Fermenting Cider w/ Turbo yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lthursdayl

Reaction score
Has anyone tried making a very high alcohol content cider with turbo yeast and a whole bunch of sugar? If so how long did it need to age for, and did you back sweeten, add other ingredients, so on and so forth? I realize this may be a stupid question but I am just curious.
Thanks

Turbo yeast has never (in my experience) produced a very drinkable product. You'd be better off making Edwort's Apfelwein and aging it for 6-12 months. Do a search for the recipe.

I have'nt used turbo yeast, but i have 2 ciders,1 with 4 pounds of sugar per gal,and 1 with 5 pounds of sugar per gal. 1 has lalvin 1118 yeast and the other has wlp099 super high gravity yeast in it,they are both taking a longgggg time to brew,but they are well on their way.

you can use turbo yeast... just don't expect it to taste anything like apples. Your better off making applejack in the freezer if you want anything stronger.

Although not in the usa :p that would be bad :rolleyes:

The 4# batch started at 1.165, it is now at 1.060 and still cooking nicely. The 5# batch started at 1.195, it is now at 1.150, The air lock is bubbling good but the abv takes more time this one could take 3 or 4 months.

I'm thinking of using turbo yeast next year, get the abv as high as posible and then freeze distill.should'nt have to freeze more than twice,and the turbo yeast brews in 3 days or less.

Turbo yeast is designed for distillation, and ester production is not an issue in that arena. If you really have to use it to get ~10 percent, use an ale yeast first, and as that kicks out spike it with a champaigne yeast or the Turbo.

Or else ya better plan on some heavy flavoring.

freeze distill
To avoid confusion, use the term fractional freezing or freeze concentration. In concentrating your beverage this way, you will also concentrate off flavors from the turbo yeast. Again, it's the wrong yeast for the application. If all you want is fast, high proof hooch, you're on the wrong forum.

That is not what I am looking for. Just saw the turbo yeast at my LHBS and was curious. Sorry if this is not appropriate for this forum.

I think it's perfectly appropriate.

You asked, and got replies from different points of view, and I'm glad you asked. (Again, for regular brewing, I've tried it, and it has some wacky, bitter, sweet-n-sour, yeasty, mung flavor.
But ... it *DO* work FAST!

Hmmm, well I learned a little something today, I think. And I'll pitch some thing TOMORROW! Sue me, it's 13 outside.

If you did use turbo yeast,from what i understand about the stuff,when you are done fermenting after 5 days and reached 20-25% abv you need to put it through a activated carbon filter. The only thing that worries me is if the cider will pass through the filter alright.By using the filter you remove alot of the off flavors of the turbo yeast.

Turbo yeast is designed for distillation, and ester production is not an issue in that arena. If you really have to use it to get ~10 percent, use an ale yeast first, and as that kicks out spike it with a champaigne yeast or the Turbo.

Or else ya better plan on some heavy flavoring.
The last cider I made was just over 16% using Lalvin-1118, or 6, I forget which. ;)

I once did a five-gallon batch of apple juice with five pounds of sugar and Lalvin-1118 Yeast, myself (that yeast is used for high content wines, by the way). Being my first brew and just wanting to see how many people I could get drunk for $15, we ended up with this VERY high alcohol content... thing that after two weeks (yeah, we were too eager to have a drink) took a sip of the most bittersweet drink known to man.

I threw in a few tea-bags and shook it cold in a few of the jugs to loosen up the flavour, and we somehow ended up with a mix that, after half an hour of sitting in silence trying to put a name to it, we decided could be described as nothing other than "Chex Mix."

Don't ask me how.

Or force cider. Follow others' mistakes and go by the recipe, but have fun with it at the same time.

Back