Color to B+W

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShortSnoutBrewing

Kwanesum Chinook Illahee
Reaction score
Anyone know of an easy way to convert a color illustration to a black and white? And I mean black and white, not grayscale.

Anyone know of an easy way to convert a color illustration to a black and white? And I mean black and white, not grayscale.

I don't understand what you mean by not grayscale. Black and White is relative to the contrast between the colors, and that is exactly what a gray scaled image does. To get a black and white illustration without using grayscale you'd have to draw each element in Black or white.

There was an option back in Photoshop 5.5 to adjust color pallet to 2 color or something like that.

Worked great for two color screen printing. Home made Short Snout shirts in the making? :)

iammatt....first understand I know nothing about graphics, etc. I just need to take an image I have that is currently in color and convert it to black and white only.

I'm looking at getting the logo lasered on some wooden boxes. Not sure it's gonna work, but I need a b+w to see.

I know what you are trying to do. In photoshop you can use the "Threshold" adjustment under IMAGE>ADJUSTMENTS (results are not that great) or you can set your foreground color to black then go into the Filter Gallery in PS and use any of the "Sketch" filters.

Let me know if you need more help.

Or...the cheap, easy, and not too fancy way is to open the file in 'Paint' and save it as a monochrome bitmap.

No thresholding options though...but quick and available on every PC.

may i suggest you post the image and then maybe someone can do it for you and post it back up

Awesome Logo, and now I understand what you're trying to do. However, I am not sure on the process of getting something burnt onto wood. Let me do some googling to see if I can learn anything real quick, and get back to ya.

If you just want to remove the color, but leave the image as an RGB file, then one way to is de-saturate the colors. If you have photoshop it's something like shift+command (control)+U i think.

Or just find the saturation tool under edit-> mode and de-saturate it that way.

Not the greatest, but this is the best I could come up with by just messing around with levels, without having any grey.

ssbw1.png

ssbw2.png

you will need to convert this to line art. i was able to convert it to engraving. the software i have is minimal and cant do much but it is pretty sweet. called photoscape and free.

3491614133_0358ee3aa8_o.jpg

Not the greatest, but this is the best I could come up with by just messing around with levels, without having any grey.

ssbw1.png

ssbw2.png

i like that first one. the blacks will be hard on the laser.

one suggestion for the OP consider getting a iron stamp made. this way you use an iron to stamp it rather then laser.

http://www.brandnew.net/

Do you have a vector version? I could very easily convert it to just B&W in Illustrator. If I understand, the laser is either on or off, no screens right? So black or wood. The logo will have to be simplified a lot so there isn't huge expanses of black.

Back