Mixing Lambic Dregs for a starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamjackson

Reaction score
So...I was a bit tipsy when this was done but, 2 weeks ago, we did a blueberry wild beer tasting at my place.

http://adam-jackson.net/beer/review-super-blueberry-beer-tasting-extravaganza/

Cascade Blueberry
Upland Blueberry
Homebrew Blueberry
Ithaca Excelsior! Le Bleu
Cantillon Blåbær Lambik

So, everyone left, the Dregs were still in the bottles so I poured them all into a wine goblet mixed together and covered with plastic wrap. Since then, the glass has just been sitting in my cellar.

What now? Can I take this weird combo dregs goop and pitch it? Can I make a sour beer from it or am I just keeping this gross goop for no reason at all?

Should be able to get something going, but I would make a low gravity start to get things going. Two ideas would be one just ferment with the dregs or add at secondary. Worries would be contamination from the bottles getting a hold with just a ferment from the dregs. Also some of pLambic brewers will add dregs to complement the yeast blends. Also if your afraid to do a full batch there is a post of small batch dregs.

Jon

1) Low gravity starter and pitch in the "goop".
2) Ferment it out, see if it's nasty or still good. (aka no mold or baby diaper)
3) Make a full size starter and make you some sour beer!

:mug:

AmandaK said:
1) Low gravity starter and pitch in the "goop".
2) Ferment it out, see if it's nasty or still good. (aka no mold or baby diaper)
3) Make a full size starter and make you some sour beer!

:mug:

Thanks! I did just look at the glass. Getting some really nice Brett bacteria forming.

Thought I'd include some photos. Dregs are total about 7 ounces from all of the bottles. Time in my cellar at 62 Degrees F under plastic static wrap is about 3 weeks.

RZWrh.jpg

4iQvC.jpg

It smells fantastic but it's also dregs of beer fermented on blueberries so that's probably why :)

Back