-row then you would need to steep it longer. If you follow the instructions you will be ok.

Forrest

WOW!! You learn something new everyday!

Thanks Forrest.

Austinhomebrew said:

Forrest

I did this with a scottish ale kit that I got. I did a little mash with 2 lbs of 2row and the specialty grains and the beer came out AMAZING! The 2row added a nice mouth feel and some extra sugars that gave the beer a good kick. Head retention is awesome as well. If I do extracts again I will always do them partial/little mash.
Should be all grain by next weekend though.

I did a chocolate mint stout last fall/winter and used some godiva chocolate liqueur in the secondary. It had a fantastic taste, but the nose lacked a little. If I tried it again I was debating using the Godiva at bottling time instead.
How did the extract work as far as smell was concerned?

Im looking for an extract clone of Youngs Double Chocolate Stout, or if anyone has anything very close, Id really appreciate it

I have done this exact kit and have just started drinking. It is a great beer. A good taste of chocolate but doesn't over power. Great beer! My only advice is let it sit in the bottles for a couple months.

Nice thread here - I wish I could do a SEARCH easier but had to google to find this thread.

I just ordered AHS Double Chocolate Stout today so I can age it for the winter months!

I had the same ?? above my head when I saw the 2-row for steeping.

I'm mini-mashing though!

Can't wait - thanks.

Forrest

Don't mean to be rude but I don't buy this. I mean, if you really wanted to extract all the flavor from the specialty grains then why do you only steep for 15 minutes? Wouldn't it make sense to steep for a longer period - say 30 minutes?

When I saw the 1/2 lb of 2-row I assumed that there would be some flaked barley in the specialty grains for mouthfeel. That would require some partial-mashing.

Okay so, I tried the Young's Double Chocolate Stout last night in the can with the Nitro widget and I must say I was thoroughly impressed. However, I was reading the BYO clone recipe and I have gotta say I am having a hard time believing there is no Roasted Barley in there. Thoughts?

What's the BYO recipe look like? It's been a while since I had a Young's double but I don't remember much of a roasted flavor to it. I'll have to go find some.

I think it's like 13 oz of Chocolate Malt, no Roasted Barley, no Black Patent, etc. Imo, it was way roastier and darker than they have printed up (actually, I don't recall the Lov #).

I think it's like 13 oz of Chocolate Malt, no Roasted Barley, no Black Patent, etc. Imo, it was way roastier and darker than they have printed up (actually, I don't recall the Lov #).

The recipe in the first post is apparently designed after Young's. It includes both the roasted barley and the black patent, and I agree it needs both, haven't seen the BYO version though.

I thought 1 oz was 1/8 of a cup? But anyway, if the recipe works as is and everyone states they like. I guess follow it!

1 oz. of liquid is an 1/8th of a cup. 1 oz. of weight for cocoa happens to be 1/4 cup. 1 oz. of gold would be far less than 1/4 cup and 1 oz. of feathers would be far more than 1/4 cup.

The problem is comparing weight ounces with liquid ounces.

Brewed this recipe a few weeks back and I'm pleased with the result. I tasted it a week after putting it in the bottle, it was still bitter with a slight chocolate flavor. After just 1 more week the taste has improved dramatically. It's very close in flavor to Young's. I'll brew this 1 again.

I used the mini-mash kit and just followed the instructions.

Thanks for following the instructions. People always second guess this recipe. But it is one of our best selling recipes by far.
People should make it first and then alter it any way they want on the second batch.

You won't believe the number of posts that say "I bought the Double Chocolate Stout from AHS. I changed the kit because... The beer turned out just ok. Next time I am going to add a Mounds bar."

Forrest

Wow, I just had my first on-tap Young's Double Chocolate Stout. I've had the canned version many times, and love it, but on tap it's just spectacular.

I have to brew a clone now.

Hi. I am going to be brewing a 5 gallon batch of AHS extract double chocolate stout tomorrow. I wanted to try something funky, yet tasty. I haven't heard much about people brewing chocolate stouts on this forum, so I guess it isn't that common. I was hoping to get some feedback from does who have brewed it and if it actually has a strong chocolate flavor to it.

My recipe includes:

Malt Extract: 2 lb. Amber Extract, 5 lb. Dark Extract.
Specialty Grains: 3/4 lb. Chocolate, 1/2 lb 2-Row, 1/4 lb. Crystal 40 L, 1/8 lb. Black Patent, and 1/8 lb. Roasted Barley.
Additional Sugars: 1/2 lb. Malto Dextrin.
Hops: 1 oz. Galena (bittering)
Other: 1 oz. Unsweeted Cocoa.

Yeast: Muntons Ale (2 packets)

Mod edit: This is recipe related, it's been moved to the relevant forum.

Is this the exact recipe AHS uses? I looked on their website but I didn't see the exact amount of each ingredient. Did your kit come with a bag for steeping specialty grains? I am interested in trying this kit too.

I brewed this kit last Friday and it is sitting in the primary. The recipe is right here in front of me. It contains:
12 oz Choc Malt
8 oz 2-Row Malt
4 oz Crystal 40L Malt
2 oz Black Patent Malt
2 oz Black Roasted Barley

All the above came in a bag. Steep at 155* for 25 minutes

8 oz Malto Dextrin
2 lb Amber Extract
5 lb Dark Extract
1 oz Galena
1 oz Belgian Cocoa
1 packet of Wyeast 1098 British Ale yeast.

It looks like the steeping time has increased from the 15 min posted originally. I made a starter and mine fermented in 36 hours. Letting it clean up and will transfer to a secondary in about another week. In the meantime I need to buy some more Young's while I wait.

Back