Doubled DME in starter accidently

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Acyr90

Reaction score
Instead of 1/2 cup DME I added 1 cup along with 2 cups of water. It looked very thick so I added about another cup of water to balance it out.

It's been about 8 hours after pitching the yeast and it hit me that I measured it wrong. Now it makes sense why it looked thick. Any suggestions? Let it sit and hope for the best tomorrow when I brew?

just recently did the same thing myself. I had personally planned on brewing 48ur hours later anyway though.

Did yours turn out okay? I'm reading it just puts a lot of stress on the yeast, but won't kill it.

Kinda seems like it defeats the purpose of a starter except for knowing my yeast isn't dead on arrival, but that's what I get for not paying attention.

Not much help to you now but generally you want your starter wort to be somewhere between 1.030 and 1.040 so as the yeast can get a bit of a workout but not get too stressed out from chomping on overly dense, sugary solutions.
Try and make sure to do a hydrometer sampling before pitching your expensive yeast.

Can't really comment on how stressed out the yeast you've pitched this time will be, as don't know how high a gravity your starter is, but you're probably OK. I suppose it depends on what the beer you're about to make is. They'll still make beer but in future the more ideal the conditions you provide for the starter the better the end product will be.

Would you guys use it start over and postpone brewing for a few days? LHBS is about an hour away

Personally, I'm a bit of a cheap bastard, so I'd give it a go with the available goods.
Like I said previously, the yeast being a bit stressed might lead to some minor imperfections in the brew, equally possible that they might not, then, leaving the brew in primary for a good few days after reaching FG for them to clear up some of the by-products you'll more than likely end up with a perfectly good beer.

Giving the yeast absolute ideal conditions in a starter will just make them do an even better job during the fermentation round and mean, as long as good fermentation temps are maintained, less probability of off flavours and smells needing cleaned up.

In the end, it's your call. Only you can really assess how much more than the recommended amount of DME you used for your starter.

Thanks for the advice, I think I'm just gonna go for it. Worse case scenario I learn what not to do and never make the mistake again. Fingers crossed for it coming out perfectly fine though!

Did yours turn out okay? I'm reading it just puts a lot of stress on the yeast, but won't kill it.

Kinda seems like it defeats the purpose of a starter except for knowing my yeast isn't dead on arrival, but that's what I get for not paying attention.

yep turned out fine. brewed and pitched when I had planned and 9.5 hours later lots if krausen and airlock bubbling happily.:D

Back