Trying out a GF Kit ....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Androshen

Reaction score
My wife and I really liked the way our first batch turned out but we decided to try a kit for the next batch.
We only found 2 GF kits online ... both from the same place.
This is the one we are trying:
http://www.homebrewers.com/product/ALP1050/Gluten-Free-Honey-Ale-Beer-Kit.html

I want to see how that turns out and then use that to modify how I do future batches.
Can't see us sticking solely with kits though ... it was pricey compared to what I can get the individual ingredients for.

Mainly we are looking for possible ways to modify our first batch, which was nearly addictive and just got better the longer they sat .... thank god they are gone!
Thanks to lcasanova for the recipe! It was the American Brown Ale .....

My wife and I really liked the way our first batch turned out but we decided to try a kit for the next batch.
We only found 2 GF kits online ... both from the same place.
This is the one we are trying:
http://www.homebrewers.com/product/ALP1050/Gluten-Free-Honey-Ale-Beer-Kit.html

I want to see how that turns out and then use that to modify how I do future batches.
Can't see us sticking solely with kits though ... it was pricey compared to what I can get the individual ingredients for.

Mainly we are looking for possible ways to modify our first batch, which was nearly addictive and just got better the longer they sat .... thank god they are gone!
Thanks to lcasanova for the recipe! It was the American Brown Ale .....

I'm glad to hear that recipe turned out so well cuz I'm about to make it as well.

I hope the kit turns out just as well if not better. It sounds good as it is but also something that could be modified in the future.

I look forward to hearing about the results on this thread, so I'm subscribed.

Glad you liked the recipe! I'll be making it again this fall with some minor changes, but we'll see how that turns out.

Are you going to brew the beer just as the directions tell you to or are you going to modify it in any way?

The only modifications we made were actually suggested by the distributor .... that was the addition of irish moss and yeast nutrient. Other than that I just want to see what it turns out like.
If I like it I can always try duping the kit on my own ... the cost was more than the sum of the ingredients.
My wife and I agree that we still need to do *alot* more of the last batch ... :)

Tonight she drank the last GF beer from that batch and, since *I* am not celiac, she had scrounged up a Sam Adams for me .... she asked how my beer was and I just scowled at her .... it really sucked bad after drinking the GF homebrew!!

The yeast nutrient and irish moss were not included in the kit but were suggested by someone who works there ... I had to call them about something and their "gluten free guy" was VERY helpful.
I used Fermax yeast nutrient ... I have a bottle on hand from my local HBS.

The yeast is gluten free ... said right on the label in fact .... Danstar Nottingham yeast.

Thank you Androshen. I can assume that Fermax yeast nutrient is gluten free as well? I found the ingredients on their web page and it appears ok.

Looks like a good kit. The honey will dry it out a bit. Sorghum extract isn't the most fermentable stuff around. What hops did they provide?

Note: dry yeasts are generally gluten-free, as they are grown in a molasses-based solution.

Thank you Androshen. I can assume that Fermax yeast nutrient is gluten free as well? I found the ingredients on their web page and it appears ok.

I cannot confirm, but I think all yeast nutrient is GF. It is an ingredient commonly used in wine and meads, both of which are GF. They have some stuff I don't understand in there, but nothing I would call out as gluten-containing.

White labs quote:
White Labs Yeast Nutrient is a complex blend of nitrogen, vitamins, and co-factors. We designed it specifically for White Labs Yeast to increase vitality and viability in our yeast propagations. It is different from other nutrients in the market is because of the increased amount and variety of amino acids and cofactors. This increases the rate of metabolism, which results in faster fermentation and greater yeast viability. I t is an affordable way to increase the success of your brew. Our brewers have found it very beneficial for first generation, stuck fermentation and high gravity beers. Yeast nutrient can also be helpful when brewing high gravity beers. For commercial breweries, we package it in dry form in vials that are re-measured for 5 barrels. Nutrient is good for every generation and a must for beers above 1.070 SG or 17 Plato.

What hops did they provide?

The hops included were 1 oz of Mt. Hood pellet hops for bittering and 1 oz of Hallertau pellet hops for finishing.

I am not really a hoppy beer person, but my first batch (as scrumptious as it was) was too smooth to really taste like beer (not that it detracted from the addictiveness of it!!!) ... so I hope to add hops to get an edge but not to make it too hoppy.

Lord, I feel like a chemist!

Thank you david_42 and dkershner for the info. I am probably being overly cautious, but I know the consequences if I am not careful.

Androshen- I feel the same way about the commercially available gluten free beers. They lack that bite. But they are better than nothing.:mug:

Just got an email response from FerMax regarding if their yeast was gluten free:

"Sorry we are unable to help you with your beer recipe. We are industrial use only.

Thank you for your inquiry."

Email response from Wyeast Labs regarding their yeast:

"Our yeast is NOT gluten free.

Sorry..."

Hope this is of help to someone.

Androshen I was wondering if you could tell me at what temperature you fermented this beer. Mine is fermenting at 64 F and after reading some more threads in this forum I am beginning to think that this may be a little too cool.

Thanks

My "brew closet" in the basement had gotten down to about 65 earlier this winter so I put a small space heater in there and try to keep it about 70 - 75.
Since I have done this I had two 5 gallon carboys of wine and mead suddenly pick up and then finish out and are now ready to bottle.
So, I think I will try to keep the temp at about 70 - 75. The kit brewed nice at that temp and tasted promising when I bottled it. We should crack the bottles this coming weekend.

My "brew closet" in the basement had gotten down to about 65 earlier this winter so I put a small space heater in there and try to keep it about 70 - 75.
Since I have done this I had two 5 gallon carboys of wine and mead suddenly pick up and then finish out and are now ready to bottle.
So, I think I will try to keep the temp at about 70 - 75. The kit brewed nice at that temp and tasted promising when I bottled it. We should crack the bottles this coming weekend.

Great information! Thank you kindly. I am going to up the temperature in my basement a few degrees and see how it goes. At 64 F I am getting steady bubble action in the airlock, but I want to make sure this batch turns out ok.

Enjoy those bottles this weekend. I am jealous....a few weeks to go until I am there.:mug:

70ish is a good temp for wine, but a little too hot for beer, 65 would be about perfect for a standard ale yeast.

Tasted the kit batch this past weekend .... it is a different flavor than my first attempy. It is OK .... better than what we had bought in the stores - but I liked the first batch I made better. The kit said the carbonation would only take about 10 days but it seems a little light on the carbonation .... maybe it will build in time. It had a bit more bite than the brown ale I made so it definitly was a learning batch for me .... altogether, I am pleased.

Tasted the kit batch this past weekend .... it is a different flavor than my first attempy. It is OK .... better than what we had bought in the stores - but I liked the first batch I made better. The kit said the carbonation would only take about 10 days but it seems a little light on the carbonation .... maybe it will build in time. It had a bit more bite than the brown ale I made so it definitly was a learning batch for me .... altogether, I am pleased.

Thanks for the update. I am going to leave my kit batch in the primary for another week or so based on what I have read on this site. How long did you leave your batch in the primary? My directions said to check gravity at 5-7 days after initial brewing. My batch has been in the primary for 10 days and is still bubbling in the airlock (approx every 30-40 seconds). I plan on taking a gravity reading near the end of this week to see where things are.

I am going to buy the GF Dark Ale beer kit from the same supplier so I can have something to compare the GF Honey Ale to.

Just an update ... after a couple more weeks, the flavor of this beer is definitely improving!
Still not as good as my first batch - but certainly has possibilities!!

Just an update ... after a couple more weeks, the flavor of this beer is definitely improving!
Still not as good as my first batch - but certainly has possibilities!!

Thanks for the update. My batch has been in the bottle for almost 3 weeks. I drank a few after 8 days in the bottle. It had a bitter start, but a smooth finish. It wasn't great, but it wasn't bad. I drank a total of six over the course of a week and decided to wait until a full three weeks to try it again.

On a related note, I brewed the GF Dark Ale kit (from the same supplier as the GF Honey Ale kit) on Saturday. It started to ferment much faster than the Honey Ale. This beer has great color and I am hoping it turns out alright.

How long did you leave your batch in the primary? My directions said to check gravity at 5-7 days after initial brewing. My batch has been in the primary for 10 days and is still bubbling in the airlock (approx every 30-40 seconds). I plan on taking a gravity reading near the end of this week to see where things are.

I think you will find the beer improves if you let it on the yeast, in the primary, for at least 2 weeks. I let my sit and bulk condition for at least 3 weeks. The yeast clean up after themselves.
Brew some more (get another primary container, too) and let the beer age.
good luck.

Thank you midfielder5. I'll give this 2nd batch at least 3 weeks. This time I will try to let it sit in the bottle for at least 3 weeks as well. The waiting is by far the hardest part....

It is personal preference on the length of primary after the fermentation is done; just wanted to point out the option. Try different things and see what works for you. Enjoy.

My goal is to get enough beer ahead that I will always be drinking beer that has been bottled for *several* months ......

My goal is to get enough beer ahead that I will always be drinking beer that has been bottled for *several* months ......

I know exactly what you mean, I have 7 cases of GF beer and a case of 22 ozers... Since I am moving I might take a month or 2 off from brewing. Not looking forward to moving all this beer though :drunk:

Thanks for the update. My batch has been in the bottle for almost 3 weeks. I drank a few after 8 days in the bottle. It had a bitter start, but a smooth finish. It wasn't great, but it wasn't bad. I drank a total of six over the course of a week and decided to wait until a full three weeks to try it again.

On a related note, I brewed the GF Dark Ale kit (from the same supplier as the GF Honey Ale kit) on Saturday. It started to ferment much faster than the Honey Ale. This beer has great color and I am hoping it turns out alright.

How did the dark ale turn out? I'm about to tackle my first GF brew, and don't know if I should use one of these kits, or try an extract recipe from here...

How did the dark ale turn out? I'm about to tackle my first GF brew, and don't know if I should use one of these kits, or try an extract recipe from here...

The advantage of a kit is that everything you need comes in a box. With a recipe from here you just need to get the required ingredients and follow the recipe...or tweak it to your liking. I've never done a kit and am pretty satisfied with my beers but- try a kit, try a recipe, make up your own, either way you're brewing :D

patd- The dark ale is actually turning into a great beer the more time I give it in the bottle. From the start it was not as bitter as the Honey ale beer kit was (which also has turned out to be an excellent beer as time progresses.)

My first two GF brews were kits and I feel that they were a great way to assure a decent outcome. They also gave me a starting point for future recipes. I just brewed an extract recipe that was posted here and it has gone well so far.

I agree with lcasanova that either way you are making beer and that is what it is all about...

Back