Taste and % is as desired but still bubbling..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nvs-brew

Reaction score
As stated percentage and taste of my cider is fantastic at the moment, my airlock is still bubbly..
I cannot Cold crash my cider and can only bottle it.
What are my options?

Chances are out if still fermenting. If you cannot cold crash you'll have to pasteurise. Read over the sticky about stove top pasteurizing and follow the instructions.

It would be a good idea too check the SG first though

if it's where you want it throw in some potassium sorbate to stop fermentation. otherwise, if it goes past it to too dry, add the sorbate, wait 2 days, then back-sweeten

It started at 1041, currently at 1005...so close to the 5% mark...
Taste is starting to get more and more dry, that's why I would like to try stop it developing any more into a very dry cider
I've heard a mix of potassium and those tablet things would halt it..
Just trying not to back sweeten at this moment..enjoying the natural flavour it has now

Just so much info online about how potassium will only stall the fermentation and not stop it...

Would really like to get a old fridge and cold crash it...that seems the best option. Only problem is...it's a option ATM I don't have the chance to do.

Just bottles them as is and bottle one in a plastic bottle when the plastic bottle is hard and firm then pasteurize the bottles as described in the stovetop pasteurization tread. Basically just heating the bottles in a water bath to pasteurization temp then allow to cool and your done.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/easy-stove-top-pasteurizing-pics-193295/

AWSOME..
cheers

yeah think im best of getting some plastic bottles for this and future ciders!
or find a free beer fridge stat

cheers guys!

:tank:

+1 for the stove top pasteurizing. I've had the exact situation you're describing (in fact by design since i made the 5 day sweet country cider) and its super easy and works perfectly.

AWSOME..
cheers

yeah think im best of getting some plastic bottles for this and future ciders!
or find a free beer fridge stat

cheers guys!

:tank:

You don't want to just bottle in plastic bottles, that won't stop them from blowing up. It'll just keep them from sending glass chards everywhere. They will be a lot less dangerous, but still horribly messy!

You need to bottle pasteurize and you can't do that in plastic bottles. You want ONE plastic bottle if you are trying to judge your carbonation level. If you want it flat, then just bottle and pasteurize right away. If you want it sparkling, then use ONE plastic bottle and wait until it is firm. Open it up once it is and see if it is where you want it. Once it is carbonated to your desired level, then you are good to pasteurize.

It'll all be in the link GilSwillBasementBrews showed you:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/easy-stove-top-pasteurizing-pics-193295/[/QUOTE]

Good luck!

well i did go for the the stove top pasteurizing route...
bottled last night...now to just pop 1 open every 2 days and see if its got the carbination i desire!
then to the next step...
your help has been greatly appreciated
champions!

470_beers.jpg

cheers

nvs-brew said:
well i did go for the the stove top pasteurizing route...
bottled last night...now to just pop 1 open every 2 days and see if its got the carbination i desire!
then to the next step...
your help has been greatly appreciated
champions!

cheers

Be careful, 2 days can be a long time. You might over carb in that time...

If you fill one plastic bottle, you can use it to determine when to start checking it. Once it gets firm, then start cracking them open once every few hours (i think).

Hopefully someone more experience at this can help. I like my cider dry, so I don't need to pasteurise... But I know a couple day is enough time to have it over carb.

thanks for the heads up! :)
shame i bottled them all into glass last night...will remember the plastic bottle trick for next time..

DAMN...guess that means im going to have to try 1 everyday now hahahaha
how terrible is that? :p

just went got my thermometer, so im all ready to rock and roll when its carbonated to my liking!

got a chocolate porter lme aswell, and some other ingredience...so now onto the next batch!
i love learning about the stuff...

thanks for the heads up! :)
shame i bottled them all into glass last night...will remember the plastic bottle trick for next time..

DAMN...guess that means im going to have to try 1 everyday now hahahaha
how terrible is that? :p

just went got my thermometer, so im all ready to rock and roll when its carbonated to my liking!

got a chocolate porter lme aswell, and some other ingredience...so now onto the next batch!
i love learning about the stuff...

yeah be careful, I had a much higher FG than yours but mine carbed in about 4 hours. yours will be slower but still be careful with it

Tried one when I got home from work, bottle bubbled over BUT on tasting, little to no carbination!

Bottled my larger just then..going to pasteurise my cider tomorrow..
U think that's wise?

nvs-brew said:
Tried one when I got home from work, bottle bubbled over BUT on tasting, little to no carbination!

Bottled my larger just then..going to pasteurise my cider tomorrow..
U think that's wise?

If there is little to no carbonation, why not crack one open and transfer into a plastic pop bottle. It sounds like things are moving along slowly.

Actually you can practice with the cap tightness on the plastic bottles and get to a point where they will release excessive pressure. No bombs, no splits, and a lot of oft needed experience.

I'm kind of new here and this is my first post. I grew up with root beer in bail top glass mason jars, hooch, more hooch, actual purchased malt extract hooch and then got old enough to actually purchase beverages legally. It was extremely seldom when there was a bomb, I've only seen one or two and those by others. I go back aways, all the way to the good ol' days".

Nice meetin' y'all.

Yeah i almost tranfered some into a plastic bottle this morning...BUT leaving it in the glass bottles just gives me a excuse to try some when i get home! hahahaha

fingers crossed it should be more cabonated this evening...if not, THEN i shall do the ol plastic bottle experiment!

5404272430_3b7f702aeb.jpg

hahaha if all goes well i shall post the vid to this song tomorrow...classic english music..funny as fcuk

... all done and pasteurised, do I leave it the min 4 weeks like beer or?

nvs-brew said:
... all done and pasteurised, do I leave it the min 4 weeks like beer or?

You shouldn't need to, but it never hurts the brew to wait... It all depends on your patience and willingness to wait. Some times people wait months to open the first bottle...

I've got 5 different brew in bottles...all waiting to be ready! 4 weeks should be enuff! May have a few cheeky ones before even...
No way I can wait months!
Just as I never done a cider or pasteurised, wasn't aware of all the steps

Back