Am I the only one who dislikes IPAs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sonofgrok

n00basaurus
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have never been a big fan of IPAs. It has been so long since I had one though and IPAs are all anyone I talk to seems to be able to talk about that I got suckered back into trying one and I am again disappointed.

I don't buy beer anymore. I love the beer that I brew but beer isn't something I go out of my way to buy commercially and taste etc. I am really more of a wine drinker.

Anyway, my pipeline ran dry with the cider I am supposed to be drinking now needing more time to age. I have some wine but I really wanted to drink some beer or some cider or some bubbly. My wife was at the stor and I asked her to pick up a sixer for me.

She came home from costco with a 24 pack of Marble Brewery IPA for me. Now I actually LOVE Marble brewery and their IPA has high marks so I figured what the heck.

Yuck. As I am trying to choke down my second, thinking about being stuck with 22 more of these things, I am reminded... I really can't stand IPAs.

Am I the only one? Crazy? Or is there anyone else out there that just doesn't like IPAs?

P.S. As far as beers go I love stouts and the occasional amber also brewing a hefe right now that smells AWESOME and I can't wait to try so its not that I am a beer hater and I try all different styles. IPAs just seem super popular with people and I can't stand them.

people have very specific tastes.

Some dislike IPAs
Some dislike Belgians
Some dislike hefes
some dislike stouts
some dislike anything thats not coors lite
etc etc etc

drink what you like.

You know, I LOVE IPAs and they are my favorite style. I bet I could drink them everyday, and never be tired of them.

But I think many people love malty beers, or even sours, so it's just a matter of personal taste. My husband used to be totally into malty beers, including the "Dead Guy" clone I make, and loved dopplebocks and bocks and other lagers. He gradually came over to the dark side, and now prefers hoppy American pale ales, though. He still doesn't like super bitter beers, though.

I have a friend who loves stouts, and prefers a stout over 90% of the other beers. He never gets tired of them. He only drinks my IPA when I have no stout or other "acceptable" beer, and he only drinks that because it's beer and it's free. Not because he likes it!

I have never been a big fan of IPAs. It has been so long since I had one though and IPAs are all anyone I talk to seems to be able to talk about that I got suckered back into trying one and I am again disappointed.

I don't buy beer anymore. I love the beer that I brew but beer isn't something I go out of my way to buy commercially and taste etc. I am really more of a wine drinker.

Anyway, my pipeline ran dry with the cider I am supposed to be drinking now needing more time to age. I have some wine but I really wanted to drink some beer or some cider or some bubbly. My wife was at the stor and I asked her to pick up a sixer for me.

She came home from costco with a 24 pack of Marble Brewery IPA for me. Now I actually LOVE Marble brewery and their IPA has high marks so I figured what the heck.

Yuck. As I am trying to choke down my second, thinking about being stuck with 22 more of these things, I am reminded... I really can't stand IPAs.

Am I the only one? Crazy? Or is there anyone else out there that just doesn't like IPAs?

P.S. As far as beers go I love stouts and the occasional amber also brewing a hefe right now that smells AWESOME and I can't wait to try so its not that I am a beer hater and I try all different styles. IPAs just seem super popular with people and I can't stand them.

No, someone starts one of these threads every two weeks.

I'm 50/50 with them, but I still don't consider myself a "hop head" by any means. I've tried New Belgium's Red Hoptober, Strait to Ale's Monkeynaught and dislike both of them. I hate that bitter hoppy after taste I get after every burp.

On the other hand, Sweetwater's IPA is just freaking awesome as is Moccasin Bend Brewing's Centennial X5. As for home brews, same thing, mixed results. I've tried the Chinook IPA and the Dead Ringer IPA. I don't like the Chinook, but love the Dead Ringer.

What this has taught me as a novice brewer is, more than likely if an IPA is loaded with Centennial hops, I'm going to like it.

If you're wondering if there exits an IPA you might like, try the Dead Ringer. You can get a 1 gallon version of it, if you don't want to do the 5 gallon.

I started out not liking IPAs, but liking about 90% of other styles I've had. Over the year or so I have been brewing, I've grown to appreciate and enjoy a good IPA.

I wasn't a big fan of IPA's until I started drinking Lagunitas. Kind of used that to ween myself onto them now, I love most all IPA's.

I'm with you on the IPA's. I don't like hoppy beers. It's part of the reason my wife bought me a starter kit from the HBS. We had gone out to dinner at Sierra Nevada. The waiter just kept telling us the beers were HOPPY. I love cooking. So, she figured i could brew a beer that we would enjoy. So, we have a stout aging and a brown ale just bottled.

I second the motion on the IPA's. :(

I only like an IPA if I'm having a side of warm Greek yogurt. Seems to pair well.
not really. :tank:

I don't like American IPA's, but enjoy English IPA's. A nice, well-balanced blend of malt and earthy hops with slight bitterness. Nothing overwhelming on either end is right up my alley.

My SWMBO on the other hand is a Hophead and likes pucker in a bottle. A good ESB or a 70 shilling ale just bores the hell out of her.

You say beerito, I say beerato

I used to HATE IPAs, couldn't get them down without a huge grimace. I loved big malty beers like shwartzbiers and doppelbocks and I definitely preferred the really sweet belgian beers.

Then I found sours and that was all she wrote. I haven't found a sour I despise besides the Duchesse de Bourgogne (tastes like a concentrated balsamic vinegar glaze for chicken). I also love really weird funky farmhouse/saisons.

What helped me get over my distaste is that my husband is a HUGE hophead. So, I'd order what I'd like and I'd be able to take a couple of sips of his beer, express my distaste, and return to my beer. Do this several times a week over the course of 2 years and voila, I can drink and enjoy IPAs.

For me it honestly depends, like most beers, on a lot of things. I have had some that are in my top 10 favorites and some that seemed like I was sucking on a pine branch.

My preferences seem to change with the seasons, but an IPA is always a good choice.

Not every style is for everyone though. I'm not a big fan of ciders doesn't mean I won't keep trying new ones in hope of one day being turned.

My taste changes with the seasons too. I like an IPA but it has to be balanced. There are too many that are hopped up to the extreme without balance.

I like what I like. Sometimes what I like is different than what I liked before. Sometimes its the same.
You should like what you like too. Sometimes what you like will be the same as what someone else likes. Sometimes it will be different.

I think that covers it ;)

Brewitt said:
I like what I like. Sometimes what I like is different than what I liked before. Sometimes its the same.
You should like what you like too. Sometimes what you like will be the same as what someone else likes. Sometimes it will be different.

I think that covers it ;)

I think you covered it!

Let's. Not forget that many of the beer styles we all know were originally regional styles correspondiing to what the locals called 'beer' and pretty much every style was thought deviant by foriegners with different ideas of what beer should be ( light, dark, thin, strong, not sour, etc) I remember reading an account of an 18th century traveler complaining about beer being undrinkable because it tasted like smoke. He didn't think , oh what an interensting style of beer, more like, 'thiis beer is all wrong'.

I don't understand.
Not like IPA's???
Is there any such thing as too much hops?
Like too much money, too cool of a 32 Ford roadster or too many pretty women after me.

I do love stouts and Porter's among other beers also.
IPA's might not even be my favorite, but I need lots of them anyway.

baby2a.jpg

Love it, or hate it, for me it was evolution. Start with rice beer (because you don't know any better). On to an amber bock, amber, pale, a light IPA.. Now your hooked and too far gone. Before you know it your deep in the hops, drinking beers that other can't stand.... But there's no going back.

Brewtah said:
Is there anybody out there... Yes! I like a lot of beers and hey, I can be pretty open minded when in a pinch, but uber IPA's don't do much for me. Try Deschutes Chain Breaker white IPA

Chain Breaker is excellent!!

I'd rather buy a good beer over a free one from coors, bud, or miller any day! Just saying.

I couldn't agree more.
Last weekend a buddy invited me over for a few beers.
I always bring beer ( store bought ) when I go over there because I want to drink good beer.
Last Friday he said not to bring beer because he's got it covered.
I don't want to offended him but I can't drink his Busch beer so I brought a couple six packs of real beer and left it in the truck while found out what he had.
It turned out he had drinkable beer so I got to bring mine home, but I made sure I had insurance because free crappy beer is still crappy beer.

I couldn't agree more.
Last weekend a buddy invited me over for a few beers.
I always bring beer ( store bought ) when I go over there because I want to drink good beer.
Last Friday he said not to bring beer because he's got it covered.
I don't want to offended him but I can't drink his Busch beer so I brought a couple six packs of real beer and left it in the truck while found out what he had.
It turned out he had drinkable beer so I got to bring mine home, but I made sure I had insurance because free crappy beer is still crappy beer.

Sounds like a good reason to have a 1 gallon ball lock keg (or three as I do) and portable CO2 setup. :D

taylor_1gallon_keg-57347.jpg

Sounds like a good reason to have a 1 gallon ball lock keg (or three as I do) and portable CO2 setup. :D

I have a bar at my home.
I can have between one and five kegs on tap at a time, plus the Scotch I like.
To top it off, I don't have to drive when I drink at my bar so I don't bring kegs to other people's houses.

They want good homebrew, they come to my house!

I have a bar at my home.
I can have between one and five kegs on tap at a time, plus the Scotch I like.
To top it off, I don't have to drive when I drink at my bar so I don't bring kegs to other people's houses.

They want good homebrew, they come to my house!

I'll be bringing one over to my sister/mother's place xmas eve... That way I'll have great brew to drink. Not to mention I spend the night over there on xmas eve, so that I don't need to drive early in the morning to get over there. I might even bring some of my old ale and wee heavy (recently kegged, carbonating in the basement) to enjoy. :D Not sure if those will be in tiny keg or bottles. If nothing else, I'll be bringing my English IPA with me, since everyone there likes it.

I'll be bringing one over to my sister/mother's place xmas eve... That way I'll have great brew to drink. Not to mention I spend the night over there on xmas eve, so that I don't need to drive early in the morning to get over there. I might even bring some of my old ale and wee heavy (recently kegged, carbonating in the basement) to enjoy. :D Not sure if those will be in tiny keg or bottles. If nothing else, I'll be bringing my English IPA with me, since everyone there likes it.

I make exceptions like that also.
My folks for example aren't going to want me to bring beer to sit around and drink every weekend or whenever they break out the grill.
I made pumpkin ale for that very reason this year that I hope everyone likes a lot. I don't plan on drinking a lot of it myself after Christmas.

Back