Belgin Wit!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMD87

Reaction score
Hello all!

I am new to this forum and feel like I should thank everyone for the amount of information I've "absorbed" in the past few days.

Anyway, I'm about to do a Belgin Wit Partial Mash, and am looking for advice on how to clone Blue Moon as closely as possible.

I am using a kit from Annapolis Hom Brew as this is my first PM.
Last one on the bottom -> http://www.annapolishomebrew.com/shoprecipekits112.asp

My question to you is I know that timing the addition of orange peel & corriander at the end of the boil is critical in cloning blue moon. Also the Mash temp seems to be a critical factor. Can someone recommend time & temp for these items? Any other tips?

Thanks everyone!

LMAO... I grew up in Annapolis!!!!!:rockin:

Coriander and Orange peel near the end of the boil. some say 5min some say 15min.

The mash would be the same amount of time as any AG recipe. That is a lighter bodied beer so 150 for 60min should do you fine.

That is about as far as I can go without knowing the grains that are in the kit.
Does it contain oats and are the oats flaked? Are the grains at least 50% or more base malt.

I don't need to rehash it all, honestly, because I'd just bastardize it. I think I've mastered the wit, thanks in large part to Jamil. Listen to THIS, then brew. Cheers!

I don't need to rehash it all, honestly, because I'd just bastardize it. I think I've mastered the wit, thanks in large part to Jamil. Listen to THIS, then brew. Cheers!

Interesting stuff. Mashing a wit right now. What about using a coffee grinder for the coriander? Sounds like it would really pulverize it. Good or bad idea?

Big "A";690042 said:
LMAO... I grew up in Annapolis!!!!!:rockin:

Coriander and Orange peel near the end of the boil. some say 5min some say 15min.

The mash would be the same amount of time as any AG recipe. That is a lighter bodied beer so 150 for 60min should do you fine.

That is about as far as I can go without knowing the grains that are in the kit.
Does it contain oats and are the oats flaked? Are the grains at least 50% or more base malt.
Thanks for the info. One thing that I don't like about the kit I bought, they do not list ingredients or quantities. They just filled a bag of grain/oats & said "Trust us!"

Like I said it's my first Partial Mash, which will probably just influence me to go to all grain after. I have everything I need besides a bigger pot, which will be my next purchase.

Thanks again

I just did a Wit that turned out great. The one thing to remember though is a Blue Moon does not use a Belgian Yeast, I think it uses Cal Ale. Your basically leaning on the orange and corriander for the flavor. I used safale T-58 and it turned out really nice, slightly peppery and spicy. A compromise may be to Pitch some Cal Ale AND T-58 to just get a hint of spiciness from the yeast. I also used the zest of 5 fresh oranges and it was great.

I have added the corriander and orange peels typically in the last 15 mins. If you do it in the last 5 you may get a bit more aroma then you want rather then taste.

Back