airlock has stopped

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jameswardpeterson

Reaction score
first off: THIS IS NOT A BEER, it is a cider, but there is no beginners cider forum, so i figured this was the best place i could come for help.

so yea, my airlock has stopped after about a week of brewing, with it working fine for the most of that time. over the past few days I wasnt able to check up on it and now the airlock is still. I didnt get an OG on it but its the panty dropper cider recipe posted in the cider forum. im guessing it is somewhere around 1.08-1.1, so I figure this is way too soon for the cider to be stopping. I tried to take a gravity reading with an aquarium hydromiter (i know i need a real one) but the gauge only goes up to 1.030, and the needle was pointing way past that. im using cote de blancs yeast (pitched dry) and it has been at a pretty much constant temperature of 68-70* F. I also added 1/4 tsp of wyeast yeast nutrient.

anyone got any advice for me? I have another packet of cote de blancs yeast but I would rather not have to try and repitch the yeast...

Your best bet is to get an Hydrometer and check the gravity. I'm not sure what your FG target is, so I can't help you there. The important thing to remember is, airlock activity, or lack thereof, is no indication that fermentation has stopped.

Yup...You sir...need a hydrometer.
I will say that Cote Des Blanc has pooped out on me reliably at 12% not the 14% that they claim.

How big is this batch? If it's bigger than 1 gallon...then add more nutrient.

Then if it doesn't pick back up...you may need another $0.98 worth of yeast.

I just stirred up the lees in the bottom of the fermenter per advice from someone in the chatroom, I'll check on it a little later tonight and see if it has come back to life. If not then, hopefully tomorrow morning.

I wasn't in chat, so I don't know the context of the instructions, so forgive me if I'm assuming wrongly. But you should NOT stir it up. Not unless you know it is stuck, and you don't know that without a hydrometer reading. I am guessing it's in the .998 or so range, but you won't know without checking it.

Back