GFCI Option

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captainoverspray

Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:
Yes as long as the contactor that you use is rated for the voltage/amps that the breaker is rated for. The only issue I would have with this is that if the GFCI is mounted inside of your control panel then when it trips you still actually have power inside of your control panel. I'd rather have something outside of the control panel on a separate breaker in a sub-panel or on the power cord. JMO

Would this work if wired into the control panel? http://www.amazon.com/Leviton-High-Current-GFCI-6895/dp/B002PSNLLA/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1334852924&sr=1-1-catcorr
I am starting to research and price out my control panel and ran across this on amazon. It would be wired in between the incoming power to the control panel and the main power relay that Kal has in his wiring diagrams. Here is a link to the spec sheet. http://communities.leviton.com/docs/DOC-2046

I hope that will work, i am using two of them in my panel!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes as long as the contactor that you use is rated for the voltage/amps that the breaker is rated for. The only issue I would have with this is that if the GFCI is mounted inside of your control panel then when it trips you still actually have power inside of your control panel. I'd rather have something outside of the control panel on a separate breaker in a sub-panel or on the power cord. JMO

That is a good point I didn't think of. I just realized that I can get a cutler hamer 30amp gfci breaker for $10 more than this. I have a 100 amp sub panel that is cutler hamer. The 200amp main panel is square d and those breakers are more. I think I will go with the breaker and then run 4 conductor power to where the brewery will be.

That is a good point I didn't think of. I just realized that I can get a cutler hamer 30amp gfci breaker for $10 more than this. I have a 100 amp sub panel that is cutler hamer. The 200amp main panel is square d and those breakers are more. I think I will go with the breaker and then run 4 conductor power to where the brewery will be.

A benefit to consider with the GFCI in the panel is that you could take your brewery to a different location where a 240 outlet is available with enough current capacity.

Back