Stop calling it Lambic!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hold up. If you need to rant,go the whole hog and get it all off your chest mate!
But i do get where you are coming from. Lambic just sounds better than" an ale brewed to aproximate the traditional lambic style", no?

You had to be baiting for a debate with this one. Can we not call other beer styles by their original name unless we completely follow the traditional processes? Is it a pilsner without decoction for example?

If you need a coolship to make a Lambic, what's the point of having BJCP categories 17D and 17F. There would be very few if any entries. The guidelines say nothing about having to use coolships or needing to be spontaneously fermented.

You had to be baiting for a debate with this one. Can we not call other beer styles by their original name unless we completely follow the traditional processes? Is it a pilsner without decoction for example?

Can it even be a pilsner without having been brewed in Pilsen?

I bet you correct spelling mistakes too.

Nope, just when people use 'pallet' instead if 'palate'.

If you need a coolship to make a Lambic, what's the point of having BJCP categories 17D and 17F. There would be very few if any entries. The guidelines say nothing about having to use coolships or needing to be spontaneously fermented.

I forgot the BJCP guidelines are the end all be all of beer knowledge.

If you really want to get technical just using a coolship does not make it a lambic....self'd

Didn't say that it did.

I guess that makes Anchor Steam a lambic.

Guessing you don't know what a coolship is. It's different from an open fermenter.

Not getting your point with the link. Of course I am already aware of everything written on that page, so...if there is a point you're trying to make you should actually write it out instead of lifting your eyebrows suggestively at your computer screen.

Also, you could potentially be more anal retentive if you corrected everyone's spelling and grammar as well, but it would be a stretch.

They may not be, but if they can call it a Lambic, then so can I.

You can call a pig a donkey, but it won't make it true.

Not getting your point with the link. Also, you could potentially be more anal retentive if you corrected everyone's spelling and grammar as well, but it would be a stretch.

Point of the link was that it says anchor doesn't use coolships.

To avoid you trying to pull this "I won because the other guy quite BS":

I'm not wrong you are just narrow-minded and foolish. I'll bet your rectum is so tight that you poop diamonds.

It's spelled "quit."

:ban::ban::ban::ban::tank::tank::tank::drunk::drunk::drunk::drunk::fro::fro::fro::fro::p:p:p

it's not a Pilsner unless it's brewed in Pilsn, Czech Republic.

Guessing you don't know what a coolship is. It's different from an open fermenter.

Steam beers were traditionally made using a cool ship, not an open fermenter. well, they may also have used an open ferment, but they did use coolships. I believe Anchor still uses them. Edit: just read the link posted earlier. It says Anchor does use coolships, they just don't actually cool with them anymore.

not sure what the whole deal with it is anyway. I'm sure not every lambic brewer in Lambeek, Belgium uses the exact same methods and tools as every other lambic brewer there. it seems kinda like saying you can't build a deck using wood and nails and call it a deck because someone else built their deck with wood and screws.

if you were to say it's not a lambic because it wasn't made in Lambeek, you'd be right, but everyone is still going to call it a lambic, just like everyone calls a beer made like a pilsner a pilsner.

images.jpeg

No, but Gabe actually has a point. I hate the pLambic crap... but if your gonna pitch a pre-culture, call it an American wild ale, or a sour ale... I would go as far as saying that it doesn't count as a Lambic unless your in Belgium, but I suppose as long as you are using a coolship, it's cool.

Yes, but should we then not call an English bitter a English bitter because it doesn't have the exact water, malt, etc? My rebuttal to that argument is simply that lambics are a more specialized and storied category.

My two cents.

Well, we need to get rid of the entire "Kolsch" designation too, while we're at it. Even if it's slow cooled in a coolship, spontaneously fermented, 30% unmalted wheat, turbid mashed, aged hops, and barrel aged, if it's not from the right part of Belgium it's still not a Lambic.

In commercial terms, I agree with you entirely. The same way I don't think commercial brewers outside of Cologne should be able to market their beer as Kolsch. I don't know if I've seen an American "Lambic" but I know I've seen plenty of American "Kolsch" brews.

But as far as homebrew, that's the beer I'm going for, and that's what I'll call it.

Yup, I'll be brewing a lambic soon :D

I get where OP is coming from and I know it won't actually be a lambic. But it will have the traditional grain bill, be turbid mashed, and have critters harvested from Belgian examples, so I'm still going to call it a lambic. And when I brew the next one or two and blend I will call it a gueuze. If you do disagree strongly you don't have to drink it :p

If it looks like a lambic, tastes like a lambic, and is made like a lambic (with exception to a cool ship) then who cares.

With the information about Mort Subite not using a coolship does that make their beer that is called lambic not a lambic? To flip it, if a Belgian brewery makes an IPA with all american hops is it not an American IPA if it fits the character we expect?

Just about every style of home brew does not meet a certain geographic criteria. Berliner Weisse not in Berlin well I guess it's not a Berliner Weisse then. West Coast style IPA brewed on the East coast, you're out. Flanders Red/Brown, Saisons, lambic, blond, Belgian anything really, we'll that's out of the question. English ales, the list goes on. But I personally would rather call it a lambic than a pLambic any damn day of the week. It's time to get off the high horse.

Just about every style of home brew does not meet a certain geographic criteria. Berliner Weisse not in Berlin well I guess it's not a Berliner Weisse then. West Coast style IPA brewed on the East coast, you're out. Flanders Red/Brown, Saisons, lambic, blond, Belgian anything really, we'll that's out of the question. English ales, the list goes on. But I personally would rather call it a lambic than a pLambic any damn day of the week. It's time to get off the high horse.

But not every style has a "Protected Designation of Origin" or similar designation. Kolsch does. As does Lambic, Gueuze, and all the associated beers. I believe Berliner Weisse is on the list, but I'm not positive.

But not every style has a "Protected Designation of Origin" or similar designation. Kolsch does. As does Lambic, Gueuze, and all the associated beers. I believe Berliner Weisse is on the list, but I'm not positive.

But most of those designations only apply in the host country. It doesn't apply to us. USA USA USA!

But most of those designations only apply in the host country. It doesn't apply to us. USA USA USA!

I believe they apply across the entire EU. But yeah, I don't think they're enforceable in the US, and definitely not abided by by all brewers.

As far as commercial beer, I think it's a nod of respect to the origin and tradition of the style to respect those designations regardless of whether or not it's legally required, but only in the context of sale and marketing so a purchasing customer isn't misled about the rich history of the style they're drinking.

Again, as far as homebrew, usually the homebrewer has at least a clue what they're brewing and where it comes from, and they aren't selling it, so I don't give two halves of a **** what they call it. I have no problem referring to my Kolsch as Kolsch, not Kolsch-styled. Or my Lambic as Lambic, instead of pLambic.

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:C:1997:021:0013:0014:EN:PDF

http://ec.europa.eu/agriculture/qua...b24mY3t9dJQPflg3xbL2YphGT4k6zdWn34!-370879141

Lambic is just a legal definition. Just like bourbon and other things. We're not commercial entities selling the beer that would violate a law so who gives a dammn what we call the beer. So even if an American brewery like ooh Allagash made a spontaneously fermented beer using a coolship technically its still not a lambic because it's not from the legally defined region. Of course Allagash doesn't call its beer a lambic just out of respect for the legal definition in the EU I would assume. For all intent and purpose the coolship series is a lambic brewed in Maine. The flavor has a ways to go but they're pretty good. Eitherway if spontaneously fermenting a beer or using yeast/bacteria that you obtain from a bottle of lambic I'll call it a lambic unless I'm selling the beer.

Back