Sweet Stout Deception Cream Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thirstyutahn said:
Hi all, this is my first post and this was also my first brew ever. With the help of a friend I went straight into all-grain and this is the recipe I used. Everything seemed to go very smoothly and I hit 1.054 og. My only concern is that my wort ended looking very brown as opposed to the very dark brown - black I was expecting. I'll try to give as much info as possible to hopefully help me diagnose the problem.

Recipe was the same except my LHBS only had .5 lbs of white white malt, so he recommended 1lb of flaked wheat in addition to the .5 lb of white wheat. Also he was out of 60L caramel so I got 55L instead. Everything else was spot on and I used 7 pounds of us pale malt 2 row. My LHBS used his mill to crush my specialty grains and my buddy used his mill to crush my 2row(he averages 80% eff)

I heated 3.125 gallons of water to 165 I believe and my mash tun temp came out to 151 so I added 2 cups of boiling water to get it to 152. I mashed for 60 min. I batch sparged with 4.5 gallons(2 at 2.25 gallons each time) of water at 170. Now when I first drained into my brewpot my wort was very dark as expected but on my first sparge it was lighter and on my second it was also lighter. After my 60 min boil and all that when i dumped it into my 6 gallon fermentation bucket it was way higher than expected. I mean I'm about 3 in from the top and certainly more than 5 gallons. I thought I would be under because beersmith was saying I'd need a little over 8 gallons of water.

Any idea what I did wrong? Sorry for the novel but I always hate when people ask what went wrong but don't give any details. Thanks for the help :).

I'm thinking you might of not boiled off enough if you got more than you thought. I'm just a noob but that's my thought:)

I have transferred to 2ndary and the sample was just flat amazing. I will be starting a 2nd batch of this with out delay.

Just an update on my post. I went to check the gravity and when I popped the lid I was pleasantly surprised that the beer was exactly the color I was looking for and was right on track at 1.020 after about 4 days fermenting. That puts me at 4.43% and makes me one happy camper :). Must have been all the sediment or something making it look brown.

Looking forward to tasting this one.

Drinking one of these right now..

Very nice recipe. I can see this going pretty fast. Tastes of chocolate and coffee are just the right amount. On my brew again list. yum....

My wife likes stouts that are slightly sweeter, so I may do another batch with a little more lactose and try another yeast (I used US-05) for her so she does not drink all of this batch.

So I'm going to make this my first beer!

I have a few questions though so bear with me if they're silly.

So I toss all this stuff in a pot except the lactose, whirfock, and nutrient. Then boil it, add the others at their allotted times, cool it off, funnel it into my carboy (or should I use my bucket for this?), wait 30 days, and bottle?

Thank you very much!

I brewed this on 8-23-2011 and my OG was 1.060 which is close to whats called for. I'm bottling tonight and my FG is 1.020. This is the first beer that didn't finish up at 1.010.

Is this because of the .5 lb of lactose which is not fermentable?

Also this is the first brew that I've done where I didn't rack to a secondary. I just left it in primary for 29 days.

EDIT: Nevermind, the recipe calls for 1.020.

For those doing five gallon extract batches, where are you buying your ingredients? At Austinhomebrew, everything comes out to about $55. Is it cheaper elsewhere?

Okay so I guess that's standard price for this recipe (if doing extract). Thanks!

Has anyone tried St. Peter's Cream Stout? I really want to brew this, so I went and got some St. Peter's (since I'm not well versed in cream stouts). I am not really digging the St. Peter's so I was wondering how the two compare.

Anyone tried converting this to a 2.5 or 3 gallon batch?

Use Beersmith or one of the other programs. There are several free calculators online. Start by cutting all of the ingredients in half then adjust the hops slightly to match the IBU's.

Use Beersmith or one of the other programs. There are several free calculators online. Start by cutting all of the ingredients in half then adjust the hops slightly to match the IBU's.

I tried a free calculator online. Worked well. Thanks! :mug:

One concern with hop adjustment:
I put in the original hop amt. into the program and came up with 83 IBUs?? Is the right? I kept scaling down hop amounts to try and reach it but never got there. I thought I was going to need to scale UP the hops bc of less h2o...or am I just being an idiot and doing something wrong here.

I tried a free calculator online. Worked well. Thanks! :mug:

One concern with hop adjustment:
I put in the original hop amt. into the program and came up with 83 IBUs?? Is the right? I kept scaling down hop amounts to try and reach it but never got there. I thought I was going to need to scale UP the hops bc of less h2o...or am I just being an idiot and doing something wrong here.

No, you wouldn't scale up the hops. Although you will get less hop utilization with less water, you still have a lot of hops for the overall recipe. I threw this on Beersmith this morning and I calculate it as needing approximately .5 oz of Magnum for a 2.5-3 gal batch. Obviously, if you use a different hop, like Northern Brewer, you will likely need to slightly up that amount because Magnum is so high in AA%.

Wonderful brew :mug: Thank you sir.

deception_cream_stout.jpg

I poured my first glass from the keg and this is the best beer I have made to date, thanks for sharing this!!!

I bottled my first batch of this brew a few days ago. The hydrometer test tasted quite good, as did the final liquid that didn't fill a bottle. Very yummy! I look forward to cracking one open toward the end of October!

glenn514:mug:

I bottled my batch about a week ago. 3 more weeks til I get to try it. I've been looking forward to trying this batch for a while now.

I can't wait to brew this recipe on Thursday this week. It will be my first all-grain recipe since February of this year. I haven't had the time to do a nice, involved all-grain brew since my son was born. Been doing extract brews and it's just not the same. :)

I plan to follow the recipe, and the only changes I have made are to substitute 0.75 oz of chinook hops instead of the magnum, since I already had the chinook and I will be adding an extra pound of 2-row to make up for my consistently low efficiency. Blah! I got the Wyeast 1084 Irish ale yeast for this batch and will be making my first 2L starter for this batch. It will also be the first batch that I will keg. I recently got my kegging system together and have a mini-fridge kegerator just begging to be filled.

Wish me luck. I'll report back with how everything went and post a pic of the first pint I pull of this delicious brew. We need more pics on this thread.

Glad you are back in the AG game. Don't forget to adjust your bittering hops to achieve 30ibu rather than just using 0.75. The original recipe was for a 4.5 gallon concentrated boil. Love the 1084 choice. It makes great beer.

Yeah, I wanted to keep it around 28-30 IBU, and with .75oz of 10.9% AA chinook in a 5 gal (6.5gal boil) batch for 60min, BeerSmith is giving me 28.4 IBU. Weird that you were getting about the same IBU with the same amount of 13.4% AA magnums at 60min. I wonder if BeerSmith is a little off then. ?? Maybe I'll bump it up to a full 1oz just to be safe. I don't want it to be cloying.

Yeah, I wanted to keep it around 28-30 IBU, and with .75oz of 10.9% AA chinook in a 5 gal (6.5gal boil) batch for 60min, BeerSmith is giving me 28.4 IBU. Weird that you were getting about the same IBU with the same amount of 13.4% AA magnums at 60min. I wonder if BeerSmith is a little off then. ?? Maybe I'll bump it up to a full 1oz just to be safe. I don't want it to be cloying.

See above. I did a smaller boil originally = lower hop utilization = less IBU per oz.

OMGWTFBBQ1 I tried one after 2 weeks of bottle conditioning and I'm amazed. I will definitely strive to always try to have some of this on hand.

P.S. Also, I think I'll hide some of these so my friends don't find my stash.

Just brewed this today, using it as a base for a Pumpkin Stout. Added 4 lbs of pumpkin puree to the mash, and spices at the end of boil. Came out at 1.060 OG. Can't wait to see how this comes out.

So I brewed this recipe last Thursday and everything went great. I mashed a little higher than the recipe recommended (start: 155F, finish: 154F), so I would make sure to have a good mouth feel. Many of my beers have been lacking in that dept.

I made a 2L starter with the Wyeast 1084 (Irish ale) 2 days before brew day, and decanted off half the liquid and pitched the yeast when the wort had cooled to 69F. Luckily, I went and bought a length of tubing for a blow off tube just in case, because by the next morning the fermentation was going crazy and had backwashed quite a bit of trub and wort into the jar at the end of the blow off tube. So I would definitely recommend a blow off tube with this recipe. I should have put the fermentor in a water bath, because by the next morning the temp was up at about 71F. So I put the bucket in a container of water and put some ice packs in there. It has been steady at 162F for the last few days and still bubbling away.

My OG came out a little high at 1.062 and I didn't boil off as much as I had planned so my volume in the fermentor was about 5.5gal, not the 5gal I had anticipated. Oh well, just means more of this delicious brew in the end. My efficiency is usually around 65%, so I had planned for that, but ended up being around 72% per BeerSmith's calculations.

The wort was black as night and tasted great going into the fermentor. Maybe a little more bitter than I would have guessed, but still great. Can't wait for this one to finish, so I can keg it and have it available for family on Thanksgiving.

Some pics from brew day:

IMG_1764.jpg

IMG_1765.jpg

IMG_1760-1.jpg

IMG_1771.jpg

IMG_1780.jpg

I tasted my first after bottling the batch on Thursday, 29 September. It was well-carbonated and went well with my rib eye steak, baked potato and fresh spinach with hot bacon dressing. It was a bit "young," but that will change with time. I WILL brew this recipe again!

Just brewed this up extract with some Scottish ale yeast. I don't know why I was thinking it was the Irish yeast, but it's not. I'll let you know how it goes!

Just checked my SG on this batch after fermenting for almost 2 weeks.
Oct 6 OG = 1.062
Oct 18 SG = 1.016

A little lower than I wanted, but oh well. Also the mouth feel was a little thinner than I wanted, but I'm hoping it wont be as noticeable once it's on gas. I plan to start at 2 volumes and see what it's like. The sample tastes really good, chocolately and slightly smokey. Not much bitterness detectable, but not cloyingly sweet by any means.

here are some pics of the hydro sample. You can see how dark it is, even in direct sunlight.

IMG_1914.jpg

IMG_1915.jpg

Just got done brewing this over the weekend. Went with the PM/Extract version and upped the dme and hops a little to boost it up. It's going like crazy in the fermenter right now, it should have gotten a blow off tube because the airlock has been changed 3 times now. My OG was somewhere in the mid 60's and the sample tasted great. Pitched this one without a started and pitched with Wyeast 1028.

Just got done brewing this one about 10 days ago... SG at 1.016 from 1.056... so I'm stoked... I added a little bit of hershey special dark powder to this one at flame out but is it common to have some pronounced bitterness over the chocolately coffee tones early? I assuming they'll probably tone down over the next 45 days of primary and bottle conditioning but just wanted to see if anyone else noticed that bitterness early...

I popped one open from my batch that got bottled on 29 September 2011. It was well-carbonated and the flavors had all mellowed together. I drank it with some outstanding homemade pizza and thoroughly enjoyed both the beer and the pizza!

I will definitely brew this recipe again...and again...and again...well, you get the idea!

This is a good brew! Mine has been in the bottle 9 days and primaried for 3 weeks. It obviously needs to age a little, but is pretty freaking good right now! I am getting ready to pop the top of my 2nd for the evening. I plan to try this as an all grain. This freakin extract is too damned expensive.

I brewed this up with a 3 1/2 gallon boil. Does anyone know what affect that might have on this beer as far as lactose utilization, etc?

I understand the original extract recipe on page 1 was a partial boil of, I think 4 or 4 1/2 gal. I brewed this with a 3.25 gal boil myself. I increased hops slightly to get the same IBU's, but didn't change anything else. Lactose is a non-fermentable sugar, so I don't think it's necessary to adjust? Perhaps someone more experienced can confirm. I topped off to1.061. The SG sample tasted like it's got the potential to be really good. After much less than 24 hrs it's fermenting like crazy; blow tube is definitely necessary (I made a 1 liter starter).

Just scale the lactose accordingly; it is non-fermentable but fully utilized.

When you say scale the lactose, you mean more for a smaller boil? I did a 3 1/2 gallon boil for this one and after reading this and that 1 lb of lactose for 5 gallons is more typical, I'm a little concerned about how this is going to turn out.

When you say scale the lactose, you mean more for a smaller boil? I did a 3 1/2 gallon boil for this one and after reading this and that 1 lb of lactose for 5 gallons is more typical, I'm a little concerned about how this is going to turn out.

I think he was thinking you made a 3.5 gal batch...then you should scale the lactose back. If you made a 5 gal batch with a 3.5 gal boil, you wouldn't want to change the amount. Either way I think you are just fine. Rdwhahb!

Back