Shelf life of an open bag of hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theciderkid

Reaction score
I was forced to buy a pound of Amarillo hops at my lhbs, due to lack of 1 oz bags. I used what I needed and put the rest of the pound in a freezer bag, and placed it in the freezer. i have been told that those hops will be unusable come next brew day ( a week later), ruling?

Nope,they'll last longer than that resealed. They'll last longer vacuum sealed in smaller packages in the freezer.

I hope so....I dove into this hobby 6 months ago, and am sitting on about 5 pounds of various hops! Still waiting for the snow to stop here in Calgary!

Thanks, I'm hoping for 6 to 8 months. Is that a possibility?

Sure. If you vacuum seal them, they'll be good for a year or two or more. In ziploc bags with the air squeezed out, they'd definitely last 6-8 months or longer. (This all assumes them being kept in the freezer).

Sure. If you vacuum seal them, they'll be good for a year or two or more. In ziploc bags with the air squeezed out, they'd definitely last 6-8 months or longer. (This all assumes them being kept in the freezer).

True this. I have a lot of NZ hop pellets left in the freezer from last july purchase date. I got them when midwest had'em on sale to advertise their having them. Put the packets in a big zip lock freezer bag with the air burped out back then. Still pungent now,so I have to agree you're good to go.:mug:

No problem. I have some bulk hops in the freezer that are almost a year old, and they still smell and taste great.

Any hops that you are worried about can be subjected to sniff and hop tea tasting to gauge their viability before using.

With ANY and ALL foodstuffs(which are collections of organic compounds(chemicals)) which you want to preserve, keep them away from: heat, light, extremes of pH(acid/base), oxygen, bacteria, mold, pets. Oh, and time.
Of this list, my guess is the Oxygen problem is the hardest to solve. If you have CO2(filtered CO2 from a ferm'n?) or nitrogen, slooooowly flush it with the gas from bottom up.
Now, here it is:
There exists a device called an aspirator. The old models were glass, new ones are PE and/or PP. Yes, they ARE cheap. And small, about 5' long, 2' wide, only a few oz. in weight. And nonbreakable. With no metal parts.
You hook the inlet to a regular water supply line, such as using a standard female hose fitting to which you attach the asp'r by a length of thick poly tubing or narrow garden hose. Anything, as long as you can get std. line pressure into the asp'r. It has a small side tube, aaaannnndddddd...at this side tube you will get, not water, but a near-complete VACUUM. Now, don't you think a vacuum would come in handy?
Now, you use this device at your own risk!!! I don't want any legal trouble from someone misusing their asp'r.
Where to get one? Why, the Internet!!! Good luck.

AlCophile said:
With ANY and ALL foodstuffs(which are collections of organic compounds(chemicals)) which you want to preserve, keep them away from: heat, light, extremes of pH(acid/base), oxygen, bacteria, mold, pets. Oh, and time.
Of this list, my guess is the Oxygen problem is the hardest to solve. If you have CO2(filtered CO2 from a ferm'n?) or nitrogen, slooooowly flush it with the gas from bottom up.
Now, here it is:
There exists a device called an aspirator. The old models were glass, new ones are PE and/or PP. Yes, they ARE cheap. And small, about 5' long, 2' wide, only a few oz. in weight. And nonbreakable. With no metal parts.
You hook the inlet to a regular water supply line, such as using a standard female hose fitting to which you attach the asp'r by a length of thick poly tubing or narrow garden hose. Anything, as long as you can get std. line pressure into the asp'r. It has a small side tube, aaaannnndddddd...at this side tube you will get, not water, but a near-complete VACUUM. Now, don't you think a vacuum would come in handy?
Now, you use this device at your own risk!!! I don't want any legal trouble from someone misusing their asp'r.
Where to get one? Why, the Internet!!! Good luck.

I find it easier to buy hops in 1 ounce packets. Just sayin'

SavoryChef said:
I find it easier to pay $.60 to $1.00 an ounce when i buy in bulk and not $2.00 and ounce. Just sayin

I didn't mean to be rude. I was just joking about AlCophile's aspirator vacuum post.

I was forced to buy a pound of Amarillo hops at my lhbs, due to lack of 1 oz bags. I used what I needed and put the rest of the pound in a freezer bag, and placed it in the freezer. i have been told that those hops will be unusable come next brew day ( a week later), ruling?

+1 to the vacuum sealer and freezer. I buy my most commonly used varieties by the pound and break them down into 4 or 6 oz. packages. Vacuum seal the packages and put them in the freezer. I figure that I can use out of a package for several brewing sessions without disturbing the others. And by making the bag a little oversize I can cut it down when opening and then reseal it. By the time I've pulled an ounce or two out over several sessions the bag is cut down small enough that it is done. Makes sealer bags last longer that way.

4 hops 2.JPG

It will be nice to save some money and have extra on hand for spur of the moment brew days, which is how most of mine happen

BeerSmith2 has a hop age tool which will estimate the alpha acids lost over time for different hop varieties. You can even specify the storage method and temperature. One of the options is for storage in "poly/plastic bags". Anyone know if BeerSmith offers an accurate estimate?

Even so, I guess alpha acid isn't the whole story when it comes to hop oxidation and aging. Aroma would be affected too. Plus isn't there a difference between storability for leaf and pellet hops?

can anyone recommend a vacuum sealer?

Rival and FoodSaver are the big two for home use. I have had FoodSaver type and tried the rival a a year ago when money was tight. They both work well, but the Rival tends to die faster under moderately heavy use. Of course you will pay twice as much for a FoodSaver, but most of mine have lasted 3 to 4 years. I make beef jerky, dried fruits, plan on growing and drying my own hops, buy hops and grain in bulk, plus all my food stuffs. I use my sealer on a nearly daily basis, so YMMV. If you are not planning on abusing your sealer the way I do, then I would say to look at the Rival brand runs about $45US.

Mouse

can anyone recommend a vacuum sealer?

We have a Foodsaver (our second one) and it works pretty good. It's in the current Costco coupon book for $120. Regular price is $150.

We use ours a lot too. The wife uses it and I vacuum seal leftover malts and all my hops. The bags can be a little spendy but if you're creative you can stretch them out. Some guys like using the jar sealers to avoid using the bags at all. It's cheaper but has it's own storage issues.

I bought a food saver vac sealer, some Mylar bags, and oxygen absorbing packets.

I can't get my my vac sealer to work on the Mylar to suction, let alone seal, but hear there is a way to do it by using a small section of the food saver bag material. I haven't tried using the oxygen absorbers, because I am worried that once I open the package they are all going to go bad. And until I get the Mylar seal problem, solved I'm not going to open the package.

That said, I hear all the guys on another forum, not a beer forum, rave about the Cabala brand vac sealer, but its nearly $500 as I recall...

I try not to stock up on hops, anymore, and try to order fresh when I can. I've thrown out many hops that are probably perfectly fine, but I didn't feel comfortable spending the time and energy to brew with hops once they get beyond a year old even in the freezer, especially once opened from Mylar pouches.

The hop shortage is over, except for the designer new breeds. The thing killing me is the shipping and handling prices!!

Flat rate shipping is gone at some online retailers. You buy a pound of hops and bam! $9 to ship it to you. Even still there is no guarantee your hops will arrive fresh and Undamaged by heat, or whatnot. I ve got no LHBS nearby. Nearest over hour drive, toll roads, 10 mpg so that adds up to 2-3 hours of my time, plus $40-50 in gas.

I wish amazon prime did brewing ingredients.... And I'm not talking about the Midwest, tack in the s&h to the cost stuff..

How do the big online homebrew stores handle their hops I wonder? They must buy in bulk and repackage. With the high volume guys, they must access their storage many many times per day filling orders. When they label the 1oz packs do they adjust the AA based on the storage conditions and time since they acquired their hops? I don't know.

I think we should all institute a local hop trade amongst our fellow home brewers, and that we should all consider a garbage can beer at years end, or shortly before the new year of hop harvests hit the homebrew shops, to throw all last years hops, old malt and fractional specialty grains into a single beer to use it up before it goes bad.

Sorry for the rant

This weekend I just brewed with some old Cascade.... and when I was playing around with the new "BeerSmith" program I found a Alpfa Acid Calculator.

I plugged in the AA of the hops (5.5%) and the age (12 months) and according to the software the actual AA of the hops was now 3.35%.

Using that I used a "whole-lot-a" bunch more than I had planned.

There might be a "On-line" calculator that you could use...

Nope,they'll last longer than that resealed. They'll last longer vacuum sealed in smaller packages in the freezer.

Is it better to break a pound into smaller bags?

I guess it would make sense from the standpoint of exposing them to air every time I open to take a few out. Although I just keep the hops in the mylar bags they came in, then throw that into a large foodsaver bag, then re-vacuum seal it after I get what I need. Although, if I know I'm going to dry hop for a recipe, I take those out as well at that time and seal them in their own package.

Just wondering how big of a difference the individual packs, apposed to one large pack would make.

Is it better to break a pound into smaller bags?

I guess it would make sense from the standpoint of exposing them to air every time I open to take a few out. Although I just keep the hops in the mylar bags they came in, then throw that into a large foodsaver bag, then re-vacuum seal it after I get what I need. Although, if I know I'm going to dry hop for a recipe, I take those out as well at that time and seal them in their own package.

Just wondering how big of a difference the individual packs, apposed to one large pack would make.

I bought 2lbs of CTZ and 1lb of Cascade. I just spend the money on the sealer bags and broke everything down into 2oz for Cascades and 1oz or 2oz for the CTZ. Now I just grab what I need and don't worry about opening them if I don't need them.

Mouse

I think it's better to break up pounds into onces...of course,I am from the generation that's used to doing this. :D I place 1oz sealed packets of purchased hops in a zip lock freezer bag on the lil shelf above the ice maker.
That way,they don't get buried,crushed,etc as they would on the lower shelves. They've kept pretty good for months this way.

I paid 25 dollars for a pound of Amarillo hops, northern brewer is selling an oz for 2.99. 16 oz in a lbs. so that works out to 48 dollars. I think I did good, plus everyone is out of stock.

In terms of keeping them fresh till needed it is quite economical. Better than going into a pound bag to get what you need,exposing them to air & sealing again.

Say it cost me about $90-100 for the sealing setup (and not even counting how much I save grocery wise buying meat in bulk at Sams and sealing), I am saving generally any where from $1.00 - $2.00 per oz on hops depending on what it is (LHBS sells most stuff for 2.50-3.50 an ounce, and gets pi$$y whenever I go in for some grain or yeast, and he asks me if I need hops and I say no thanks). I have about 8 lbs of hops in the freezer right now, so by the time I work through all of these, I will have more than paid for the vac sealer and bags. With the grocery savings as well (buying in bulk and not having stuff go bad and have to be thrown out) I have probably already paid for it and I've only had it since xmas.

I was considering it mostly for some savings, but I'm thinking that having access to the scarcer hops whenever I wanted is benefit enough.

We have a Foodsaver (our second one) and it works pretty good. It's in the current Costco coupon book for $120. Regular price is $150.

We use ours a lot too. The wife uses it and I vacuum seal leftover malts and all my hops. The bags can be a little spendy but if you're creative you can stretch them out. Some guys like using the jar sealers to avoid using the bags at all. It's cheaper but has it's own storage issues.

I have found a source of Foodsaver style bags on eBay for about half of the cost of the brand name. I use one pint bags for four ounces of pellets and don't cut then down before sealing them. That way I can open the bag, take an ounce out and reseal the same bag multiple times until all the hops are used up. Very cost effective.

When I sold my kegerator (by the way, don't ever sell your kegerator) we lost the hop freezer. I picked up another freezer from a friend for free! Score! Currently home for homemade pizza dough, rare dried chile peppers, and hops. Plus the beer pong frozen racks!

TD

Back