Damn Austin Homebrew Supply!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petey_c

Reaction score
After carefully telling myself, "Yes that's a good sale, but maybe later..." I had a couple of homebrews and ordered 5 kits (4 anniversary kits and a 5th one that somehow snuck in there. After all, once you're past $100.00, it's free shipping.). Damn their evil hearts! Okay, so maybe they didn't have to twist my arm very much....

Don't feel bad. I threw a copy of BYOs 250 clone recipes in on my last order to knock it over 100.00. Funny how that works....

They did the same thing to me.

All I really wanted was to brew the Double Bastard clone, then they came along w/ that free shipping line and tricked me into ordering a Yeti clone as well.

I think you must work for them, because this thread makes me feel like I have to go to their site and order more beer right now.

smears, I agree. I felt like I'd turned into a zombie. "Must order beers. Beers..." I'd toyed with the idea for a week or so, then, pow! This means I'll have 8 brew kits to make. Now if I could just figure out who to blame for making me like to drink them so much...

Me and a buddy just put an order in together and ended up with 6 brew and some misc. stuff. We convinced our wives' by ordering this much we were actually saving money.

Forrest, Don't try and cloud the issue with facts. I know there's some mind control going on...

They should get a pliny the younger clone so a total noob such as myself could brew it as easily as the double bastard clone they sent me.

If that happened, there would be no way to stop me from ordering it immediately.

**sigh** Me tooooooooo....

My order:

Anniversary Pilsner
Anniversary Irish Red
Anniversary Dunkelweizen
Samuel Adams Summer Ale clone
Mozzarella Cheese Kit ( 4 Batches)
Beer Savers Silicone Caps
Hersbrucker Pellet Hops (1 oz)

Total: $100.96

I'll buy my yeast local when I'm ready to brew. :mug:

I did the same. Tried to resist, but in the end couldn't. Ordered the following:

1 IPA, extract
1 IPA, all grain
1 Blonde Rye, extract
1 Blonde Rye, all grain
1 Jumbo Nylon Bag

Should arrive Thursday, I'll be brewing Friday night.

Not only do you get free shipping but you also get those neat water dis-solvable starch packing peanuts...which I think are made of sorghum starch... which might be fermentable... hmmm..... I might have to order from AHS again to conduct an experiment.

A bit off topic, but why do y'all buy kits? Why don't you just buy the ingredients and mix them up yourself? That would seem to be a lot cheaper and you can find recipes anywhere.

Yep, made a $111 order yesterday, hopefully will be brewing this weekend. Ordered 4 recipe kits, plus a hydrometer to replace the one I dropped while kegging a AHS black ale & Bass Ale clone Friday. (Lesson: Don't wait until you're 5 beers in before you start kegging...)

A bit off topic, but why do y'all buy kits? Why don't you just buy the ingredients and mix them up yourself? That would seem to be a lot cheaper and you can find recipes anywhere.

Sometimes it is just easier to make a kit. Especially when a reputable company puts it together, you know if you do things right, it should turn out great.

those anniversary kits look like a killer deal... cheaper than locally putting recipes together i would guess.

anybody brew one yet?

Cheaper than $20?

There is no problem with buying kits. Most people want kits so I sell them kits.

Forrest

Forrest, has the issue with the credit cards been completely resolved? I want to go back and order from you guys but want to make sure it's not happening anymore.

unless you buy in bulk there is almost no chance you can put together a full recipe for some of the kit prices out there. especially this $20 deal.

chalk me up for an order

1 - 20th IPA w/ Greenbelt
1 - 20th English Brown
1 - Yeast Starter kit sans flask
2 - Falconer's Flight
1 - Cascade
1 - pack of Whirlfloc tabs
2# - corn sugar (for my Apfelwein)

Thanks AHS

If you buy in bulk and brew all-grain that might be true, but most of these orders have been for extract. One would be hard pressed to beat $20 per 5 gallon extract batch even if they bought in bulk. Not to mention that the shelf life of LME is not conducive to buying in bulk.

If you buy in bulk and brew all-grain that might be true, but most of these orders have been for extract. One would be hard pressed to beat $20 per 5 gallon extract batch even if they bought in bulk. Not to mention that the shelf life of LME is not conducive to buying in bulk.

20 bucks for a kit is very cheap... most of my AG batches cost significantly more than that... having said that, I don't do kits because I like to design my own recipes.

I just ordered the other day. I'm confident there's not going to be any issues. :)

Me too. Plus I used Paypal, which was known not to have been affected by the hiccup in security. Any company that takes Paypal, I try to use that instead of putting my CC info out on the interwebz more than needs to.

Me too. Plus I used Paypal, which was known not to have been affected by the hiccup in security. Any company that takes Paypal, I try to use that instead of putting my CC info out on the interwebz more than needs to.

+1 for paypal

So, AHS is taking paypal now. Don't think they had it before, did they?

I jumped on the sale also, what a great deal. My only complaint is that they milled the grains even though I noted unmilled. Even the stickers on the bags of milled grains say unmilled :/

I'll just have to mill it again i guess :mug:

Yea all mine were partial mash. I don't have the equipment yet to do all grain, nor the experience. Partial mash still allow for me to experiment and come out with a good beer. And each of the kits I purchased need different grains so bulk ordering grain is out of the question for me at this time.

That's another factor , I don't have a mill so I need them crushed.

Moving to Austin from NC in the within the next month or so, cant wait to see Austin Homebrew in person.

I just got 4 kits and some misc grains/hops.
Free shipping and got to use the 10% off coupon!

I was in the AHB store today and spent the least amount ever, just $20 for a pair of pinlock disconnects and a few other small things. With both AHB and Kegconnection being within a 40 minute drive of where I live, I'm always spending money. :p

Its too good of a deal to pass up haha or so they would have us believe :(

I have been wondering about that...not too long ago AHS had .50 cent beer kits (as in .50 cents per beer) listed on their site that ended up being about the same price in the end. Does anyone recall how the ingredients matched up? I've been wondering if these really are better kits or just better marketing.

I have been wondering about that...not too long ago AHS had .50 cent beer kits (as in .50 cents per beer) listed on their site that ended up being about the same price in the end. Does anyone recall how the ingredients matched up? I've been wondering if these really are better kits or just better marketing.

Some of the kits I ordered were 21.56 shipped. 48 beers for 21.56 = 44.9 cents per beer. Yum.
:tank:

These are not inferior kits. These kits are being sold below cost with an option for free shipping. The only shortcut is the price. Order soon before they are gone.

The 50 cent beers was just a listing of the beers we normally have that happened to fall below a certain price. Nothing special.

Forrest

I believe that the 10% off coupons were for people who ordered during the CC card crisis (late Jan/early Feb). It would have been great to get an additional 10% off my $20 brew kits! I'm such a cheap bastige (Johnny Dangerously) sometimes...

These are not inferior kits. These kits are being sold below cost with an option for free shipping. The only shortcut is the price. Order soon before they are gone.

The 50 cent beers was just a listing of the beers we normally have that happened to fall below a certain price. Nothing special.

Forrest

Thanks for the reply Forrest...that is great to hear! My order went in on Friday.

Back