mill rpm

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishnfever

Reaction score
Why is a slow rpm better than a fast rpm for milling your own grain?

Just asking.

For that price you could pick up a 1/2 hp cap start electric motor on ebay then get a couple shivs to bring the RPM's down to around 200. With that setup you would have no speed variables in the equation, just one good constant. If you stick with the drill route Harbor Freight's will save you some money.

Thanks for all the replies. I just got home from lowes with the Porter Cable 1/2" drill. Nice drill and a 3 year warranty. Maybe some day I will set up my mill with a cap start motor and pulley set up.

For that price you could pick up a 1/2 hp cap start electric motor on ebay then get a couple shivs to bring the RPM's down to around 200. With that setup you would have no speed variables in the equation, just one good constant. If you stick with the drill route Harbor Freight's will save you some money.

I would suggest to beware of this approach. I know that the Barley Crusher (which might be a lot lighter duty) explicit recommends against it. Using a pulley puts a lot of sideways stress on the bearing, that is not present when using a drill.

I just bought a Millars Mill and I have tried to use it with a drill and it didn't work well, there is smoke getting out of the drill ! I milled 16 pound of grain for a imperial stout by hand and it took me one hour and a half. Can someone help me ?

Back