Thermostat temp controller?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

supaphly42

Reaction score
Just bought a house, finally get my own brewing area! Anyway, I also got an upright freezer from my parents. I had everything for kegging except, so I'm rather excited. We're going to replace the dial-type thermostat in the house with a digital programmable one. However, since it's for both heat and a/c, I'm wondering if I can use that somehow as a temp control in the freezer?

The thermostat likely runs on low voltage AC (like 24 volts) and can switch only milliamps of current. So you'd probably need a transformer to run the thermostat and a couple of relays to switch the compressor and a heat source.

By the time you add all of that up, you'd probably do better using a Love controller or similar all-in-one device...

Cheers!

Just bought a house, finally get my own brewing area! Anyway, I also got an upright freezer from my parents. I had everything for kegging except, so I'm rather excited. We're going to replace the dial-type thermostat in the house with a digital programmable one. However, since it's for both heat and a/c, I'm wondering if I can use that somehow as a temp control in the freezer?

I think this is exactly what you're looking for.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Homebrewing...ifridge_temperature_controller_i_made_with_a/

Nice to see a fellow upstate brewer!

Hi

The guys on eBay are currently selling the STC-1000 for $20 delivered. You can probably sell your old house thermostat for almost that much on Craig's List. The STC will do a much better job. It's much more configurable and it has a compressor protection setting.

Bob

Back